Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a new poster to this forum and have been interested in what has been said here and also very interested in what has been said by some so-called TV experts on descisions made by the referee during games. Now you may be thinking what am I going on about but it is no coincidence that I have recently passed my referee entrance exam so if anyone has any questions about refereeing or descisions made just post them here.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
How does one move up from reffing small matches to officiating matches in the EPL and other major leagues>

Do you have to pass written exams and officiate a certain amount of matches or what?:confused:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the EPL and other leagues but in Scotland you start off doing youth games e.g. U-16 and below then you sit a refresher exam, if you pass you can move up to amateur football which is like Sunday league teams and pub teams you then move up to junior football which are teams that are trying to get into the higher leagues teams like Hill o' Beath and Linlithgow in Scotland. You are then assesed to see how you are improving and you can then move up to Third Division football and then upwards you can become a Fifa referee if you can be a Class 1 referee like Hugh Dallas or John Rowbotham who has now retired.

I was hoping people would ask me about the rules or stuff like that.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Alright, thanks BigScotty.:)

What is your goal?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i was recently running the line for my sunday team when injured and the defender of the opposing team thighed the ball back to his goalie. i immediately flagged for it, but nothing was given. at half time the referee briefly explained to me that anything above the knee does not count as a pass-back, which i never knew.

what's the 6-yard box for? for me there seems know obvious explanation and i'm comletely bewildered.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My goal is to officiate at Class 1 referee in Scotland and *hopefully* an old firm game. Although John Rowbotham recommends that I try and get to Fifa standard because you get to go to loads of tournaments in lots of different countries such as France, Russia, Greece.....well you get the picture.

Beefy in Scotland the rule is anything above the ankle. The six yard box or the goal area as it should be called is there so the goalkeeper knows where to take a goal kick from and it can be taken from also if the goalkeeper picks up a "pass-back" on his own goal line the indirect free kick is taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when the infringement occurred.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i wasn't thinking about goal-kicks at all.:D still, that's strikers for you.

how good are you as a player bigscotty? i've thought about amature refereeing when i've finished my career, but i intend to play until my legs say otherwise. there's too much agro in it these days.

do you think that more professional footballers should go into refereeing, like in rugby?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not bad as a player but I prefer to make a little money out of it ;)
Personally on the I feel that there is a lack of referees especially at youth level through to amateur level. I bet you all know what it is like to turn up to a game all pumped up ready to play only for the ref not to be there. If there was more referees then this wouldn't happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts