Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that saying negative things about referees and accusing them of corruption is an Italian national sport, I wonder how referees are compensated and what motivates them to perform well.

I don't know if this already happens, but I would think of referees as a league in itself. In other words, at the end of every game, they are given a rating by the FIGC that is published and disclosed to the public. So obviously if a referee makes an error that dictates the result of a game, the referee will get a very low rating and so on.

In other words, you could have a referee scudetto in itself. The worst referees are then relegated to Serie B with the top referees in Serie B promoted to Serie A. Pay scales and bonuses should be predicated on performance during a season.

This should achieve the following things:

1) Ensure that referees are motivated to achieve the best accuracy; and
2) Help increase the faith that the public has that Serie A is being refereed to the highest standards possible and dispel concerns over corruption which ultimately have an adverse impact as to the marketability and profitability of the league.

I am not sure what the current system is, but I think this could be good for the game.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
They need a technological help. It's unbelievable that in the era of the Big Brother the TV can't help the referees to do their job in a better way.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
They need a technological help. It's unbelievable that in the era of the Big Brother the TV can't help the referees to do their job in a better way.
You know what im most scared off about using technology?

If they get a call wrong after viewing a replay. How many times have seen even on replays and in different angles and still not being able to make up your mind if the decision was correct.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts

If they get a call wrong after viewing a replay. How many times have seen even on replays and in different angles and still not being able to make up your mind if the decision was correct.
Fiorentina could be kicked out of the CL for a blatant offside which could have been easily detected by a TV replay. What you say is surely true, but TV replays would at least reduce the number of wrong calls. The management of football could at least try some intermediate solution, allow the use of TV replays for the offsides for examples. Instead it looks like they want to ignore the technological help completely.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Referees need help from the media not from TV replays. The constant criticisms they receive is huge. It's not that I am opposed to technology in football. But football has been modernised a lot in the last decade. Even throw ins are not obeyed anymore and you can see a foul throw in almost every game. Plus I don't know how much the referees are paid to officiate a match but there will be a day in which football will be short in referees with all the criticism they receive. I don't want to immagine the abuse their children would get if a their father would make a bad call.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
Plus I don't know how much the referees are paid to officiate a match but there will be a day in which football will be short in referees with all the criticism they receive. I don't want to immagine the abuse their children would get if a their father would make a bad call.
It's an interesting carreer for people who can't kick a ball properly.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's an interesting carreer for people who can't kick a ball properly.

of course it's more easy sitting at home criticising them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
And your hero was the one to mastermind it...

this made me lol.

But seriously, it's only in Italy these things that happen. You never see the criticism the referees get in other leagues compared to the Serie A. Every club whines about how much the referees are against them. Only Juventus, just like in our first two seasons, when there were a lot of calls against Juve, we never complained. Instead we always acknowledged that the team didn't performed.

A referee is a human and he will always be comfortable with the squads that don't attack him everytime. Now if you were Tagliavento, giving 2 rightful red cards and still they accuse you of being corrupt, you will develop some dislike towards them for this false accusations.

·
Scudetto
23,377 Posts

Do you watch the NFL? Their rules are pretty solid concerning TV replays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts