Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liverpool have been provisionally placed among the second group of seeded teams for the opening group stage of next seasons Champions League.

It means that unless there are any upsets in the qualifying round and some of the top seeds don't make it the Reds cannot meet their conquerors of last season Bayer Lever Leverkusen at this stage.

Nor will they face old adversaries AS Roma, Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund, last seasons UEFA Cup winners Feyenoord, Galatasaray, Deportivo La Coruna and Lyon.

Should three of the top seeded sides not make it through to the group stage then Liverpool will be moved up into the top bracket.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEEDINGS

Pot 1: Real Madrid (Esp), Bayern Munich * (Ger), Manchester United * (Eng), FC Barcelona * (Esp), Valencia (Esp), Juventus (Ita), Arsenal (Eng), Inter Milan * (Ita).

Pot 2: Deportivo La Coruna (Esp), Bayer Leverkusen (Ger), Liverpool (Eng), Galatasaray (Tur), AS Roma (Ita), Olympique Lyon (Fra), Borussia Dortmund (Ger), Feyenoord * (Ned).

Pot 3: AC Milan * (Ita), PSV Eindhoven (Ned), Dinamo Kiev * (Ukr), Spartak Moscow (Rus), Lokomotiv Moscow * (Rus), Olympiakos (Gre), AEK Athens * (Gre), Sparta Prague * (Cze)

Pot 4: Ajax (Ned), Rosenborg * (Nor), RC Lens (Fra), Newcastle United * (Eng), Club Brugge * (Bel), Sturm Graz * (Aut), Boavista * (Por), Celtic * (Sco).

Teams from the same pot can't be drawn into the same group.
*means these team must still qualify.

The draw for the opening group phase takes place in Monte Carlo on August 29th & the eight groups will consist of one team from each pot.

---------------------------------------------------------
Ok, Man U finished 3rd in EPL, Bayern Leverkusen was in the CL final but how come Man U is in 1st pot and Liverpool, BL 2nd? How do they work out who is in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
That is because of their records over the past years had been better than ours. I must admit that the teams in Pot 1 are really worthy to be there, but Inter?? :confused:

paw;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi AE, Paw...

Well I do agree with paw.. and I'd just like to add.. How can they put a team in pot A without them qualifying (or being sure of it)?? Last year.. we were 3rd seeds (If my memory serves me right) as we had finished as qualifiers through the preliminary rounds.. we were 3rd and UEFA Cup winners.. and now Feyenoord are in the exact same situation but are 2nd seed!! Plus nearly all of pool A need to qualify!!! :) And why aren't Bayer Leverkusen in Pool A?? They were runners up in both the Bundesliga and the CL!!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Well it is a well-known fact that the teams with the biggest star names do get 'preferential treatment' once in a while. How else could you explain for Inter to be in Pot A. Their only European success of note over the past 5 years was being finalist in Uefa Cup, something which we have won not 2 years ago. Rightfully recent results should count more favourably right? Moreover, somehow the name Ronaldo rings out louder than Owen.:)

But it does not matter. No matter who Liverpool faces, as long as we are good enough, we will make it. Pot 1 or Pot 4 makes no difference.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
paw said:

But it does not matter. No matter who Liverpool faces, as long as we are good enough, we will make it. Pot 1 or Pot 4 makes no difference.

paw;)
True, Paw but if we can avoid the top guns early on ..the better is our chance

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can understand United being in pot 1 as they reached the semis, but Arsenal's record in Europe both recently and long term is poor. Still I worry for the teams who will have to play us now....I'm nice like that lol.:D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Looking at the performance of both Vieri and the guy who can eat an apple thru a tennis racket - Ronaldo in the WC, I wouldn't want us to face Inter early on....

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
well, it's very interesting to see that man utd are 1st seeds, despite our league performance last season, however i think it accurately reflects our european performances over the past five years.:)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi Beefy..

Well I do understand your logic.. I don't think anyone can deny that Man U have had a good record in Europe recently..

But I totally disagree with the fact that half the 1st seeds are in the qualifying round!! I think that the 1st seeds should be the CL champs (in this case Real Madrid) and the league winners of the major leagues (for example, Deportivo [Spain], Arsenal [England], Juventus [Italy] and Ajax [Holland]).. after all they are the "champions" so should be placed there..

On the other hand.. you see Barcelona who finished 4th as a top seed!!! Why?? cuz they reached the semis in last years CL?? I don't think that THAT should be enough at all for a top seed!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yasir said:
On the other hand.. you see Barcelona who finished 4th as a top seed!!! Why?? cuz they reached the semis in last years CL?? I don't think that THAT should be enough at all for a top seed!! :rolleyes:
How about Bayern Leverkusen? They are the CL runner up but named in pot 2???? :confused:

·
Registered
619 Posts
utopia said:
Anyone knows when the qualifying round starts?:)
Who cares? It is only for losers like Man U. We are already through:D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The seeding is based on the recent performances of the team in the competition.Thats why clubs like Real,United,Bayern and Barca will be seeded first whether they come first,second or third in their respective leagues.

Only surprise is the name of Inter as a top seed because they didn't even qualify for last year's competition(after being knocked out in the qualifying stages by Helsinborg).:rollani:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi K-2..

Ok.. even if what based on recent performances (not last year only).. Barca shouldn't be there.. Ok.. they reached the semis last year.. the year before that they were dumped out of round 1 to go to the UEFA Cup (before we threw them out).. and if my memory is still in tact.. they didn't qualify for the CL the year before that..!! Oh.. and if it's because of last year's performances.. Leverkusen definetly should be there in pot 1!!.. and I still can't believe that half of Pot 1 still have to qualify!!! Oh and Inter is a selection that makes every theory go wrong!!

In one sentence, maybe they did do it on previous performances (but even screwed that up).. But I think the seedings should have been on their domestic success last year (except for Real as they were CL holders)..

·
Registered
300 Posts
thank god

this is good for the reds atleast we will have the chance to proceed into the knockout stage.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
well, there's that old chesnut that you have to beat the best to win the competition.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts