Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool have confirmed they are interested in bringing African Footballer of the Year El Hadji Diouf to Anfield.

The Reds have held talks with French club Lens and the player himself, although no agreement has yet been reached.

The 21 year old - known as the "Serial Killer" was Senegal's top scorer during his country's World Cup qualifying campaign and he will spearhead their attack this afternoon against France in Seoul.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "We have been in talks with both the player and his club but we are yet to reach an agreement."

I watched him play tonight against France... He is good, set up the goal and could have been 2-0 in the first half. I like him and I think he will be a good signing for Liverpool.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yes , very quick and strong.

Who was the guy that Liverpool has signed. Was it the defender (Diop? sp.)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Salif Diao is the man you're thinking of. He plays for Senegal too in central midfield usually, he's been called the next Vieira because of his physical denfensive style. Have we actually signed him yet?? I know he costs £5m.

DAMN LATIN GCSE!!! I haven't watched that first match yet cos of it, gotta watch the highlights @ 5.

:mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hero Diouf on way to Liverpool

Friday 31st May 2002

Senegal hero El Hadji Diouf revealed he would be joining Liverpool next season only minutes after inspiring his country to a stunning World Cup win over France.

The £10 million-rated Lens striker led from the front as Senegal pulled off one of the biggest shocks in World Cup history, and afterwards he claimed he would be plying his trade in the Premiership next season.

"I'm delighted to be joining Liverpool," he said. "I want to become one of the best players in the world and I'm sure that at Liverpool and with a great coach like Gerard Houllier I can do that."

Liverpool have been chasing Diouf for some time, and he was the principle reason Houllier decided against making Nicolas Anelka's loan deal a permanent one. Anfield bosses have not confirmed a deal yet, but on Thursday revealed they were in talks with the player.

For the time being though, Diouf is concentrating on the World Cup.

"Football is all about pleasure and giving pleasure. This is a great night for the Senegalese people and we want to give them more gifts," he said.

Lens coach Joel Muller admitted last week that he would not stand in the way of Diouf should he decide to quit the Stade Felix-Bollaert in the summer.

"It would just be stupid and authoritarian of us to stand in his way if he wants to go," he said.

Muller also confirmed that approaches had been made for the 21-year-old.

"He has had several interesting offers and may leave," he said. "There has been no cooling of relations between us and him."

The African Player of the year for 2001, Diouf joined Lens for £3.5 million last summer after being deemed surplus to requirements by Rennes, where a turbulent spell was brought to an end when he crashed a team-mate's car while driving uninsured.

Under Muller, though, Diouf has blossomed, and was a key figure in Senegal's maiden World Cup qualification.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well both Diouf and Diao were excellent today..

Diao actually nearly cancelled out Vieira all through the game (Although Petit was my worst player on the pitch).. and Diouf (Nearly single handedly) terrorised the French defence..

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
He is good but £10m is a lot, if he signs you need to teach him the offside rule.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Owen will teach him a thing or two about beating the offside traps...

I love the way he skinned the french defenders and his link up play....

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts