Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool have agreed the terms of the deal to bring Senegal international Salif Diao to Anfield.

The defensive midfield star is currently with his country in the Far East preparing for the World Cup finals, but the Reds have taken a big step towards signing him by agreeing a transfer fee with his French club Sedan.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton confirmed: "We have reached an agreement with Sedan for the terms of the transfer."

10 facts about Salif Diao
1, Salif Diao was born in a remote desert town in the south east of Senegal on February 2 1977.

2, The 25-year-old midfielder moved to France at the age of 17 from second division Epinal.

3, He spent three seasons with Monaco and helped them to the first-division title in 2000.

4, He moved to Sedan in time for the 2000-01 season.

5, Like many of Senegal's players - the entire national squad is based in Europe - Diao resisted the chance to play for his home country for many seasons.

6, It wasn't until Senegal brought in French coach Bruno Metsu that Diao reconsidered his decision.

7, Diao notched one of the most important goals in Senegal history in February when his extra-time strike saw his side through to the final of the African Nations Cup.

8, Diao acted as spokesman for the players when he fought an off-pitch battle to increase the Senegal players' bonuses for competing in the African Nations Cup. A boycott appeared to be on the cards until a late deal was struck.

9, He will captain his country at this summer's World Cup finals. Senegal play in the tournament's opening game against France and Diao said: "I hope we won't lose confidence. Until now, we haven't run into any team that can create any difficulties for us."

10, Gerard Houllier has described Diao as "a strong defensive midfielder who has the skills to play in our team".

My only concern... is he an EU player?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Arthro Enas said:
[B

My only concern... is he an EU player? [/B]
He is ...being in France since 17 and holding a french passport

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. So I've heard he's a good player, and another one of thousands to be labelled Vieira-esque!! My question is where is he going to fit into the team??

I hope and seriously doubt that this signals the end for Hamman as he has been one of our most consistent games over the last few years. That would mean, with Gerrard indispensible, and the only other positions on the wings, he will not start. Cheyrou looks to start on the left, possibly Riise, and Smicer, Murphy or Barmby on the right. Though I think it's unlikely, I hope he doesn't sign as another squad rotation player.

Anybody tell me otherwise?
Also are we going to sign his international team-mate El-Hadji Diouf? I certainly hope so, he's class!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Red Mist said:
Also are we going to sign his international team-mate El-Hadji Diouf? I certainly hope so, he's class!!
I presume u have seen Diouf in action mate,

I have been trying to get some info about him...could u give us what view on him (ie kind of player, strengths, weaknesses etc)

Cheers mate

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I share Red Mist's sentiments too. Being a defensive midfielder in the mould of Dietmar, it is hard to see him replacing the German though. Unless of course, GH has the opportunity of having two very good defensive midfielders in the team, and if Gerrard is injured, both Hamann and Diao can form a solid partnership in the side, without using Murphy, who can operate out on the right. We can see that the right midfield is the problem area for us this season, with almost all the midfielders trying out in that area from time to time. So GH might be addressing that problem with the addition of another midfielder so that the overall midfield is strengthen.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah I too heard that rumour about Diao being loaned back to Sedan. I think it sounds a bit far-fetched though. Can't imagine GH doing that. I think he will come in initially as a back-up midfielder but I guess either Gerrard or Hamann are quite often out of action.

As for Diouf, I've never seen him in the flesh but I've seen a fair bit of him playing for Lens on TV and some in the African Nations cup.

He's not like any striker I can think of in the Premiership. He's very strong, skillful and pacy, though I think he is still quite a raw player and hasn't fully matured. He plays a direct style of football , not like that of Heskey, and scores a lot of goals. I would be pleased if we signed him and think he would develop, if we gave him the games, into a premiership quality goalscorer.

Anyone know how much he would cost?? I've heard prices of £2.5m and £15m quoted so far!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
P.S

To M

Hamman definitely won't leave us.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good

He'll definitely be here next season as he still has two years on his contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decided not to re-new.

Hope he stays anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts