Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redknapp unsure of Woodward role

Woodward has been repeatedly linked with a move to Southampton
Southampton boss Harry Redknapp has questioned what the club would have to gain from appointing Sir Clive Woodward to a role within the club.
The former coach of the England rugby union side has been linked with a future role at St Mary's.

But Redknapp told the Sunday Times newspaper: "I'm told his strength is the motivation side of the game.

"But this is football, not rugby, and it's not motivation we lack - we're just short of quality in the team."

Woodward is currently tied up with his commitments to the British and Irish Lions, who are to tour New Zealand in the summer.

But England's 2003 World Cup-winning coach is keen to move into football, and Southampton had seemed a likely first port of call because of his friendship with chairman Rupert Lowe.

However, Redknapp is unsure whether Woodward can do anything to improve the quality of Southampton's side.

"That's the thing we've got to put right," he said. "Whether he has anything to offer us I don't know.

"But he's not going to get involved in the coaching or the football, any more than I'd want to get involved in rugby.

"But they say he's got good ideas on the motivation side, and I'm willing to talk to anybody in the club's interests."

With Southampton languishing near the bottom of the Premiership table, Redknapp is currently more worried about staving off relegation and is looking to make several new signings before the transfer window closes.

"The chairman has to realise that drastic measures are needed - otherwise we're going to go down. If I can find us some players he's got to make sure that he gets them."

In the meantime, Southampton chairman Lowe could be set for showdown talks with Portsmouth counterpart, and Redknapp's former boss, Milan Mandaric.

According to reports, Mandaric is keen to resolve some issues, which have escalated since Redknapp moved from Pompey to the Saints at the end of last year.

"I'm not entirely happy with certain things that happened since Harry Redknapp left Portsmouth for Southampton," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"There are some ongoing issues that need to be resolved and I would like to talk to Rupert and resolve them."

The two clubs meet in the fourth round of the FA Cup on 29 January.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
I 'm not sure either just what is going on there with Woodward trying to move into footy.
Apart from £££££££££££££! ;)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I reckon it'll be a disaster and stupid to place someone like Woodward, who has no football experience and is a headstrong character over an experienced man like Redknapp.Equals footballing suicide for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts