Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is set to end his 11-year association and sign for Spurs on a free transfer.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
In light of his long service to Liverpool and the fact that he desperately wanted to be somewhere where he'll get first team football, I think it was quite gallant of Liverpool to let him leave for free.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
That's a whole lot of nonsense, Mr Houllier.
You dun release the most influential player on a free before the season ends.
Of cos we speculated it, expected it. But for goodness sake, sell him during the summer when the team can be remotivated again.

I remembered Houllier saying that "Redknapp was part of the plans." Time and again.
Suddenly he was sold

How would that rebound on the others?

Already (I hope not), players like Hamann are getting edgy over a substitution and demand talks.

The team will be a whole lot nervous soon.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Its probably Redders own wish....

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If he left for free, then there must be something wrong in the talk of the new contract?

GH said team must always come first so probably they could not reach an agreement at some points and that forced Jamie to move on with other club in order to have more first team football?

I am just guessing... :confused:

It is sad :depress: to see Jamie goes and it is a surprise to me! I hope he will find more football in Spurs and get injury free from now on...

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I find it strange that Jamie would want to leave the club NOW instead of after season ends.

Imagine, you are a big influence in the dressing room, you had been injured and was down with your luck but your team have a chance of making for the EPL, even if is just a small hope, but it is still a hope. The players needs you, you know that, you have been the heart of the team and the dressin room for the past decade.

Of cos a player with that kind of situation would stay on till the end of the season.

It late in the season, why would Redknapp want to move to Spurs and get a couple of subs run outs? He could have easily joined Spurs in the Summer, it is not a problem.

Its all rather fishy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When the dust has settled after the WC,and the summer transfers have been completed - all will be clearer.Like how the Saints managed to do so well against us,like RF going gets us a 1st opportunity to chat with HK etc.I could go on,but perhaps the naiive among us aren't prepared for the cynical truths that abound in football...after all,which is our only potentially tricky fixture left.I hope Barmby goes back to them as well,no more room for the injured passengers,and no more room for sentiment,on the road to glory.Like it or not,that's how it is - deal with it however you want,it's reality.To all the TRUE fans ,i say keep the faith,our dreams will become reality,that is for sure.
To Razor,Arthro & my mate Mr. Fowler in particular,take care and
see you around.......maybe,ta ta.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sad to see JR go. A brilliantly creative player who has been so unlucky with injuries. I can understand him going for free though. He isn't needed, hes dedicated most of his footballing life to Liverpool and he wants first team football. Good luck to him.

He deserved better but this is football at the end of the day. Like John Barnes said, we need fully fit players with their best to come. Only then will we reign again.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
This was very stupid move from Liverpool...for free.:howler:
Next season he will show you guys that he can play and then you will try to bought him back with poor result.:)
No offense.

Ciao,
Tommi

·
Registered
619 Posts
This is also a very sad day for the medical profession as it has been reported that over 40 doctors were made redundant in the Merseyside area tonight.!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I honestly felt that Redknapp has ceased to be the force behind the players, ever since he failed to command a place in the team on a regular basis this season. The captaincy thing is simply a gesture to say that "Hey, you are still there, and thank you for being with us..." Other than that, I do not see the point of him holding on to the captain's armband and not playing. And to be honest, it was a nice gesture for the club management for him to lift one of the titles last season. But as far as his injury goes, he is not going to see much action under GH, and it was only right for Liverpool to transfer him to Tottemham for free. I honestly do not think think that it will affect the players much during this championship run-in.

paw;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
as a spurs fan, i think i m really happy to see redknapp come...especially it's for free...BUT can he stay healthy??? i don't know...but if he can healthy and play like the old redknapp who was once considered the best young midfielder in england, then i'd say he'd have a future with us...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
17/04/2002, Redknapp: I'm raring to go

Injury-prone midfielder Jamie Redknapp has declared himself fighting fit and ready to provide the ammunition to fire Tottenham to success next season.

The former England international has signed a four-year deal at White Hart Lane after being released from his contract by Liverpool. He said the speed of the switch took him by surprise but he had no regrets about leaving Anfield.

'I'm delighted. It's all happened quite quickly over the last couple of days,' said Redknapp. 'There has been a lot of speculation because I was running to the end of my contract at Liverpool and they knew I was a free agent and was maybe going to leave but they've been fantastic with me - as they've always been.'

The midfielder is looking forward to working with Glenn Hoddle again, after enjoying working with the Tottenham boss during his time as England coach. 'I felt a change would do me good - and to work with Glenn Hoddle and John Gorman again,' he added.

'I've got on with him (Hoddle) very well in the past and he's keen to get me here.' It is a return to familiar territory for Redknapp as he began his career at Spurs as a schoolboy before turning professional at Bournemouth.

He was signed by then Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish for £350,000 from the south coast club - then managed by Redknapp's father Harry - in January 1991 and went on to play more than 200 top flight games for the Reds, winning 17 England caps.

However, the 28-year-old former club captain - who was the longest-serving player in the current squad - was today released from his contract at Anfield after figuring in only eight games in another injury-hit season.

He has not played since the Champions League group match against Borussia Dortmund at Anfield on October 30 and although he returned to fitness last month, he was unable to force his way back into the first team squad.

Redknapp is disappointed he will not be able to play for Tottenham this season - but believes joining now gives him more time to settle in.

He added: 'At least I can get to know the place, get my bearings and get ready for the start of next season. 'I'd love to play in the last few games but it's not to be - but at least I'm here now.'

And the player has no doubts about his fitness, explaining: 'I've had a thorough medical and passed it which was a very good sign. I'm positive about things - I've had injuries but I'm fit now and I want to come and do a good job for Tottenham,' he told Clubcall.

Source : Soccernet

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Macca, Robbie and now Redder?:depress: The oldies are all leaving........:rollani: Mindy, I am slowly catching upto your skepticism.....something smells fishy here:( But I guess if someone can't fight his way to the first team, he should look for another club:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
He was offered a new contract by Liverpool but he refused...

He seems delighted to sign for Spurs and insisted that Liverpool were fantastic in allowing him to go...

He wanted a change and got it...

Really sad to see Redders go and I wish him all the best

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
utopia, there is nothing wrong in the club letting go of their players. In fact, with the team that GH inherited from Evans, only Owen is left, and I am sure that GH would not let Owen go, even with a gun at his temple. It is only a matter of time before GH takes in suitable players for his system and style of play. Fowler fell foul of his style and Liverpool was gracious enough to let him go for 11 million. Jaime can sit on the bench for the next two seasons and GH will not play him, for reasons that I could think of: Jaime getting injured again, and he cannot replace Hamann nor Gerrard. So, in effect we let him go, albeit for free. Nothing to lose there, I must say, after all, Jaime has been a fantastic Red all his life.

Seems like if Middlesbrough is a team of Man Yoo 'rejects', then Tottemham would be a team of Liverpool 'rejects'.:D

Wish him all the best.

paw;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
According to Justmadeitup.com Jamie will miss the first three months of next season after injuring his thumb while signing the new Spurs contract:D In a quote, the player said: I was persuaded to come here after talking to Darren Anderton. He assured me that the injury rooms here have cable and room service so that I can watch next season in comfort!"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts