Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harry Redknapp has resigned as manager of Portsmouth.
Redknapp said his decision was not a result of his row with chairman Milan Mandaric over the appointment of Velimir Zajec as executive director.

"It is something I have been thinking about for a while. I made it without any pressure from the chairman or the board," said Redknapp.

Zajec will take charge of first-team affairs, but the club would not confirm assistant Jim Smith had also left.

At a news conference to announce his plans, Redknapp, 57, said he had not made any decisions about his future.

"I will now spend a short period of time to rest, recharge my batteries before contemplating my future," he said.

"I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to the chairman and his board for their support, to the players and all the supporters who have been absolutely fantastic to me and the club during my time at Portsmouth FC."

Redknapp took over at Fratton Park in March 2002 and led the club to Premiership promotion the following year.

The club made a strong start to this season, and Redknapp was named manager of the month in October.

However, his relationship with Mandaric has increasingly come under the spotlight.

Last season he threatened to quit when he believed Mandaric was planning to sack Smith and he again said he was considering leaving when Zajec was appointed.

Mandaric, who did not attend the news conference because of a prior commitment, paid tribute to Redknapp via a statement.

"Harry and I remain great friends," he said.

"I have tremendous admiration and respect for where he has taken this club - a feat several managers before him could not get near to."

And the chairman also sought to play down rumours that Redknapp had quit over the row between the pair.

"People will obviously make their own minds up and say that Harry has stepped down for the reasons that have been intensely speculated over in the media," he said.

"That could not be further from the truth but then the speculations were pretty wide of the mark also.

"The truth is Harry sees this as a perfect opportunity to bow out."

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
A massive loss to Portsmouth, but after that interview with Harry, you could tell that his Portsmouth career was nearing an end.

He has took the team far, next Southampton boss anyone?

·
Registered
69,809 Posts
Velimir Zajec!!!! got the win at the Reebok, will he be the manager or are Pompey still looking for another man for the job?

·
Registered
171 Posts
'Redknapp u f*cking judas c*nt can't beleive hes gone to scum' (common feeling throughout portsmouth) alot of people in pompey beleive he knew he was going to southampton before he left portsmouth. harry has disgraced the city and i bet he isnt looking forward to the south coast derby at Fratton park in April.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Pompey should stick with Joe Jordan atleast until the end of the season unless the club makes a dramatic slide down the table.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts