Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont like to be the pessimist...

as u all know, Man United finshed trophyless..and everyones sayin that whenever theyre trophyless they bounce back next season (e.g treble and before that the double)..and i recall all the manu fans sayin how theyre gonna kick ass next season, but im not so sure...i think next season could be a struggle for supremacy..

most seasons this decade, there were only usually 3 teams capable of winnning it..usually manu, arsenal, chelsea...next season theres gonna be manu, arsenal, liverpool, chelsea (especially wit their new real madrid duo), leeds (depending on who they sell this summer), and probably one other surprise contender....quite a battle.
instead of manu finishing 1st or 2nd...they finished 3rd, an all time premeirship low.
the teams mentoned above have improved considerably...thyeve all got a fine selection of world class players.
weve all agreed the defence is shambles, so practically, the whole defence needs changing..with ferguson probably reluctant to sell veron at the moment, that will only leave a balance for one world class defender (not enough) and maybe a striker.
man uniteds dominance has relied on the youth team system since beckham, theres been no improvements (hwever, Bjordic looks good)

i thought of some more reasons, but i forget...i think as things stand, manu will finish second.sorry guys

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i agree with you on that. i think arsenal have a better sqaud as well, liverpool, boring and not a threat. Chelsea have two madrid players??i know geremi but not the other.

Man U's problems are:

Keeper- should sell all keepers, as Barthez is a disgrace to any team and why he is in the french NT is beyond me.
Defence- should only keep g neville and maybe silvestre who i think improved at left back. Should sell everyone else..completley clean them out!

Midfield- need back ups for Becks, and maybe another versiltile midfielder. Would sell Veron as Man U's style doesnt suit his play IMO. After watching him against Nigeria, IMO he needs to leave and join Lazio or a spanish club where the style of play suits him better. Its nothing against Man U, sometimes players just cant suit a league or team.

Forward - sell Yorke, keep RVN, Solks and maybe Forlane (done nothing yet to prove himself).

Therefore, by selling Barthez, johnsen, blanc (retired), Brown (please, he has had chances), Irwin (if his not retired yet), Veron, Yorke.........you should be able to buy better players and fix your major probs:

My opinion for solutions:

Keeper- Fabian Carini from juve is on the market, Barca had meant to get him on loan, but they bought the benfica keeper. Therefore he is available and he is a brilliant 22 yr old keeper. He might be worth abit, but i'm sure with Barthez's money, he would be no problem to get.

Defence- Ayala and Thuram is a must. Cash might be a problem, but i believe that if MAn u were to give juve Veron, in exchange for Thuram, Carini plus cash, Man U should take it straight away. Other players for that defence could be the likes of Bridge, Finnan who have impressed this season. Not sure who you should get for other defenders, but those current ones have to go.

Midfield- With Veron being sold, it gives Scholes his natural position again, with keane, becks and giggs, which is all good. Becks needs a back up, as would scholes now if veron was to leave. Butt and fortune are good back ups for keane and giggs. A player like Bowyer, if he is available would be perfect to get. He is very versitile, can play anywhere in that midfield.

Forward- Not sure who is available for a forward, but it would have to be a back up player to RVN and Solks.

I know that there are huge changes that i have mentioned, and most of you would be saying that i'm on drugs etc...but what man u needs is a good clean out. your youth system hasnt got the likes of becks, scholes, giggs and neville coming thru. Sometimes i think that maybe Fergie should have left at the end of this season. I have great respect for him, but he isn't going to clean out this club. Another manager, would buy and sell the likes which i have mentioned.

Another point i want to make is this. Does anyone think that if giggs was to be sold, and you get maybe two other good midfielders for him, it would be worth it. I like giggs, but he is injury prone, inconsistant, very one dimensional and one sided. Maybe its time he leaves and some others step in. Just a thought, dont bite my head off.

Man U need to clean out and start again, maybe one or two seasons of rebuilding and you will do what you did in 99 again.

BUT, one thing is for sure, if Man U are to win things again, its time the team changes.

I think a starting line up of this wouldnt be to bad at all, it would be good actually.

carini
neville thuram ayala silvestre
becks keane scholes giggs???
RVN Solks

and the likes of Bowyer, Fortune to come on....looks like a way better team than last season.

THATS MY PERSONAL OPINION, PLEASE DONT BITE OFF MY HEAD.....AS I THINK A LOT OF NON MAN U FANS WOULD AGREE WITH ME ON SOME OF THOSE ISSUES.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree with most things said...however, i still beleive barthez is great..but cashin out on another class keeper maybe worthwhile.
i also agree with the defenders that should go..but brown is a useful player to have. coz if manu are gonna get ayala thuram, thats a pretty aging defence..
uve raised a controversial issue with the giggs thing..i was just about to bite ur head off when i realised u were talkin some sense :D
if giggs can be sold for a high price (im sure inter would splash out like 25 mil on him) and hassan Sas is bought, and the remaining cash is spent on, lets say, duff, then sadly, it would be a great deal....IMO Sas is a great replacement for giggs..hes plays left, got pace, takes on players...and is versatile, he can play right too. ive been watchim him all year..hes gonna be a star

i reckon keep forlan, i got faith in him...SELL VERON..a healthy 20 mil or so would be great

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
CUG,you deserve a special mention for writing that HUGE post.;):DSometimes I wonder whether you actually do like United??;):lala:

You have brought up some important issues regarding our defence and the GK position.Unfortunately I am a bit tied up these days with my exams and all:mad: but perhaps I'll reply to your post tomorrow.

At the moment all I can say is that Bowyer aint a player who'll be willing to sit on the bnch as cover for our midfild.So that deal will never happen.

For the fourth striker position,I'd be delighted if Fergie could get Duff from Blackburn since he'd be the perfect foil for RVN.He's quick,skillful and RVN can play off him.They'd form a lethal partnership.

Sell Giggs??NO WAY!!!!!!!!!:D:DThere's is a real shortage of classy left-wingers in Europe and Giggsy is the BEST.Why should we sell him????:tongue:

The defence will be sorted out during the summer.Finnan is a distinct possibilty for the right-back position hile Thuram could be brought in to provide stability at the cnter of that defence.

Veron won't be sold so we can drop the subject and the same with Barthez.He might hve had a tough season but his ability cannot be questioned.Besides Carini has already been booked by Barca.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Don't forget us ...

Although we limped into fourth place - we finished fourth. Quite an achievement, especially considering we were without our catalyst Bellamy when it mattered most - until he got injured we were in with a shout at the double. We'll inevitably strengthen and be an even better team next year, etc etc etc.

On Man U, of course you'll bounce back - people forget that you gave the rest of the redcoat brigade a decent headstart after that awful early-season run. Which was attributed to the players not knowing where their futures lay with Fergie's impending retirement and the selling of Stam, not to mention the whole Scholes-Veron formation debacle.

That won't be an issue next time out - Fergie is set in the job for the next few seasons and the centre-half/JSV situations will be settled by August kick-off.

Have faith.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
K-2, you know i am a juve supporter, through and through. But yeah, because i watch all football, i like to think of tactics and players etc...which other clubs need. Its ahobby of mine ;)

I personally like giggs, but if you read what i wrote (typed), I said that it might be worth selling him now and getting cash for him. Due to the fact of Giggs being injury prone lately and inconsistant, which i didn't hear anyone object to, it might be the time. And OZ picked a brilliant plan in buying Sas, who is a great and Duff as well. You see what he has done there, killed two birds with stone.

And Veron looks set to leave now. I just read on the juve forum, which had an article saying that Man U are trying to lure Nesta to Juve, which would see Veron join juve in exchange for Thuram. Seeing Veron go from juve to lazio obviously.

Thats what the article had anyway.

And like i said, Barca bought Benfica's keeper so Carini is still available. And like OZ said, Barthez replaced with a better keeper is good. Aomething like that anyway, cant be bothered checking.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dyertribe said:
Don't forget us ...

sorry mate, completely skipped my mind......so, theres about 6 teams now who are realistic contenders :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Dyertribe,Bobby Robson has done a marvellous job with the club and it was a fantastic achievement to reach 4th spot and qualify for the Champs League.However next season Newcastle has to spend on some good players specially at the back if they are to maintain a challnge on both fronts(domestically and in Europe).Whats happens,most of the time,is that clubs like Newcastle get distracted by midweek games and towards the second half of the season fatigue comes into play as the squad is not very big.This results in a disappointing season,comparing the expectations that fans hvae at the start.

CUG,I don't think we'll be able to get Nesta.Not when the likes of Real,Barca and even Juve are competing for his signature.These clubs have no shareholders to answer to and are run by individual millionaires for whom money aint a problem.As a result that Veron rumor is just BS,IMO.

About Giggs,I just cannot imagine him playing for any other club.:D

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
I think Barthez proved alot of people wrong in is performance against Uruguay, he kept France in the tournement.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
K-2, Veron might leave in order for that 3 way deal. thuram going to man u of course. its just a rumour, but its rumour which makes sense, unlike the othyer 50000 billion rumours which come around these different forums.:D

Giggs can go...i said the same about Zidane, Baggio, Vieri and so on, i couldnt imagine them playing for another club......u get used to it after you see him in different colours....;)

Dusan UK, Barthez might have made a good save, but still, after this season, he has to go. He cost Man U too much this season, and those facts cant be hidden. You are one of the best clubs in the world, and best clubs are meant to have the best players. Barthez doesnt fit in that category, he doesnt even fit in the decent, or half decent category.

Barthez = mistakes = embarrassing = losing= lossed money = piss him off before he kills you again!!!

simple as that :tongue:

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you guys talk about that 3 way deal between United,Lazio and Juve, would it make more sense swapping Nesta for Veron??

Because it very clear that Lazio are willing to listen to offers for Nesta.Its also clear that that Nesta wants to play champions league football next season and move to a bigger club.Its also very clear that Veron isnt happy at United and im sure he would love a move back to lazio.And it is VERY clear that Lazio want Veron back.

It makes sence though,Just a thought

1 - 11 of 11 Posts