Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MLS places Real Salt Lake, Club Deportivo in Western Conference

December 7, 2004
NEW YORK (Ticker) - The MLS announced a realignment Tuesday, placing expansion teams Real Salt Lake and Club Deportivo Chivas USA in the Western Conference and moving the reiging conference champion Kansas City Wizards to the Eastern Conference.

The move establishes two divisions comprised of six teams apiece.

In addition to the expansion teams, the Western Conference also includes the Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Los Angeles Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes.

The Wizards join an Eastern Conference group that includes D.C. United, the team that beat Kansas City in the 2004 MLS Cup.

The rest of the conference comprises of the Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, MetroStars and the New England Revolution.

The 2005 MLS campaign kicks off April 2 with all 12 teams in action to open the league's 10th season. Each team will play 32 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=mlsrealignment&prov=st&type=lgns

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
I can't believe they called it "Real Salt Lake". It just looks and sounds out of place. "Club Deportivo Chivas USA" sounds pretty awkward too.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Pro Player Stadium WILL NOT allow MLB past 2009...Huizenga has made it clear the the stadium will be put to use xtrictly for American Football and Soccer !!! :D

Is S Fl getting ready again for the MLS Circus ????? :eek:

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
I wonder how Chivas USA will affect the Galaxy's attendance numbers.

I also wonder what venue will Real SL use for their home games.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Loco said:
I wonder how Chivas USA will affect the Galaxy's attendance numbers.
Very good point. A large percentage of Galaxy fans now are Hispanic, and they almost never fill the place up. These Hispanic fans are much more likely to go see Chivas games now. This is not a good move for the Galaxy.

Loco said:
I also wonder what venue will Real SL use for their home games.

Rice-Eccles Stadium

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Isaac said:
Very good point. A large percentage of Galaxy fans now are Hispanic, and they almost never fill the place up. These Hispanic fans are much more likely to go see Chivas games now. This is not a good move for the Galaxy.
My god I was saying that when Los Angeles got the team, but no one listened to me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts