Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man U No. 2
At $328M, Real Madrid world's richest soccer club
Posted: Wednesday February 15, 2006 11:01PM; Updated: Wednesday February 15, 2006 11:01PM
Richest Soccer Clubs
Richest Soccer Clubs
1. Real Madrid Spain $328.19 million
2. Manchester United England $293.31 million
3. AC Milan Italy $278.55 million
4. Juventus Italy $273.08 million
5. Chelsea England $262.84 million
6. FC Barcelona Spain $247.48 million
7. Bayern Munich Germany $225.58 million
8. Liverpool England $215.7
million
9. Inter Milan Italy $210.94 million
10. Arsenal England $203.92 million
11. AS Roma Italy $156.89 million
12. Newcastle England $153.44 million
13. Tottenham England $124.4
million
14. Schalke 04 Germany $115.94 million
15. Lyon France $110.59 million
16. Celtic Scotland $110.35 million
17. Manchester City England $107.26 million
18. Everton England $105.71 million
19. Valencia Spain $100.71 million
20. Lazio Italy $98.92
million

LONDON (AP) -- Real Madrid has knocked off Manchester United as the world's richest soccer club.

Madrid overtook the Red Devils for the first time at the top of the "Football Money League," an independent report released Thursday by the Deloitte accounting firm.

United had been ranked No. 1 since the report began nine seasons ago. Deloitte only uses revenue as its ranking and not the wealth of individual club owners.

Real Madrid increased its revenue by 17 percent to $328 million for the 2004-05 season despite going a second straight year without a major trophy. United earned $293 million in the same period.

AC Milan was third with $279 million, followed by Italian champion Juventus with $273 million and English champion Chelsea at $263 million.

"The mainstay of Real's revenue growth is not match-day revenues, as we have seen in many of the UK clubs, or broadcasting revenue, as we have seen -- and continue to see -- in Italy, but strong progress in realizing their commercial potential," the report said.

Madrid's revenue doubled in four years despite increasingly poor performances. It was second in last year's Spanish league and was eliminated from the Champions League at the first knockout stage.

Commercial revenue including sponsorship, merchandising and licensing contributed 45 percent of Madrid's total income. Madrid made $62 million more in commercial revenue than Manchester United and $74 million more than FC Barcelona.

Manchester United's revenue fell because of a reduction in broadcast income, partly because of its exit from the Champions League at the first knockout round. However, Deloitte said United was one of "the foremost brands in the industry and are still clearly the most profitable club in terms of day to day operations."

Three clubs dropped out of last year's top 20 -- Marseille, Aston Villa and Rangers -- and were replaced by Everton, Lyon and Valencia. Only 13 clubs have appeared in all nine editions of the report: Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter, Juventus, Lazio, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United, AC Milan, AS Roma, Newcastle and Tottenham.

·
poco loco
3,657 Posts
honestly i dont trust all these figures as there are some teams stated which have been in BIG troubles by last year. Schalke was claiming a debt of 30 Mios and here it is listed on 14th. :googly:
nevertheless, think perez did a good job on the economic issue but on the football-side he did awful.....

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Yes micho007, it's the profits that count and Manchester United are still the most profitable club in the world.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Red Bed said:
Yes micho007, it's the profits that count and Manchester United are still the most profitable club in the world.
Well, then you also have to consider other things like Real Madrid and Barcelona are not Ltd. companies that have to raise the value of the shares. Of course, it's necessary for us to make profits, but the 2 Spanish clubs take care of other questions, because both have other sport sections and a link with the community where they are that Man U (or any other club) don't have. Difficult to compare in that sense.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
micho007 said:
sadly most of the profits will go to glazier to pay for his loans
That's why I say thanks god we're not a Ltd. company. At least, Barça (Madrid in your case) is a club of its fans yet. We decide, we're fans, not clients. At the end of the day, the vote of Laporta (or Florentino) is as important as the vote of the socio of a working class quarter.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
It's only a matter of time before business get hold of your clubs and then we'll see who will smile. :finger:

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Red Bed said:
It's only a matter of time before business get hold of your clubs and then we'll see who will smile. :finger:
Don't think its a matter of time. It will probably never ever happen. Real Madrid and Barcelona are big clubs with both surely in the top 5 football clubs in the World. They have always been that way and were successful so why change?

Real Madrid and Barcelona's name are big enough to reject any business trying to take over them.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Koeman4 said:
That's why I say thanks god we're not a Ltd. company. At least, Barça (Madrid in your case) is a club of its fans yet. We decide, we're fans, not clients. At the end of the day, the vote of Laporta (or Florentino) is as important as the vote of the socio of a working class quarter.
Thank God.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Red Bed said:
Actually, that is an interesting thought. Just how many socios do Madrid and Barcelona have and, more importantly, what would it take to buy their membership?

In order to take over Real Madrid, you would have to buy off enough socios to win a vote to make RM a public listed company. After it becomes a PLC, you need to buyout a majority share of stock and then de-list RM.

Socios might be proud fans but surely many of them wouldn't turn down say, a $100k payout with an additional stock buyout in the near future?

Thing is, when it's all said and done, I don't see the whole operation costing less than $1billion. Not too expensive, especially considering that you might recoup that much in as little as 5 years.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
MAD Fan said:
Socios might be proud fans but surely many of them wouldn't turn down say, a $100k payout with an additional stock buyout in the near future?
I think in the case of Barcelona you are wrong. I would venture to say the same thing for Madrid, but I am not sure, especially if the socios are able to figure out the plans of the takeover. By last count, the amount of socios from Barcelona is over 125K, I would say to get a majority of them to "sell" their membership knowing that it would change to a private corporation is almost impossible.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Red Bed said:
not madrid or barca, they have survived astronomical debts and still remain how they are, i think they are run in a very good way as they don't have profits sucked up by a chairman.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Red Bed said:
And you're implying thats whats going on at United? :rolleyes:
the world doesnt revolve around utd :lala:

i thought i'd keep it simple with you, if i wanted i'd tlak business lingo that you'd get bored of, i just gave you a stereotypical example :rolleyes:

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
MAD Fan said:
In order to take over Real Madrid, you would have to buy off enough socios to win a vote to make RM a public listed company. After it becomes a PLC, you need to buyout a majority share of stock and then de-list RM.

Thing is, when it's all said and done, I don't see the whole operation costing less than $1 billion. Not too expensive, especially considering that you might recoup that much in as little as 5 years.
I don't know how you do math on your planet, but to buy out half of Barça's socios @ $100,000 each would cost a hell of a lot more than $1 billion:

125,000/2 = half of the socios = 62,500 socios.

Buying each one of them out for $100,000: 62,500 x 100,000 = 6,250,000,000

$6.25 BILLION... :howler: (not even Euros)...

No individual/company can afford to spend that on something like a football team. This is of course without considering the fact that such an attempted takeover would never succeed for a club like Barça because the socios and fans would never stand for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts