Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you will disagree but Real is very lousy to watch. Their game plan is just pass the ball in the middle of the pack over and over .....and over... Maybe their main aim is to get high possession. Haven't teams learned something from the underdogs of wc2002 Senegal, Turkey and Korea. Getting 1000 passes before reaching the other side is not cool. Play the game the way teams like Valencia, Depor, Arsenal are currently playing. No wonder EPL is still the most popular league. If they can put a little spice(like dribbling) into their league they will attract more followers.

Is it a coincidence that Madrid's style of play coincided with Zidane joining the team. They guy is just sucking the life out of their style of play. He is too slow. And now that Carlos is burnt out they can't move forward as fast as they used to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
If they are "boring" to watch, don't watch them! simple. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vampire Lestat said:
If they are "boring" to watch, don't watch them! simple. :rolleyes:
The problem is all this fuss about Real. You will think they are a team from another planet. Remember last year. The only good game they have was the first leg game with united. And it was only because United gave them too much respect. Now Beckham who was once considered one dimensional is their best player. If you don't believe it go to the madrid forum. He is the only player who is trying to add something new to the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,854 Posts
calcio100 said:
The problem is all this fuss about Real. You will think they are a team from another planet. Remember last year. The only good game they have was the first leg game with united. And it was only because United gave them too much respect. Now Beckham who was once considered one dimensional is their best player. If you don't believe it go to the madrid forum. He is the only player who is trying to add something new to the team.
Well, Beckham is the only player trying to add something new just cause he is the only new champion of Real Madrid.
I watched few matches of Real Madrid this year and I also noticed some poor scores (1-0 vs Murcia), but that is more due probably to the weakness of the opponents, I believe. When an opponent is too weak the champions are not so "motivated". Wait for the matches od Real Madrid in the CL and yoou will appreciate the good old Real Madrid.

Note: bith the matches vs Man Utd were fantastic last year and also the matches vs Juventus were. The true problem of Real Madrid is the defense and that has to do nothing with the fact that they are boring.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Real Madrid is not playing well. That's a fact. Press in Spain criticizes the team and Quieroz every week, they are living of Casillas (he's so underrated, when he's as good as Buffon) and Ronaldo. When they fail, Real Madrid lose. Queiroz was not able to create a system, they have 4 or 5 of the best players of the world, they can play awful, they can be undermotivated, but always appear one of them to win the match. This "system" can work against small-medium teams, but it may not be enough to win La Liga (Valencia is the current leader playing really well, although not beautiful) or the Champions League (Juve or Milan are more "team" than Real Madrid and they have top players too).

Real Madrid is very unbalanced, the defense is not that good. Only Salgado is playing really well. Even Roberto Carlos has been booed in the Bernabeu (2 weeks ago against Murcia).

All this is true, but when they are motivated (normally in big matches) they don't fail, except the match of Valencia. They have beated Depor, Atletico and Barça without big efforts and they feel really comfortable in CL, as always.

So, IMO, they are not so exciting to watch, I think that's true. But any day they can beat any team without giving the 100% and that's true too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,086 Posts
Calcio,

Even if media can't stop talking about Madrid, you still don't have to watch. Anyway, our run as best club has probably ended and Milan is the best (at this moment in time), though this can change again any second.

Koeman,

I consider you a very fair fan (you don't like Madrid, but you are fair). How many absurd PKs did Valencia get this year? off the top of my head, they have 6 points just because of these.

And no, im not a sore loser because refs have helped un in the past, but since they still have to come to Bernabeu, i think its 50-50 between (depends how far we go in CL).
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
calcio100 said:
I know some of you will disagree but Real is very lousy to watch. Their game plan is just pass the ball in the middle of the pack over and over .....and over... Maybe their main aim is to get high possession. Haven't teams learned something from the underdogs of wc2002 Senegal, Turkey and Korea. Getting 1000 passes before reaching the other side is not cool. Play the game the way teams like Valencia, Depor, Arsenal are currently playing. No wonder EPL is still the most popular league. If they can put a little spice(like dribbling) into their league they will attract more followers.

Is it a coincidence that Madrid's style of play coincided with Zidane joining the team. They guy is just sucking the life out of their style of play. He is too slow. And now that Carlos is burnt out they can't move forward as fast as they used to do.
Amen to that my friend. You got it right on the money! I sit and watch every single game and I hardly get excited anymore. They almost always get outplayed and its because of what you said that they pass the ball a million times in the midfield without moving up. The times Ronaldo and Raul get the ball can be counted on one hand. Its ridiculous. Although i don't think Zidane is entirely to blame because I think Figo dribbles to much I guess I can see your point. But its about time someone else noticed this too.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,038 Posts
It is a team from another world. It is the team that when everything goes right is unbeatable. But that does not mean they are always unbeatable.
True, they became guilty more than often of playing for style rather than substance, mostly against the small teams. They are extremelly arrogant. But they also showed in the main games, when the respect for the adversary is bigger, they reduce that (but not end it). But basically, the team was build for that.
Now, change to the pragmant, speed counter-attacking style of Valencia, Arsenal or Deportivo and that would make them sucessful ? Real Madrid won in the last 5 years more than those 3 teams together. And with the players they have, they are never be able to play something but a game of "ball possession". It suits every single player there and they do have quality for this.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
Koeman,

I consider you a very fair fan (you don't like Madrid, but you are fair). How many absurd PKs did Valencia get this year? off the top of my head, they have 6 points just because of these.

And no, im not a sore loser because refs have helped un in the past, but since they still have to come to Bernabeu, i think its 50-50 between (depends how far we go in CL).
I don't have any problem to say I'm antimadridista, I want to see them losing even in the training camp. But I don't have any problem to say that Real Madrid when Real Madrid has played well and when they didn't.

In December, Real Madrid won really important and difficult matches against direct rivals such as Depor, Barça and Atlético Madrid. Even in those days, I don't think Real Madrid had great performances. But they are so effective that they won without big efforts. I do think that Real Madrid is, IN THEORY, better than any team you can think about. Real Madrid is superior to Milan or Juve... but this is not maths, and they have to prove it.

Real Madrid sometimes is totally out of the match, in January that has happened very often, and anyone can take profit of it. I don't think Real Madrid is today an unstopable machine of making football.

About Valencia, we can always complain. It's true that I recall Aimar's PK last saturday as something... let's say "strange". I can't think about other big mistake, but I have bad memory. I also recall a strange ref in the Real Madrid-Murcia. But I don't think this is definitive. I mean, Real Madrid and Valencia are going to have good and bad refs, so I don't think this is gonnae}2097ce La Liga to one or other side.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
JCamilo said:
It is a team from another world. It is the team that when everything goes right is unbeatable. But that does not mean they are always unbeatable.
True, they became guilty more than often of playing for style rather than substance, mostly against the small teams. They are extremelly arrogant. But they also showed in the main games, when the respect for the adversary is bigger, they reduce that (but not end it). But basically, the team was build for that.
Now, change to the pragmant, speed counter-attacking style of Valencia, Arsenal or Deportivo and that would make them sucessful ? Real Madrid won in the last 5 years more than those 3 teams together. And with the players they have, they are never be able to play something but a game of "ball possession". It suits every single player there and they do have quality for this.
It's true that Valencia and Depor have a different style, based in a ordered defense. But Valencia and Depor are not a counter-attack team. I think they have a good defense-attack balance. If you watched the Valencia-Real Madrid for example, you could watched how Valencia tried to suffocate Real Madrid, that's what Valencia and Depor try to do. They don't defend with thousands of defenses around the keeper. Their first defense line is far away from their own goal and they pressure the rival's ball. I think they have really good player to play possession football as Vicente, Baraja, Aimar or Albelda (perhaps the less talented and he can be as good as Makelele) or Mauro Silva, Se2097!2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,451 Posts
Who do you think they are? Prophets of God?:rolleyes:

The whole 'team from another planet' is based on reputation. If you have actually seen Real Madrid games over the years you'll understand what i'm talking about, you never know which Real Madrid team is going to show up to play. Don't judge on our recent matches against Mallorca, Murcia and Sociedad.
Our games against Atletico and Depor is some of the most beautifull exquisit football you'll ever see. Or take a look at the 3-1 win over Manu last year. Or 2-0 against Bayern. Some of the stuff Zidane, Roberto Carlos etc.. do with the ball are absolutely mouthwatering.

Anyway, no team is perfect. But if you honestly think Real Madrid are a boring team to watch, then you haven't seen them enough.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Kiyan said:
Who do you think they are? Prophets of God?:rolleyes:

The whole 'team from another planet' is based on reputation. If you have actually seen Real Madrid games over the years you'll understand what i'm talking about, you never know which Real Madrid team is going to show up to play. Don't judge on our recent matches against Mallorca, Murcia and Sociedad.
Our games against Atletico and Depor is some of the most beautifull exquisit football you'll ever see. Or take a look at the 3-1 win over Manu last year. Or 2-0 against Bayern. Some of the stuff Zidane, Roberto Carlos etc.. do with the ball are absolutely mouthwatering.

Anyway, no team is perfect. But if you honestly think Real Madrid are a boring team to watch, then you haven't seen them enough.
you are right about Zidane, Carlos and co. but remember how they played last year?? man, they were so fun to watch, fancy flicks and passes, amazing runs over the whole 90 mins, now we get that in 5 - 10 min streches...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,570 Posts
he's so underrated, when he's as good as Buffon
:D
You joking right?

WHy is it that everyone keeps saying dont watch, when calcio is simply stating that he does not see the fuss about real? He is critizing the team but with no bad intentions. Dont see whats the ironic answers got to do with it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,038 Posts
Matter of therminology, Koeman. A counter attacking team is not a highly defensive team that puts everyone in their defense, but a team that recovers the ball and moves with speed using the space that the adversary left open after. Brazil of 1970 for example, counter attacking team, so was Brazil of 2002 and not the Brazil of 1994 (a defensive team).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
I disagree. I think Real Madrid are fantastic to watch. They are one of the few teams that can you just sit down, watch and enjoy it. Even though I hate them, I cannot deny that they are a superb team on their day.

Zidane is a genious. He is made of silk. Every move he makes is class. Figo can still be good. He makes good dribbles, passes and crosses every now and then. Beckham is a fine passer and crosser, but is like every other player really. The only thing that separates him from other generally good players is his free kicks. They are one of a kind. A breath-taking sight to witness. There is Raul who is a great goalscorer and also does some nice little moves and touches. Then there is Ronaldo, a player that I hate, but a champion nevertheless. In my opinion, the best finisher in the world. Finally, you have Roberto Carlos. I admire this guy because he is brilliant. Running up and down the full length of the pitcxh for 90 minutes, giving his all, attacking like he is a natural attacker and defending solidly too. The most powerful left foot in the business.

When these guys take the field, they certainly put on a show!
 
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Top