Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, management have botched this season. Calderon and Mijatovic committed vast amounts of resources into signing Cristiano Ronaldo - a misguided strategy that has ultimately proven their downfall; missing out on other mercato targets in addition to losing Robinho in the process. It's not that I lack faith in our abilities to win something this year, but I think it is fair to say the institutional crisis and internal power struggles will prove a huge distraction for the team.

I can't help but look forward to next season. 2009-2010 is a special season. The Champions League Final will be hosted at the Santiago Bernabeu... it will also be the first Final to be staged on a Saturday. History is awaiting to be written with fresh ink. Real Madrid need to be a part of this. To put ourselves in the best possible position to make a deep run in the CL next year we need to plan early for our summer signings and close those acquisitions with minimal fuss/media attention.

I think, there are three key areas which need addressing; firstly, we need two new central defenders. Cannavaro is going back to Italy and we're also going to cut our wage losses on Metzelder - in the summer he will have two years left on his contract and thus will be easier to dispense with. I think the options here will have to be shrewd signings and relatively cheap, considering that we need to commit significant resources into crack signings in attack. Garay will be with us next season, and I would suggest William Gallas as the other signing. He's going to be availabe and comes cheap, experienced and is a great defender. Furthermore, he compliments Pepe perfectly. Secondly, in midfield we need to sign another creative midfielder as Guti is not going to be a big factor in a new regime, whilst VdV has never truly convinced me. I would like to see one of the two leave in order to accommodate Diego. Thirdly, in attack is where we need to make at least two signings - cracks, matchwinners and genuine world-class talent. Karim Benzema is a no-brainer, but I'd also take Carlos Tevez from Manchester. The man is a pitbull with a great fighting spirit - he would add a lot to our team with his range of qualities.

So...Garay, Gallas, Diego, Tevez and Benzema.

Arshavin in January.

Casillas

S.Ramos - Gallas - Pepe - Marcelo

Diarra - Gago

Diego
(Sneijder)

Higuain - - - - - Tevez
(Arshavin) - - - - - (Robben)

Benzema
(RvN/Raul)​

----------------------------------------

Plenty of quality, competition and depth.

How would you shake up the team for next year?

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Dont want no part of Gallas, he's going to be 32 and freaking overrated as hell.

This is a bit early dont you think? :D

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
i also disagree on gallas and i dont think that either guti or (especially) vdv is going anywhere. tevez seems to come closer every day. he'd be a great signing

i still think the LB is our weakest position though

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
i also disagree on the Gallas suggestion, so make that 'me three'.

there was talk of Cannavaro getting a new contract but that is before we lost 4 matches and him convincing the blind/unconvinced that his time with us should be over. Garay comes in and yes we'll need another CB. i quite like Chielini from Juve, but italian defenders are risky. i cant think of any other CBs to be honest and i dont trust this management to think of a decent one either.

Benzema should be our number one signing. Ruud will come back from injury and will need time to recover, and still we dont know if he'll continue. and Raul, well the less said the better. saviola should be gone in january nevermind next summer. leaves us with only higuain.

i would like Tevez as well, but we need width. it cannot be only Robben (drenthe should go out on loan). we have to be looking at a right winger or possibly settle for Capel maybe. maybe take a punt at Joaquin, but his inconsistency is too much of a gamble.

Diego im not so sure. i dont want to rely on Guti either, but i think VDV and Sneijder are more than adequate and both can do the job if we give them time and space and not play them as central midfielders. we have gago, diarra and DLR for those positions, lets hope the new coach puts players where they belong.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gallas won't work, he doesn't know how to head, atleast when it comes to defending.
...he isn't bad in the air, but he doesn't need to be great as Pepe is there. Gallas has plenty of ground speed and is a solid defender. Also keep in mind that price is a factor, we are spending huge sums of money on world-class attacking talent so we can't afford to be spending top dollar on defenders. Gallas comes cheap as he is free to leave Arsenal, he will not cost more than 4M€ as he can buy-out his contract, and has three years left at the top level.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
What about 2017-2018?
our line up will be

-----------ruiz
manolo-felipe-costa-garcia
obami-van der werken-papinho
---babamusta-costa

CL winning material :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
our line up will be

-----------ruiz
manolo-felipe-costa-garcia
obami-van der werken-papinho
---babamusta-costa

CL winning material :thumbsup:

Costa brothers will be so awesome we will only need to play 10 players every match and still dominate :proud:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
im glad u get my line of thinking :D

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I want no part of Gallas.

Unlike others here, I do not think he's overrated. I like his footballing ability and think he's a very good defender, however, I think he's an absolutely awful human being on the level of a Samuel Eto'o for example. Gallas has no class, doesn't do well with young players(which we have a ton of), and I want nothing to do with his bad attitude.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Why would you want Tevez on the left? 35 year old Giggs is twice as fast as him.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Why would you want Tevez on the left? 35 year old Giggs is twice as fast as him.

I would even say as a forward a 35 year old Giggs is better. I have never been convinced by Tevez and im watching the Man Utd game today and he has looked absolutely pathetic. Give me Zarate any day of the week :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
u're making it sound as if giggs is usain bolt or something. and lets not overrate speed. ok speed is good but there are a zillion other factors, on and off the pitch

tevez is simply too good to overlook

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
hala madrid u must take into account that tevez has been complaining recently about his position and general mission in the game for man u. being unhappy does effect your game

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
u're making it sound as if giggs is usain bolt or something. and lets not overrate speed. ok speed is good but there are a zillion other factors, on and off the pitch

tevez is simply too good to overlook
No I'm not, thats the point, he is 35 years old with dodgy hamstrings and Tevez makes him look like Bolt. Still a good player tho but horrifically out of form at the moment.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts