Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIVERPOOL are facing a fight to keep Rafa Benitez - as Real Madrid's new president Fernando Martin Alvarez wants him to be the club's new coach.

Benitez has jumped ahead of England chief Sven Goran Eriksson on the wish-list of the Spanish giants after the shock exit of Florentino Perez.

The Kop boss was reluctant to push himself for the job because he knew former supremo Perez likes to sign superstars like David Beckham - at odds with Benitez's team-building style. Perez believed Eriksson was the ideal man for the post with the galacticos because of his own jet-setting image and lifestyle.

But now he has gone, a major change of direction is on the cards. Benitez would rather work with team players than big names - and that may be the new approach under Martin.

Benitez had a long spell with Real as reserve coach and it would be a massive lure if they came calling. Liverpool could expect a huge battle to keep him.

Former world rally champion Carlos Sainz says he is considering standing for the presidency of Real Madrid at the next elections in 2008 - although Perez's departure could prompt an earlier poll.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=16762438&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=exclusive--real-fears-at-anfield-over-rafa-name_page.html

·
Registered
747 Posts
I sure hope it isn't true, Rafa is what's holding our team together tactically...

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
this is about the 4th thread, like benitez has said many times he's happy and settled and wants to be at LFC long term. he also has full authority something he neve rgot at valencia which deterred him from the job, real are even mroe strict.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Rafa leaving will be the worst thing that can happen to us right now

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Doubt Rafa would leave now, especially as his squad is just coming together. Plus the news that he's trying desperately to keep our chief scout and reserve team manager Paco Herrera from leaving to go back to Spain next season doesn't suggest he's thinking of going to Real.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I hate Real Madrid, why do they always phuck with us? McManaman, Owen, Nunez and the inevitable Bentiez, Xabi Alonso unsettling.I can only take comfort from the fact that Benitez and Alonso are respectful men, and that we beat Real in a European Cup Final.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
The big fish always eats the little fish...

as I stated before Benitez is a merengue and with F. Perez and his fantasy football out the door, this story takes on more creditability.

benitez repersents everything that is not apart of Perez plans, the questions I have is will Martin look at Benitez of try to bring back VDB.

In months to come I see Real cleaning house of the Perez legacy and building it's foundations on spanish players & staff

Cesc, L. Garcia, Alonso, Reyes will become players that will get a hard look at from Real.

The hurricane is about to begin...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
thank **** Cesc is a Cule, he will diplomatically say nice things about Madrid without ever having any intention to join them. :thumbsup:

you can have Reyes if you offer Robinho or Cassano in a swap.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I think Robinho, Ramos, Cicinho and Iker will be safe from the house cleaning.

Cesc maybe blaugrana but it would not be the first time a madridista or cule have passed in either direction.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Che said:

as I stated before Benitez is a merengue and with F. Perez and his fantasy football out the door, this story takes on more creditability.

benitez repersents everything that is not apart of Perez plans, the questions I have is will Martin look at Benitez of try to bring back VDB.

In months to come I see Real cleaning house of the Perez legacy and building it's foundations on spanish players & staff

Cesc, L. Garcia, Alonso, Reyes will become players that will get a hard look at from Real.

Luis Garcia :howler: You can have him on free, it's like selling you a Cule version of Antonio Nunez only slightly better. ;)

Alonso has snubbed you before, Reyes and the other Arse guys I don't care about.

And as for small fish, well, as I see it Real are definitely a small fish compared to Liverpool and even Barca nowadays. ;)

I can't believe you guys are taking this seriously, every few months there's a Rafa rumour coming out, enough with this sh*t. Everytime Real Madrid needs a coach every Spaniard on earth is being mentioned as candidate.

Rafa Benitez is the coach of the European Champions, he has built a side that is only second to Chelski's moneymachine and is under contract

Do I have to be more clear?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Che said:

Typical Real arrogance and this is the type of fan that club attracts tbh....very simalar to the Mancs. :thmbdown:

The type of support, control and stability he recieves from the LFC board and fans will never be available to him at Real Madrid even with a new President but if his perogative is to move for family reasons/lifestyle or something else then it's fair enough but on a football level I don't see it at all. The very reason he moved from Valencia was because of boardroom politics and interferance...multiply that by 10 and you have the Real Madrid circus.

Btw...

Lol. :howler:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair to Benitez he will be put in a very difficult situation if Real go for him, at Pool he is loved by everyone but maybe it's his dream to manage his boyhood team.

He supported them as a kid right?

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Red Bed said:
To be fair to Benitez he will be put in a very difficult situation if Real go for him, at Pool he is loved by everyone but maybe it's his dream to manage his boyhood team.

True, this is really the only reason for him to go. But like I said it will not happen now. I don't expect Benitez to manage us for 15 years (but who knows) though, so I imagine that he will be their manager in some point far far away in the future.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
He was youth team manager and assistant to Del Bosque for years there but Rafa is a realist if nothing else and he understands more then anyone the shelf life of a manager at Real Madrid. The fact he knows all about the club and how it operates is a negative not a positive imo.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Che said:
Cesc maybe blaugrana but it would not be the first time a madridista or cule have passed in either direction.
can't you see it in his smile when they asked about them, you couldn't have got the tongue out of his cheek with a herd of elephants? :D

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Red Bed said:

he was a player on the youth side

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
7aint9 said:
Typical Real arrogance and this is the type of fan that club attracts tbh....very simalar to the Mancs. :thmbdown:

The type of support, control and stability he recieves from the LFC board and fans will never be available to him at Real Madrid even with a new President but if his perogative is to move for family reasons/lifestyle or something else then it's fair enough but on a football level I don't see it at all. The very reason he moved from Valencia was because of boardroom politics and interferance...multiply that by 10 and you have the Real Madrid circus.

Btw...

Lol. :howler:
no arrogance just looking at the very distinct possiblity that Real will make a play for Benitez and other spanish players who have achieved both in and out of spain.

There is a connection between Benitez & Real and as all of us know those go down to the heart & soul when it comes to our passion of a club.

This is why I think that this story actually holds up, Perez & his fantasy football is out and Rafa epitomizes everything that is anti-galactico

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
i don't think he'll join up with you guys now, maybe in a few seasons time though. he's here for the long term, and unless it's for family or lifestyle issues there is no other reason. Boyhood club? Rafa has tons of time left to manage clubs, and by the time he's done here he will have won many things to add to his CV, any club will take him then. the opportunity is not once in a lifetime, he will always be coveted. and you know what? he knows that.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts