Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spain's Helguera slams Rivaldo

ULSAN, South Korea (Reuters) - Spain midfielder Ivan Helguera says Rivaldo should be sanctioned for his exaggerated reaction in the incident that saw Turkey's Hakan Unsal sent off in Brazil's 2-1 World Cup win.

"I didn't really like what Rivaldo did," Helguera said. "I didn't like it at all.

"That a player should have to leave the pitch for what he did, for all that later he (Rivaldo) says it was deserved, is unforgivable.

"It's not for me to decide on a sanction but if it were I'd say yes, it should be punished."

Unsal kicked the ball at Rivaldo as he prepared to take a corner and although the Brazilian was hit in the legs he went down theatrically clutching his face.

The Turkish midfielder, who had been booked in the first half, received a second yellow card and had to leave the field.

FIFA's World Cup disciplinary committee have already said they will look into the incident, which occurred in the last minute of the group C game.

Luis Enrique, who plays alongside former World Player of the Year Rivaldo at Barcelona, expressed more support for his club team mate.

"Rivaldo is a colleague, someone I admire. His behaviour on and off the pitch has always been immaculate," he said.

Rivaldo won the match for Brazil with an 87th minute penalty controversially awarded after substitute Luizao was brought down in a tussle that clearly started outside the penalty area.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turkey slams Rivaldo's play-acting

ULSAN, South Korea (Reuters) - The head of Turkey's football association slammed Rivaldo's play-acting during Brazil's World Cup defeat of Turkey, saying the player had fallen over as if hit by a brain haemorrhage.

Hakan Unsal was dismissed in the last minute of Monday's controversial group C game, which Brazil won 2-1, after kicking the ball at Rivaldo, a former world player of the year, as he waited to take a corner.

"Hakan hit the ball hard to Rivaldo who was waiting for a corner. I do not condone or approve of Hakan's action but Rivaldo held his head and fell down like he was having a brain haemorrhage despite the ball hitting his legs - it was acting," Haluk Ulusoy said on Tuesday.

"They told us when we came here that any action designed to fool a referee would be punished, but it's our players who are being punished," he said on a visit to the Turkish training camp.

The ball clearly hit Rivaldo in the legs but the Barcelona player, who won the game with a late penalty, fell backwards theatrically in apparent agony, clutching his face.

Rivaldo's role in the sending-off in Brazil's opening match will be closely studied by the World Cup disciplinary committee, FIFA announced on Tuesday.

Turkish team officials said they were keenly awaiting the result of the FIFA meeting and would consider an appeal if they felt justice was not done.

South Korean referee Kim Young Joo showed red cards to two Turkish players in the final heated minutes of the game, with controversy surrounding both decisions.

Defender Alpay Ozalan received his for pulling down Brazilian striker Luizao as he raced toward the Turkish goal, the referee awarding a penalty with the Turks protesting that the foul was committed outside the box.

Ulusoy criticised the referee for allowing the Brazilians to fool him.

"The entire world saw Turkey's rights being stolen," he said. "That referee could not run a Turkish second division match," he said.

"I don't know where the World Cup is going with these referees."

FIFA has assigned a referee from Benin, Coffi Codjia, to Turkey's June 9 group C match against Costa Rica and Ulusoy admitted he was concerned.

"Is there professionalism there? What is the referee's career? It's not clear," he said.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rivaldo faces possible sanction over play-acting

YOKOHAMA, Japan (Reuters) - Former World Player of the Year Rivaldo faces possible sanctions for his exaggerated reaction to an incident in Brazil's opening World Cup group C match against Turkey.

The World Cup disciplinary committee was scheduled to study Rivaldo's theatrics to see if the Brazilian was guilty of simulating a foul. Referees have been instructed to crack down on play-acting at the tournament.

Turkey midfielder Hakan Unsal was sent off after kicking the ball at Rivaldo as he waited to take a corner in Ulsan, South Korea. Although the ball hit Rivaldo in the legs, he collapsed dramatically to the ground clutching his face in apparent agony.

Rivaldo, who had earlier converted the penalty which gave Brazil a 2-1 victory, was unrepentant.

"My experience counts," he said. "I think he deserved to be sent off, of course he didn't get me in a place where I could be hurt."

FIFA spokesman Keith Cooper told a news conference in Seoul on Tuesday that the disciplinary committee would examine a videotape of the incident.

He said it would look closely "at the reaction of Rivaldo, at the reaction of him being struck somewhere below the waist".

TURKISH OUTRAGE

Turkey players and officials were outraged with coach Senol Gunes describing the decision by South Korean referee Kim Young-joo as an injustice.

"The referee changed the course of the game," he said. "The referee made an abnormal error."

The head of Turkey's football association Haluk Ulusoy urged FIFA to punish Rivaldo who he said had fallen over as if hit by a brain haemorrhage.

"It was acting," he said. "They told us when we came here that any action designed to fool a referee would be punished."

Two Turkish teenagers were detained by police in Berlin's Potsdamer Platz shopping plaza for throwing bottles at Brazilian fans after the incident. Hundreds of fans had gathered to watch the match on a giant screen.

Rivaldo's histrionics were widely condemned by players and coaches at the World Cup co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

Spain midfielder Ivan Helguera said Rivaldo's reaction was unforgivable and should be punished. "I'd say yes, it should be sanctioned," he said.

Germany coach Rudi Voeller also criticised Rivaldo's performance.

"Brazil's victory was deserved but what Rivaldo did was not right," he said. "Such a great player shouldn't behave that way."

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended his player, saying Rivaldo had put his hands on his face to prevent the ball hitting him there.

"The ball hit him on the knee and then bounced upwards," Scolari said. "He put his hand on his face to stop being hit on the face."

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rivaldo decision delayed until Wednesday

YOKOHAMA, Japan (Reuters) - Former World Player of the Year Rivaldo will learn on Wednesday whether he will be punished for his theatrics in Brazil's opening World Cup match against Turkey on Monday.

The World Cup disciplinary committee had been scheduled to study Rivaldo's actions, which outraged the Turkish team, on Tuesday to see if the Brazilian was guilty of simulating a foul.

Referees have been told to make a crackdown on "simulation" their number one concern at the month-long tournament.

A spokesman at world governing body FIFA told Reuters on Tuesday a decision had now been delayed until Wednesday.

"The matter will be dealt with tomorrow," he said.

On Monday Turkey midfielder Hakan Unsal was sent off after kicking the ball at Rivaldo as he waited to take a corner near the end of Brazil's 2-1 win in Ulsan, South Korea.

Although the ball hit Rivaldo in the legs, he collapsed dramatically to the ground clutching his face in apparent agony.

Rivaldo escaped punishment on the field, although he was booed by fans at the match, and will probably be fined by FIFA. Fines introduced for the first time at this World Cup for play-acting cover only players who have been booked or sent off.

The head of Turkey's football association Haluk Ulusoy urged FIFA to punish Rivaldo who he said had fallen over as if hit by a brain haemorrhage.

"It was acting," Ulusoy said. "They told us when we came here that any action designed to fool a referee would be punished."

FIFA said last week they would review all bookings and red cards for simulation the day after the match to prevent players being wrongly punished.

"Simulation is cheating, whether it is diving or rolling around pretending to be hurt when you haven't been touched," FIFA general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen said when announcing the crackdown in March.

Rivaldo, who had earlier converted the penalty which gave Brazil a 2-1 victory, was unrepentant.

"My experience counts," he said. "I think he deserved to be sent off, of course he didn't get me in a place where I could be hurt."

TURKISH OUTRAGE

Turkey players and officials were outraged with coach Senol Gunes describing the decision by South Korean referee Kim Young-joo as an injustice.

"The referee changed the course of the game," he said. "The referee made an abnormal error."

Two Turkish teenagers were detained by police in Berlin's Potsdamer Platz shopping plaza for throwing bottles at Brazilian fans after the incident. Hundreds of fans had gathered to watch the match on a giant screen.

"It wasn't the Samba but a Korean who destroyed us," was the front page headline in Hurriyet daily.

Rivaldo's histrionics were widely condemned by players and coaches at the World Cup co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

Spain midfielder Ivan Helguera said Rivaldo's reaction was unforgivable and should be punished. "I'd say yes, it should be sanctioned," he said.

Germany coach Rudi Voeller also criticised Rivaldo's performance.

"Brazil's victory was deserved but what Rivaldo did was not right," he said. "Such a great player shouldn't behave that way."

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended his player, saying Rivaldo had put his hands on his face to prevent the ball hitting him there.

"The ball hit him on the knee and then bounced upwards," Scolari said. "He put his hand on his face to stop being hit on the face."

In the 1994 World Cup, Italy's Mauro Tassotti was banned for eight matches for elbowing a Spanish player in the face. The referee missed the incident but FIFA took action after the game. The ban ended the defender's international career.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Simulating Rivaldo escapes ban Wednesday 5 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazil’s Rivaldo has been handed a £5,000 fine by FIFA for his play acting which resulted in a Turkish player being dismissed.

The Barcelona man feigned injury in the 2-1 win over the Europeans after Hakan Unsal kicked the ball at his leg while the Samba star was set to take a corner.

But Rivaldo fell to the ground clutching his head before Unsal was sent off by the referee.

FIFA had warned before the World Cup that they would take a strong line against play acting and initial reports had suggested that the Lazio target could receive a one-match ban.

However, football’s world governing body have instead only handed the attacking sensation a fine.

"The FIFA disciplinary committee has announced that they have imposed a total fine of 11,500 Swiss francs on Brazil’s Rivaldo for an incident in the June 3 match between Brazil and Turkey," read a FIFA statement.

Rivaldo’s actions had been condemned by many sectors of the football world.

channel4

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
kaiserh said:
What is this?
Fifa fined him and its over.
Of course its over. What did u want ? The FIFA to hang him or what. :fero:

This kind of thing happens all the time in proffesional football. This time it has been blown out of proportions becoz it has Rivaldo involved.

I am not defending his actions as they were really silly and should be avoided by all players and teams. Though I would have liked to see a much bigger amount of fine issued, which would have hurt him financially.

Bye

1 - 7 of 7 Posts