Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has b'com old news oredi but.. just another short story.. on how raul felt after the game.

"Raul's Tragedy"

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- The front pages in every Spanish daily Monday depicted the same thing -- the anguish of superstar Raul over a botched penalty kick.

Raul Gonzalez's error was a ball that soared wildly over the upper left corner of the crossbar in the closing seconds of Sunday's quarterfinal game against France, handing the world champion a 2-1 win and Spain yet another early exit from a big international tournament.

"Raul's tragedy," El Pais headlined.

"Spain crashes out of Euro 2000 with another disappointment under its belt," ABC moaned.

"Raul sends Spain's dream up into the clouds," the sports daily Marca added.

Raul, Real Madrid's scoring ace who turns 23 on Tuesday, said after the game that he'd had a good cry over it all.

"I cried on the field, in the dressing room and in the hotel," he told Spanish radio. "I had been waiting a long time for this moment. When opportunities come along, you have to seize them. This on got away, but there will be others."

Marca also ran photos of a distraught Raul being consoled by Spanish teammates and by French players Nicolas Anelka and Christiane Karembeu, who played alongside him last year at Real Madrid.

The paper also ran a section in which some readers commenting on Raul's historic flub could not help mention the salary he will reportedly earn next year at Real Madrid: one billion pesetas, or dlrs 6 million.

"Raul, I don't blame you man, I really don't. But a billion pesetas a season and then this," exclaimed one reader, Manuel Yeste Doblas. He then rattled off a string of Spanish players known for big-stakes blunders and added: "Welcome to the club."

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Painful to read. I wonder if he even had any fun at his birthday? poor guy and who was that idiot commenting the salary? Don't people know penalties are luck? :mad:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
How could they be soooooooo cruel?
Did the National Team make a contact with him on ten billion pesetas? Did Real rob their $ to pay of $6M/year for Raul? Nooooooooooo...!:mad:
So the salary and the penalty-kick are totally different stories!!!
What he did for Real Madrid showed that Raul is worth all our respects and the $ that Real's willing to pay for him!

P

·
0 Posts
Why does it bother you so much?

It doesn't bother me that you always insist on Geremi staying at Real (although the rest of us know it isn't going to happen). Besides, I don't have the time to read on how to make smileys. So....you can give me a crash course on the boards or I will just have to continue as such.hehehehehe

Laugh, life is short.

=)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
you do smilies like this :)

Raul is great, we all know that and it annoyed me soo much to see the guy miss :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts