Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C.Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Messi
Zidane
Rivaldo

As a "whole package" if you know what I mean (not complete player or whatever fancy definition you guys like to use). Forget the world cups and other titles for a while. Just want an honest unbiased answer about how you would rate them at their peak performances i.e. best games they have ever played (consistently)

For me
1. Ronaldo
Pre injury Ronaldo was a beast. Best player ever since Maradona imo

2. Messi
He is the the best player currently playing but I think he falls a bit short of what Ronaldo could offer. He could never dominate a game the way Ronaldo did. Can easily be marked out/bullied out of a game. I still rate him very high though

3. Rivaldo
Very underrated but has produced some excellent performance for both Brasil and Barca. Literally carried a struggling Barca on his own for a few seasons

4. Zidane
Fancy touches, good dribbles in easy areas like the center of the field but his goal scoring record is just embarassing for a non defensive midfielder. I rate him lower than those 3. I actually put him in the same level as Xavi who is very good at keeping possession of the ball but lacks that extra skill that separates boys from men. I actually put him in the top 5 gems of recent players because I know people rate him highly.

5. C.Ronaldo
Seems like a guy who can only do well against small epl opponents. Still hasn't convinced me yet. I would honestly put Kaka ahead of him

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Ronaldo at his peak was miles ahead of any player, and as Calcio said, best player since Diego.

Rivaldo was brilliant in his prime too.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
none of them dominate games a la Cryuff, Di Stefano, Platini, Zico etc , even Redondo...is not in their style..all of them can own a result any given minute and be a menace for great periods of them...that sounds similar, but ain't...

Messi is the one with the role and more capabilties to play a Cryuff or Zico...but only time will tell if he had the head/will to do it OR if he manteins to be a menace for long periods in his career and with more fixed roles in the pitch..will be a delicate balance to not ruin what already he has and in the meantime to deal with the every day bigger pression.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Ohh Fangio is here, turning this into a history thread again. You mean you can't just compare those 5? Is that too much to ask
I did, I just said that dominate ain't their primary "field" in their style, while saying that Messi is the one that have the tools to do it...if he has the head and if will end to be a great change to try or not, in oposition to mantein his current style, I dunno...

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Ronaldo
Zidane
Rivaldo
Messi
Ronaldo

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Open this thread once all of the 5 players you have mentioned have finished their careers. Zidane is the only who has retired from all of them, C. Ronaldo and Messi are you young and we are uncertain if they have peaked yet or not, considering their age IMO I do not think so.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts