Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Rapaic has said that he will play out his contract with Fenerbahce, and that he will stay for one year, despite Parma's interest in him.

I am really surprised that he has said this, but it seems like bluffing to me. I think he would gladly switch to Parma, which is a more high-profile club, where he would make more money.

After his fine WC performance, it seems as if he could make a lot of money for Fener. I can only see him staying with us if Ortega has signed with Newcastle:confused:

·
*the drum drum*
43,074 Posts
He'll leave..

It's not his choice whether he wants to stay or leave...We don't want him, so either he leaves, or he keeps our bench warm for another season..:D

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that he will warm the bench. He is too good and could bring in some serious dough which we could use to buy Nihat or Geremi:) (at least I hope so)

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
Apparently Rapaic has said that he will play out his contract with Fenerbahce, and that he will stay for one year, despite Parma's interest in him.
I don't mind seeing him with the team one more year, if he's really gonna play.;)

But if he's gonna avoid playing like a real player, he will definitely sit on the bench. We have alternatives like Revivo, Ortega and Yusuf :cool:

It's gonna be a lot better if he stays for the CL games;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks as if he, Johnson, and Simao will be on the bench most of the time. I don't think he is going to like this very much:D :tongue:

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
It looks as if he, Johnson, and Simao will be on the bench most of the time. I don't think he is going to like this very much
I think Fenerbahce will loan Simao to some other team. IMO Johnson will be a starter,we need somebody to run;)

·
*the drum drum*
43,074 Posts
Johnson won't sit the bench...
The reason that we are trying to transfer either Gilberto or Almeyda is because Lorant wants a midfielder to partner Johnson in the defensive, ball-winning role he plays...
For this reason, I think Gilberto would be a better choice, as he is taller, stronger and younger than Almeyda....But Almeyda is also a great ball player, and he has played together with Ortega before...

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if Johnson starts, then we will have all foreigners in the midfield and Mirkovic will have to sit on the bench...right?

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
So if Johnson starts, then we will have all foreigners in the midfield and Mirkovic will have to sit on the bench...right?
That's gonna be tough:eek: :cool:

I think Johnson, Revivo, Ortega, will be starters. Fourth foreginer is going to be the new midfield player either Gilberto or Almeyda.

Rapajic, Washington and Mirkovic will share the fifth spot. The performance of Oktay, Yusuf and Ogun will be decisive for foreigner selection:)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We really have loads of talent, don't we?:eekani:

A guy like Washington could be on the bench for us:dazed: :confused: Our depth at some positions is starting to look like Inter Milan's depth:tongue: :D

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
Our depth at some positions is starting to look like Inter Milan's depth
Also, our debt is starting to look like Inter Milans debt:D :rolleyes: :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Seems about right to me. With all that huge outlay to bring in (and pay ;) ) Ortega, Washington and eventually Almeyda, Fener need to balance the books by selling a few players.
BTW, I heard the goal keeper is wanting out. He's been outstanding in this WC. How much is he worth?(his price tag must have inflated three-fold after the WC :D :D ) and would the Fener fans rather have him stay than move abroad?

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
Seems about right to me. With all that huge outlay to bring in (and pay ) Ortega, Washington and eventually Almeyda, Fener need to balance the books by selling a few players.
Yildirim was generous with the transfers, because Fenerbahce will open 15% of their shares to public;)

Hoepfully with all these new transfers we will have our share from CL pie;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BerberPride said:
BTW, I heard the goal keeper is wanting out. He's been outstanding in this WC. How much is he worth?(his price tag must have inflated three-fold after the WC :D :D ) and would the Fener fans rather have him stay than move abroad?
I don't know how much he is worth now, but before, he was not worth that much...hopefully it will be at least 15-20 million now.

Brescia, Deportiva la Coruna, and Man United are all intersted in him apparently, but it would be disastrous for our team if he left this year. All of our purchases would be kind of useless then.:(

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
it would be disastrous for our team if he left this year. All of our purchases would be kind of useless then.
Exactly:)

Transfering all new stars and losing the best keeper in the country just doesn't make sense;)

Unless of course if we get that $20 million you're talking about:tongue:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I guess we would buy another top keeper
I still think Oguz should get a chance;)

BTW, your link doesn't work:eek: :tongue:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is strange:confused:

I would fix it, but it is working for me:dazed:

·
*the drum drum*
43,074 Posts
The link works for me too...

I'll just post it here so Aragon can read it ;)
Its from Onefootball.com...

PROFILE Rustu takes Turkey to the brink

Tuesday 25th June 2002

The outstanding form of Turkey goalkeeper Rustu Recber has only been eclipsed at this World Cup by that of Germany counterpart Oliver Kahn.

But few fans of Senol Gunes' side would accept a straight swap if they line up against each other in Yokohama on Sunday.

Rustu's star may shine less brightly, but his dominant displays for Turkey in the Far East have been no less important than Kahn's for Germany.

Take it from Poland No 1 Jerzy Dudek, himself among the elite of European goalkeeping.

"Kahn has always been very good, but he just gets better and better," says the Liverpool star. "Mentally he's very strong. He has the soul of a winner and that helps him and Germany enormously.

"But Rustu is another of my favourites. He is the most underestimated goalkeeper in Europe."

Not for much longer.

Before leaving for the World Cup, Rustu spurned the advances of Manchester United and Aston Villa to spend another season with Fenerbahce, who in convincing the giant, agile keeper to stay completed one of the shrewdest pieces of business this summer.

Rustu insisted on settling his future before heading to the Orient so he could concentrate fully on Turkey and his country reaped the benefits from the off.

In the World Cup opener against Brazil, Rustu flung out a hand to keep out Rivaldo's downward header late in the first half, then dived full length to parry the same player's long-range drive as it speared towards the corner.

He was then on hand to block off Ronaldinho as the Paris Saint-Germain forward darted through on goal.

Brazil went on to win, but only a controversial late penalty came between Rustu winning his side a deserved point. And a series of strong performances since have given Turkey a chance to take their revenge on Wednesday.

Indeed, were it not for Rustu in the 1-1 draw with Costa Rica, Turkey might not have gone beyond the group stages.

The Fener hero has been Turkey's first choice for seven years and only skipper Hakan Sukur shares the same respect in Gunes' squad.

At the front and back, the pair are Turkey's leaders and it is a testament to Rustu's ability that while Hakan has been firing blanks, Turkey have continued to progress.

They have been able to live without Hakan's goals, but losing Rustu is unthinkable, a fact the keeper appears to acknowledge by continuously playing despite injuries.

Rustu carried on despite a back problem last season and at the World Cup has been forced to shrug off a thigh injury he aggravated in the victory over China.

Such is his commitment to club and country that Rustu often resorts to pain-killing injections before matches.

Typically, pain was the last thing on his mind as he contemplated facing Japan in the last 16. "It is of no importance now," he said. "We are experiencing a great joy and a great honour. Our health is unimportant at the moment."

This veteran of Euro 96 and Euro 2000 has won more caps than any other Turkish goalkeeper and the calm confidence he has gained through experience now rubs off on his defence.

Between them, reserve keepers Omer Catkic and Zafer Ozgultekin have won just seven caps, meaning Rustu has formed a remarkable understanding with centre-backs Alpay Ozalan and Bulent Korkmaz.

He was not called upon to do anything fancy against Senegal in the quarter-final, but the certainty of his decision-making portrayed a man at ease with the players in front of him.

Alpay and Bulent have been in commanding form, but if the back-four give up the ball, Rustu has been on hand to mop up. "With Rustu as our keeper, we have no worries even if we make mistakes," explains defender Fatih Akyel.

Turkey supporters feel likewise. The previous record appearance-maker in goal for Turkey, with 51 caps, was legendary Galatasaray star Turgay Seren. He is now a journalist and frequently expresses the belief that Rustu is a better player than he ever was.

Seren was nicknamed the Panther of Berlin after an heroic performance in Germany in the early 1950s. Likewise, the press dubbed Rustu the Panther of Dublin for his efforts against the Republic of Ireland in the Euro 2000 play-offs.

Turkey have already made history by reaching the semi-finals. Now beating Brazil would spark off the biggest street party Istanbul has seen.

It would also allow Rustu to go head to head with Kahn in the World Cup final, a fitting climax for the best goalkeepers of the tournament.

----------------------------------
We can't sell Rustu...
Because it will be extremely hard to replace him...
And if we do somehow find a 'keeper as capable as him, he'd most probably be a foreigner...:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts