Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Italy-France: real nail-biter until the end, Zidane headbutt one of the most iconic moments in WC history

2010 Spain-Holland: another tense nail-biter

1998 France-Brazil: sure it was one-sided but it was real upset given that Brazil was seen as favorites. Quality football.

2002: Brazil-Germany: classic match-up and Brazil deservedly won by two late goals

2014: Germany-Argentina: a bit of a letdown maybe after Germany-Brazil shocker in the semi. Argentina's anti-football kind of ruined this match but at least it was another final going to extra time, tense until the end.

1994: Brazil-Italy: I was too young to remember it clearly and I have not re-watched it...most likely it wasn't great but again the fate of the title was open until the end. Baggio legendary miss.

2018 France-Croatia: sure it had goals but it was over by the hour mark...lame. Frustrating to watch for everybody who rooted for Croatia (so pretty much for everybody outside of France and Africa).

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I'm usually less and less interested as the tournament progresses. That has been the case since 1998, anyway.

1994: Watched it on a vacation in a room full of Bosnian kids and their fathers (in DK, not in Yugo), everyone rooted for Brazil of course, except me, but it was memorable because of my age at the time and the fact that I was invested.

1990: Barely remember it, but I rooted for Goycochea Maradona and thought the penalty was incorrectly given (for some reason I recall a debate I had with a friend a few years later on that topic).

2014: Watched in a Biergarten in Berlin.. quite interesting because I had a lot of money on the line, but Reus (and precisely him) being subbed on and scoring ment that I lost them all.

1998: I slightly prefered France to Brazil, I guess, and R9 wasn't himself of course (soon after that the France/Zidane hype started to get seriously on my nerves. This would only end once Denmark, Uru, and Senegal sent them packing in 2002.)

2006: I was rooting heavily for Italy until the final, and was also happy to see them win, although PK shootout is sort of a letdown in a final, and some girl problems had arisen between semi and final, which ment I didn't really care about football anyway.

2002: A promising WC ruined by underperforming top teams, flukes and ref mistakes. The 1998-2002 Les Bleus hype had been replaced by the perenial Selecao hype. Probably the worst German team since WWII, so I didn't really care. I also, I think I may have had a bad feeling that R9 would be leaving Inter anyway.

2018: Watched it because I had French dudes on a fantasy team.

2010: Watched half of it at a bar in Hong Kong, didn't really care.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
My most memorable final was without a doubt Euro 1992, the ultimate joy. After that, Euro 2000.. a great tournament and great excitement in the final, followed by genuine suffering. Only then comes WC 1994.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
1. 2006. Good drama.
2. 1998. Fun plus the Ronny drama.
3. 2002. Ronny's redemption.
4. 2010. Kinda shit wasn't it.
5. 2018. Too one-sided.
6. 2014. I can't actually remember this lol.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2014: Watched in a Biergarten in Berlin.. quite interesting because I had a lot of money on the line, but Reus (and precisely him) being subbed on and scoring ment that I lost them all.
I made pretty big pre-tournament bets on Italy in 2006 and Spain in 2010 winning the whole thing so this might have been one reason why I remember those finals fondly.

·
Administrator
30,028 Posts
I like how you call Higuain by "Argentina Anti-Football"...

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I can't remember the 2002 Final because of the time; games were like at 4AM for us -- not sure if I was too asleep or too drunk.

The others:

1994 -- favorite, peak of my love for football, was rooting for Brazil but loved Milan and Italy too.

1998 -- Lots of quality in that pitch, very one-sided but two good teams with incredible players.

2010 -- Spain not at their best but it was great seeing them succeed after playing such amazing football for a few years, so enjoyed itthey really were really a "moment" in football history, and very climactic end. Also have a log-standing soft spot for Holland so that made it a good final for me.

2006 -- Very solid teams, balanced game. proper final.

2014 -- Argentina were mediocre, but made it out of sheer will power and Messi of course; watched it a big screen in a street, so it's a ll a bit distorted in my head

2018 -- Too many mistakes, fun but weird game

·
Registered
56,592 Posts
1. 1978
2. 1982
3. 1986
4. 1990
5. 1994
6. 1998
7. 2002
8. 2006

haven‘t watched a final after 2006. gradually lose interest after group stage is over.

apparently, I was more enthusiastic the younger I was. most of the times (with few exceptions) didn‘t have a team to cheer for, but always a team (or more) to cheer against.

same pattern applies to Euros, starting from 1976 and ending in 2004

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Nobody here seen the 1970 final? Assuming this thread is not just about finals you saw live.

Brazil vs Italy in 1970 is a treat. Carlos Alberto's goal (not just the finish, the whole build-up to it) for me is the best moment in football history, the greatest goal. And this was not against a team of mugs; Italy had greats such as Rivera, Mazzola, Riva, Facchetti.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nobody here seen the 1970 final? Assuming this thread is not just about finals you saw live.

Brazil vs Italy in 1970 is a treat. Carlos Alberto's goal (not just the finish, the whole build-up to it) for me is the best moment in football history, the greatest goal. And this was not against a team of mugs; Italy had greats such as Rivera, Mazzola, Riva, Facchetti.
well I think it's different though if you watch it decades later...the experience can't be the same

although I'm not sure if I've actually ever watched 1970 or any other old final in full length

·
inbred amoeba
3,666 Posts
BB much older than I thought lol.
I am old, yes. For some weird reason the first ever match I remember watching on TV was the 3rd place game between Brazil and Poland at the 1974 WC. I was really envious of the Poles winning that bronze and cried (see, T-Lions' strings attached since early age).

·
Registered
44,288 Posts
2010 Final was bad but it probably seems a lot worse because the entire tournament was ass/shite/hot garbage.

We'll always remember the vuvuzelas and insects on the camera lens, forcing a switch to another camera.

The crowning feature was of course the Jabulani...which made cross-field passes tough to complete because of the ridiculous flight of the ball.

·
Administrator
30,028 Posts
The main problem of that final, was Webb letting the dutches to thug the midgets. If they already had the tendencies to side pass before building any scoring chances, they got even more intimidated. Had Webb rightfully red carded De Jong, the final could end more entertaining, one-sided game.

of the old finals, 1970 and 1958 are great games. Despite the score, 1970 wasn't an walk in the park, Brazil had to waste Italy piece by piece before finishing them. While it is true watching life is more emotional (in 1986, my father took us to a restaurant and he managed to meet first the argies that lived in our previous bulding near and then a german family he worked with years before on the other side, so it was funny), it may change some games. 1974 final for example, you can see better the clear style difference, Cruyfft and Beckenbauer work and Maier heroics. It was a great game.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts

Conventional wisdom says Italy were physically and mentally jaded after the famous semi against West Germany, though.

I dont think I ever watched the whole game.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts