Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a nice article about him ... I happen to agree :)

The Claudio Ranieri Fan Club

Don't forget that if you have something to say on any footballing subject then we want to hear from you at [email protected]. But please remember to include where you come from and what team you support.

Also, you can participate in the Football365 Discussion Forum by clicking here.

Realistic Ranieri Should Be Given Time
I feel that Mr Ranieri is simply being realistic - only the unpredictable is predictable in modern football. Players and managers alike are subject to the capricious whims of chairmen and the media.

I don't blame rival fans for using the amount of money spent for a bit of banter, that we're 'buying' the title, and can't even manage that - probably a line I'd use myself if Arsenal or ManYoo had invested a similar amount. But that is just banter, and in their more lucid moments however, all my friends (whatever club they support) freely admit that no-one can expect miracles in one season no matter how much money is spent.

The general concensus is that Mr Ranieri is a good manager and should be given the time to achieve something with the squad he's building.

The fans know this, and I would imagine that the press knows this - but that doesn't write stories and doesn't sell copies. I can't help feeling that most of the pressure is a media-inspired creation, if Abramovich wanted immediate success, Chelsea would have bought differently.

Many of the players were bought with the future in mind - as great as Cole, Duff, Bridge, Johnson, Mutu and Geremi are, only three established 'world stars' were bought - Veron, Crespo and Makelele.

If Ranieri wan't going to be given the time for these future stars to develop, would Abramovich have financed their purchase? I think not.

You could argue that he's thinking long-term with Chelsea, but that doesn't mean that includes the manager, but I hope Ranieri stays. If he was replaced, I wouldn't want Sven-Goran 'let's play Heskey' Eriksson regardless.
Adam, currently in Oz

...Of course Ranieri is right; football becomes more and more like American sports every day, wherein mere domestic success is never enough: a team must become a dynasty (think ManU/Yankees, Real/Lakers). Loyalty in its least complex form is appreciated it seems solely by the fans; they are the first to suffer under the hysterical, hand-rubbing greed rampant in the Chelsea boardroom; the fans will suffer because, withstanding the Champions League title, Ranieri will surely go (and go, surely, to tinker at a much more grounded club).

What is criminally unfair is that this is the man who last year made good players into a very good team and was not given time enough to tinker further. One or two of the giants since drafted in (say Duff and Mutu) would have added spark to what appeared at least to this neutral to be a solid, spirited squad, not unlike the squads ManU and Arsenal themselves.

And in any sport, squads don't happen overnight, they are crafted and, ironically, tinkered with: to wit; were the likes of Melchiot, Babayaro and Gronkjaer so immeasurably inferior to Bridge, Johnson and Cole (for example)?

Granted, no-one would turn their noses up at the laundry list of superstars that since have tottered through the Bridge, but you wonder how much influence Ranieri actually had since the arrival of uber-billionaire Abramovich. This is the team that he built, trained and sweated with month after month for years before anyone east of Putney Bridge gave a monkey's.

More to the point, if the Chelsea board keep buying players of the highest quality in such staggering numbers, then either they'll need a much bigger pitch or a rulebook on American Football.

Whichever team picks up the dumped, humble Italian will be the ultimate winner. If he's given half as much breathing space as the likes of Houillier, who knows what the man can do?
Davidson, NY

...As a Chelsea fan, I want to make a heartfelt plea to Abramovich and Kenyon (both avid fans of the site, or so I'm told) NOT to fire Ranieri. If at the end of the season we haven't won the Premiership and Champions League, so what?

Every manager needs his time, all the players respect Ranieri, and by losing him, it will put Chelsea's progress back two years as Sven will have to earn the respect of the players, get to know each one individually, learn their strengths and weaknesses, and then get them all to play well in a certain formation - all of which Ranieri has done or is doing at the moment.

Besides, tactically, and with regards to man/press management, I believe Claudio is a much more astute manager - anyone remember the World Cup, down 2-1 to Brazil - any tactical change to try and claw us back into the match and the semis? Or did Sven sit on the sideline like a bloody lemon? Which manager seems to have a better relationship with his players, and certainly with the media?

Maybe it's Sven's ineptitude to make decent managerial decisions with England that has led him to try and find a nicely paid job down in SW6.

One good result in Sven's reign (what a result) but since then he hasn't done anything special with the team, so if Sven does replace Ranieri, lets make it a two-way switch, and watch England play beautiful passing football.
Stephen McLaren

...Stick with Claudio - Chelsea do not need Sven. Claudio has shown a lot of class and humility during his managerial stay in England. Chelea are doing great. The improvement in Claudio's command of the English language is a measure of the man.

As an English guy following soccer from Canada (although I've just spent the last three months in the UK) I believe that some of the best managers come from Italy. Three of last year's semi-finalists in the European Cup came from Italy.
Richard Shaw, Campbell River, BC, Canada

...I understand what Claudio Ranieri is saying. It seems a little odd that Chelsea assume that spending millions of pounds guarentees silverware. Arsenal and Manchester United have spent a fortune over a few years and established a squad. These people are experienced campaigners.

Arsenal have not lost a game because they have a squad where they know each other, they've been there, they've done that. Of course Thierry Henry wants to stay at Arsenal. They have a proven track record!

When Claude Makelele says he joined for the money, you can understand Thierry's thinking (Makaelele is not the only one, let's be honest here). Buying whoever is available over a six-month period does not mean you have the squad to win anything by default. Not this year at least. It will take time.

Surely Chelsea do not expect because they spend more than the whole of Western Europe put together in a few months that they are expected success? Ranieri will go, which I think will be a shame, because he is a very good manager. Who will they get to replace him? Are Chelsea saying that their money should automatically buy success? Peter Kenyon's words say they should. Both ManYoo and Arsenal didn't. And still don't.
James Allen, fan of a club who have won the European Cup more times than Barcelona, Arsenal and Chelsea put together, but now can't compete with the likes of Walsall or Rotherham

...Take him or leave him, what's the point of replacing a coach that has taken his team to third place, 12 points clear of fourth and everything to play for? Claudio has done a fantastic job of tinkering and lets face it, not even unlimited transfers in fantasy football can do you any good.

I should know, I'm bottom of the league.
Ash Yarlett, Chelsea

·
Registered
11 Posts
and if raneiri leaves i would love to see del bosque in chelsea but if he isnt available and raneiri is sacked then the guy that i think of is hector cuper.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Adrian Mutu7 said:
and if raneiri leaves i would love to see del bosque in chelsea but if he isnt available and raneiri is sacked then the guy that i think of is hector cuper.
CUPER??? No way!

Keep that Bozo away from Chelsea!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Im so happy Ranieri have the support from the fans. He is a great manager and i believe he will take Chelsea to a Greater heights.:)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Without a doubt, the greatest manager in terms of giving interview. :thumbsup:

Of course Ranieri should be given time. This is not a CM game, it takes a season or perhaps 2 to win something when you have a brand new team. :) What Chelsea should do is to stop buying and implement some continuity if they wanna win ASAP. Although the central defence can still be improved IMO. :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I think our defense is good, although we might need another bruiser like Ayala. Terry and Gallas are world class centre backs.. Huth will also become world class IMO :).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually Ranieri just needs to have the right idea for the midfield .. with Duff or without him ..

Ideas:

1. Substituting Makelele when Chelsea needs more attacking options.

2. Maybe a three man defence with Maka in front of it is just what Chelsea needs. That will allow one more central midfielder with attacking skills.

We'll see what he does when Veron and Duff will return. Actually I think Veron is just what this team needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts