Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The former Chelsea coach is expected to take over at the Olimpico next season.

Claudio Ranieri is the most likely candidate to become the new Roma coach as he overtook Cosmi and Zeman in the race for the sought after post. Ranieri is seen as the ideal candidate thanks to his Roman roots and also because he never hid the fact that he is a big Giallorosso fan.

The ‘Tinker Man’ has admitted he would welcome a move back to Italy after bittersweet experiences in England and Spain, and Roma would be the ideal place to re-start his Italian adventure.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd prefer some of the other options that have been mentioned, but Ranieri could be interesting too. i just hope he wouldn't try to sign Corradi again though :groan:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I'm not keen on this at all. He hasn't got the authority needed. I'm also wondering if Serse would come out as a buddy to the players, rather than a authority.. Anyone?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
How is this guy come across when he speaks Italian? Man this guy gave me many laughs over the years.

His interviews were even more entertaining than Mourinho's but in a different way.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Faisal said:
His interviews were even more entertaining than Mourinho's but in a different way.
Hehehe...is there any websites with Ranierisms, like there are about a thousand of sites collecting various Strachan quotes?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The Best Ever Quotes Of 'Bad Tinkerman'

And there are some absolute beauties - including The Zoo Series, the Mary Poppins outburst, the 'Dead Man Walking - Scottish' train of thought and lots more from the man who will be sorely missed...

"If it is the case that you need just a first 11 and three or four more players, then why did Christopher Columbus sail to India to discover America?" - Why indeed?

"Football managers are like a parachutist. At times it doesn't open. Here, it is an umbrella. You understand, Mary Poppins?" - Nope. No. Not at all. Sorry Dick.

"Damien is Damien. When I don't put him in the squad my mother, who's 84, asks 'why isn't Damien playing?' She kills me about it and that's true" - Mrs Ranieri has a thing for little Irish men.

"My only technical adviser is my mother. When I told her that Damien had injured his shoulder again, she said 'oh no!' Who should replace him? I will call her before the game to ask." - This is getting worrying.

"He's a crazy man" - Ranieri on Ranieri.

"They showed good stamina and good vitamins" - The Arsenal win explained.

"Before you kill me, you call me the 'dead man walking'. I must buy you an espresso. But only a little one - I am Scottish!"

"Two years ago I watched Carlton play for the reserves and I saw two animals in him - one was a rabbit and the other a lion. I want to see that lion come out in him more often" - Ranieri on Carlton Cole.

"He is my new little lion. And I like lions" - Ranieri on Hernan Crespo.

"He is like a shark, like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink" - Ranieri on Mutu. But then...

"I once said Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is like a shark and Carlton Cole like a lion. Well, Adrian Mutu is another born predator. In fact, Mutu is like a snake" - Ranieri changes his mind and completes his zoo.

"I am happy when our fans are happy, when our players are happy and our chairman is on the moon" - Well, when your chairman's Ken Bates...

"One coach was training a player's hair, and another was training another part of his body" - Now that's what we call the personal touch.

"One beautiful day, a radiant day, Mr Abramovich introduced himself to me and said I should put a shopping list together" - Claudio Ranieri. Poet.

"When I talk to the players I speak first of all in English, then I say 'sorry, now I will speak in Spanish, or Italian. Then on the touchline I speak another language so the other manager doesn't understand what I am saying!" - Explaining it all.

"When are you coming, Sven?" - Ranieri's words of greeting to Sven when the two met at Highbury last season.

"I can't change now. I'm like Frank Sinatra - I always do it my way. I told the players everything I did in the Monaco game was wrong. I changed things to win the match - but we lost and I was thinking "Oh f*** Claudio, why, why? Bad Tinkerman!"

"I think Veron is the best midfielder in the world" - The funniest of the lot.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I like Ranieri very much quite a good coach and one who Roma could benefit from,seems to gain alot of respect from the players.I thought Prandelli or Cosmi would be more first choices,but I had an idea what about Guidolin a coach who doesn't seem appreciated by president Zamparini.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Cacìni said:
Hehehe...is there any websites with Ranierisms, like there are about a thousand of sites collecting various Strachan quotes?
One of the best I've read is a collection of Sacchi quotes :D. Unfortunately they're in a magazine somewhere around my place, but I'll just have to find it again one day :thumbsup:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Maybe he would be right for Roma. At least the post game shows would be more interesting with those quotes :D

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
:D
But seriously, no, not in a million years, he's one of the last people i'd like to see put in charge,.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
romafan53 said:
:D
But seriously, no, not in a million years, he's one of the last people i'd like to see put in charge,.
Totally agree.You just know that he has not got it.I would much rather see Prandelli or Zeman,both because they would know how to bring the best out of our players.As for Ranieri,he would bench or substitute them,and this would cause all sorts of outbursts from the players.Anyhow,just like Del Neri,he is coming from a nightmare experience from his last coaching job.So much for players to look up at you. :nono:

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Judging from the posts in this thread you'd think Ranieri was plague personified...Was this not the man who played a CL semifinal last year, and only lost out to the Premiership title due to a extreme Arsenal side?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Ranieri isn't that bad, I rate him better than Voeller and like you said he along with some bad times he has had some good times and respectable results in his career.

But can he handle the players? Anyway if all the reports are true he won't have many big egos to handle and the team will be humbled somewhat.

I don't know what to think about him becoming the manager, I wouldn't be against it because its not like Conti is anywhere near as proven, but I wouldn't be too excited about it either.

Whoever it is just give them a bloody preseason and patience to build a decent team.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Well, he ain't the plauge, but i'd take one of Zeman, Prandelli, Spaletti or virtually any of the other managers tipped to come next season, any day of the week over him. It was painful to watch Valencia this year, he turned them from entertaining, potential contenders, into an uber-defensive, dull, mid-table side. His tactics never cease to amaze me, he changes his side every week, brings off his best players at incredibly curious times, and he manages to have a beef with almost every star player at every club he's been at. His dropping of Aimar, because of his apparent "fragility", this season was criminal, absolutely criminal. And how he managed to get that fantastic Atletico side relegated...baffling. He's just not the man for the job, IMO.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
On potential coaches for next season, i'd love to see Hiddink come, really a fantastic manager. Never gonna happen though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts