1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
courtesy of SkySports/PlanetFootball

Gers trial duo
by Graeme Bailey - Last Updated 22 Nov 2004

Rangers have confirmed that they have taken Manchester United starlet Bojan Djordjic and young Finn Jukka Santala on trial.

Djordjic, 22, is out of contract at the end of the season as his time at Old Trafford appears to be coming to an end.

Djordjic arrived from Brommapojkarna in 1999, but he has only ever managed two first team appearances for The Red Devils.

He has also spent time on loan at Aarhus, Sheffield Wednesday and Crvena Zvezda over the past few seasons.

The nationalised Swede is now due to spend time on trial at Rangers with a view to a permanent move in January.

Santala arrives at Rangers from HJK Helsinki.

The 19-year-old is out of contract and The Gers will assess him over the coming week.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been speaking to a Man Utd supporting mate who catches most of their reserve games, he reckons unfortunately that Djordjic is nothing special. Nevertheless he spent last season on loan @ Red-Star and apparently impressed. Maybe our Serbian friends can tell us more? If he signs he will link up with Dragan once more.

Santala is a big 6ft4 centre half apparently.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
As I said on the 'Transfers & Rumours' thread ;) i'm pretty wary of taking Man U cast-offs just now. If the guy can't get anywhere near THAT midfield his ability has to be questioned. I wouldn't even touch Fletcher with a barge-pole and he gets the odd game for United.

Santala would presumably be more of a future prospect than an immediate contender for a first-team place, especially the way that big B.A. have been playing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A couple of Utd fans I have spoken to rate this guy very highly. They have been saying some good stuff and may be the flair we need.

If its a free and with cheap wages, then there is little to lose.

Lets see how Eck feels after this week. We could seriously do with a flair mid, as Namouchi seems to be all we have in the centre flairwise.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Actually I don't think Djordjic really impressed at Zvezda. He was touted as a big signing, but at one point didn't even start matches. Perhaps the coach (Muslin) was reluctant to use a player that was only there for a one-season loan, but even in his appearances he wasn't amazing (and it's not hard to stand out in Zvezda, as they are a collection of mostly average or inexperienced players). Mladenovic was the man at Zvezda - their only creative (and worthwhile) midfielder last season. The rest of the midfield in that team were walking posts.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Muslin didn't like him, and seen him as a luxury. Djordjic simply didn't work hard enough for the side but the few games I have seen him he played well. Instead Muslin preferred a kid called Marko Perovic who is physically very quick and works tirelessly in midfield. Djordjic has the talent to become a good player but whether he has the mentality and/or work rate to fulfill his potential is debatable.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I hear we're signing Djordjic in January after he impressed in training. I read he was voted Player's player of the year in his stint at Red Star, which doesn't exactly go with what the guys were saying above. I think McLeish has another couple of players in mind as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, is good that Eck has had a look first and likes what he has seen. We are getting him for nothing and we can do with another midfielder. Unfortunately, I am worried this could be the beginning of the end for wee Hughes. Hope I am wrong, I just have a bad feeling.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Call me cold-hearted, but I have never rated Stephen Hughes. Of course I wanted him to succeed because he's a local guy, but I don't think he'll ever be Rangers class. I'm sure he'll do alright at another SPL club though.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I had high hopes for Hughes but he just hasn't developed much since his initial breakthrough (probably due to injuries). Hopefully it's not too late though, he still shows flashes of what he can do on occassion - like the cross for Novo v Hearts.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
For me the problem with Hughes is not with the ball at his feet but when he doesn't have the ball. I can't knock his effort but he is too easily brushed aside. He needs to eat some of what Namouchi's been eating because he was as much of a rake as Hughes last season but has suddenly appeared as a bit of a tank.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree with that Chivo. He is too lightweight for SPL football right now. Barry ferguyson is a similar size, but he built himself up and was very stong by the time he left us.

I rate him as a fantastic talent, but if he would just get a bit of strength I could see him becoming a great player for us. I know the youth coaches regarded him as a better player than Ferguson at that age, but he has stalled the last year or two.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Even if you look at someone like Pearson you can see that you don't need a big built to be strong. Some guys just can't buid big muscles no matter how hard they exercise but strength is something evey player can work on. On too many occassions I've seen opposing played run through him like he is not there and that's something Rangers cannot afford in midfield if they continue to play with wingers in a 4-4-2.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That reminds me, who the hell was that Steven Smith guy from the weekend? He looked a cracking wee player. Hopefully we can get shot of Vanoli now and with Ball moving on, he may be like Hutton - a good young back up full back.

Had any of you lads heard of him before Sunday? Or am I totally out of touch with our youth team?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
he was about the make a breakthrough to the first team squad about a year ago (maybe a bit longer) but then he got a serious injury and it's only quite recently that he has returned to full training and the under 21s. Don't know much else about him though.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I thought I new about the majority of the emerging talent looking to break through into the senior team but I hadn't heard of him either. I was in the pub on Sunday and when someone told me Smith came on as a sub for Rangers I assumed it was the keeper. My dad was at the game and said he's a small guy but looked quite good. I'm a big fan of Hutton so if he is a full is anything like him I'll be well pleased.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I hear we're signing Djordjic in January after he impressed in training. I read he was voted Player's player of the year in his stint at Red Star, which doesn't exactly go with what the guys were saying above.
He wasn't, I doubt he started more than 5 matches total. He did score one hell of a lob against Odense at home, sheer genius.

Anyway, I never agreed with our coach on benching the guy, he probably didn't want to have to take away a firstteam spot from one of our other youngsters like Dusan said since it was our chairman who brought in Djordjic on his own.

Hope he signs for you and gets his career back on track, I remember he scored a screamer against Celtic a couple of years back when Man Utd played them in a friendly. That's at least positive right? :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Drulo said:
Hope he signs for you and gets his career back on track, I remember he scored a screamer against Celtic a couple of years back when Man Utd played them in a friendly. That's at least positive right? :D
I'd say that makes him a fans favourite already. :)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Drulo said:
He wasn't, I doubt he started more than 5 matches total. He did score one hell of a lob against Odense at home, sheer genius.

Anyway, I never agreed with our coach on benching the guy, he probably didn't want to have to take away a firstteam spot from one of our other youngsters like Dusan said since it was our chairman who brought in Djordjic on his own.

To be honest, I thought it was more likely you guys knew what you were talking about than the Evening Times. What do these damn journalists get paid for? Someone want to pay me to make stuff up all day?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
According to the official site Djordjic scored a hat-trick in a bounce game and has been impressing coaching staff. Since he is left-sided he really must be a better alternative to Lovenkrands so I hope they do take him on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts