·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raghav; Finally he's broken the mainstream

“Raghav’s story doesn’t need sexing up”
The Times​

Biography
Raghav Mathur, born and bred in Canada started singing at the age of five when an old hindi tape got stuck in the cassette player of the family car. Continuous repitition of the same song allowed Raghav to memorise the track. When his aunt asked his mum what Raghav does, his mother inevitably replied 'nothing', Raghav decided to showcase his talent by singing the very song that kept repeating in the car. Since then, Raghav's parents supported his dreams to be a musician. A follower of Hindu religion, Raghav has a quiet, sociable, intelligent and vibrant personality. The tri-lingual (English, Hindi, French) Canadian started to sing Indian classical music at his local temple and in school performed at local choirs. So talented was this young starlet, his studies were accompanied with National Canadian and International European tours. At the age of 15, music became a heavy feature in his life and alongside the Indian influences at home, became heavily influenced by R&B. By the time he was 16, he wrote a song that was deemed good enough to be awarded the National Songwriters Asssociation of America. So apparent was Raghav's talent, he started to recieve scholorships from music schools accross the breadth of the United States, before finally deciding at 17 to move to Los Angeles to develop his vocal skills by Seth Riggs who has trained, amongst others, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. A year later he moved to Liverpool, England where he studied at the Institute of Performing Arts and working with diverse musicians, djs and producers, fine honing his own sound. During his time in college he joined R&B band 11/7 which was nominated for a Mobo for best unsigned artist. 11/7 did not win, but the nomination was enough to bring Raghav a communal heads up from the watching music types and led to a solo management deal and an introduction to the highly influential Sly & Robbie and British R&B producer Mushtaq. It was time to launch his career.

Musical Career
After signing for A&R Records, he was still working with influential DJ and Producer 2Play. This lead to the production of two records; 'It can't be right' and 'So Confused'. Produced by 2Play, written by Raghav, the tracks would cause an outstanding level of popularity. After spending weeks in the studio, 'So Confused' was finally released, although only reaching number 8 in the British charts, its mass popularity exists even today. The track is still big on the club scene. After the success of 'So Confused' Raghav followed with a track released under his own name called 'Can't Get Enough', once again entering the top ten. No time was wasted as soon enough, another collaboration with 2Play followed, this time releasing the 'It Can't Be Right' song. It turned out to be another top ten hit. Raghav released one more track under his name, 'Let's Work It Out', before the album dropped on the shelves. Raghav's 'Storyteller' album has officially sold approximately 1.5 million albums worldwide. His final release off the album was 'Angel Eyes', inspired by a well known tune called 'Murder She Wrote', a track which ensured his popularity and status as a recognised vocalist. His popularity globally has gone beyond imagination. Arguably India's biggest star, his worldwide tour of 2005 saw him perform in places like Kirachi, New York amongst other parts of the world such as Africa, Australia, Canada, and many other places with crowds reaching up to as high as 35000. Following the success of 2004 and 2005, Raghav has near completed his second album, the start of 2006 expeccts Raghav to re-emerge and solidify his rise in the music industry. Big things are expected of him in the next few months...

Awards

1997 National Songwriters Association of America Award

2004 MOBO Award; Best Collaboration

2004 Asian Achievers Award

2005 Urban Music Award; Best Chart Act

2005 UK Asian Music Awards; Best Newcomer

2005 UK Asain Music Awards; Best Single

2005 Southern Asain Music Awards; Best Artist

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
GaGa said:
he's having his 15 minutes...;)
:D

Very true.

He's another cráppy pop act.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that's not true, even though I wasn't impressed with his latest tune, his past three songs were very catchy and more R&B/Hindi rather than 'pop'. The last song however wasn't good enough...

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Firenze said:
I hope that's not true, even though I wasn't impressed with his latest tune, his past three songs were very catchy and more R&B/Hindi rather than 'pop'. The last song however wasn't good enough...
Hmm...that says it all really past 3 tunes the record company are milking his 15 minutes of fame dry...much like Sean Paul who was banging tunes out left, right and centre, he is gone and when he returns people who liked his early stuff will be fed up and lose interest...like they did with Craig David and every other singer before that.

And that's what pop is all about, pop you have your time and your gone the next...unless your Madonna ofcourse and you find new ways to branch out and get people interested in your work with consistency.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Good post man. I think this muppet "Raghav" has no talent at all. He is only being pushed by the industry because for a while people were saying Indian stuff was in.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GaGa said:
much like Sean Paul who was banging tunes out left, right and Craig David and every other singer before that.
What on earth are you talking about?!

These are sucessful accomplished, sucessful artists.

Sean Paul has had a very successful first album, he'll be back for the next.

Craig David had a very successful fist album. Then went quiet. Then he came back and had success with his second album.

All artists do this, they need time to complile the next album, that's why they go quiet. I'm not a big fan of Sean Paul. But he'll come back big.

However to come back big, you have to make it big the first time you step on stage. I just don't know if he (Raghav) has that...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Pop puppets is all they are. They'll milk it for as much as they can. Sean Paul will not come back bigger. He will fade away.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Not really guys. If you took at closer look you'd have noticed that her album isn't actually doing that well compared to her others. If u compare that the sales of her first albumswhich sold well over 13 million in the states, the second sold nearly 10 so far. Her third sold only 4 million in the USA and at the moment her latest album has barely sold over 2 million in the USA. She's fading away, and she's desperately trying to get media attention. The fact is her music is cráp, even people who listen only to pop can see that. She hasn't got any real musical talent. She could get lucky like Madonna and find some good producer orr songwriter by chance, that's the only way I can see her sustaining a career.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well it did do ok the UK, but that's becoz it was bought to Number1. If you look at any time an recognised artist or band release the first new single from an album in the UK a lot of the time it goes to number 1. This is because the record label buys it to number 1 so they can then say, the sell the album with the number one single " whatever ".

Britney is doing ok, she's still successful, but no where near as big as she used to. They pretend that by breaking away from the cute image that they took a risk and it worked out. Búllshít! Both Cristina Aguilera and Britney's sales are no were near what they were when they released their first albums with the girl next door image. They are making more money now though because of touring and commercial deals.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Interview

Interview With Raghav

Asians making it big in the music scene continues to be a hot topic of conversation, and next week will see the arrival of a newcomer who promises to make things a lot more interesting.

Raghav, as he simply likes to call himself, will be seen singing on the single 'So Confused' by 2 Play to be released on the 12th of January. Out on Inferno Records, produced by Wessley from 2 Play and featuring MC Jucxi D, the much anticipated release should give him enough significant publicity. That in turn would be useful for his debut single 'Can't Get Enough' next month. Already 'So Confused' has been getting significant airplay on Kiss and Radio 1, in addition to MTV and other music TV channels.

The 22 year old Canadian began his musical training at the tender age of five. He started studying classical Indian music with Guru Nishi Kant Bali and within a year, he was performing in shows in Canada. Raghav's talent also includes the fact that he is in fact tri-lingual; he can sing in Hindi, French and English. In 1998, he won an award for top original song as voted for by the National Songwriters Association of America, and established himself as a prolific songwriter.

He then moved to England to study at Paul McCartney's Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA). For the past 3 years he has has commuted to work in the UK collaborating with some top up and coming and established producers.

On 16th February Raghav will be releasing Can't Get Enough, which will be the first release for the Canadian singer-songwriter. It's produced by Mushtaq, who himself is tipped as one of 2004's hottest R&B producers and previously did Hill Street Soul's remix of 'All that'. Other producers on his debut album will include the famous reggae duo Sly&Robbie.

I'm sitting in a café with newest Asian music sensation, Raghav Mathur, or just Raghav as he calls himself. We’re opposite Radio 1’s offices in central London where just a few minutes ago I met them coming out of the recording studios. We're being filmed for a BBC documentary where the two DJs interview the singer from Canada.

Go back a few months and you would be guaranteed that most people, even Asians, hadn’t even heard of Raghav. The huge success of ‘So Confused’ propelled him into the national conciousness in a way many music artists would give their right arm for. And now his debut single ‘Can’t get enough’ is released today, no doubt propelling his pop career further.

One of the first things that springs to mind when talking to Raghav is that he has a Canadian accent.

So why exactly did he launch his debut single here instead of North America?

"I was already in the UK, before I launched my career here. I studied at LIPA (Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts) for a few years. Besides, you know the UK is a good base because it’s at the forefront for fusion music. The UK has done so much for me in finding myself… musically you know. I like it here."

In that sense, his move makes perfect sense. Britain has traditionally been seen at the fore-front of more urban Asian music, with a more dynamic Asian music industry than even that of the United States.

The debut single
"Yeah there is a story behind 'Can’t Get Enough'. It's set in my high school years, and is directed at this girl I was feenin’ at the time. I met her at the library and she gave me her number which I called and left a message. But she didn’t call back till 2 weeks later because she had some problems with her phone or something. During that two week period I wanted to let her know I couldn’t get enough of her, and this track is basically about my feelings during that time."

And did he get anywhere with her? “Yeah we went out for three years”, he says with a glint in his eye.

Raghav is visibly excited about the release of the upcoming debut single. He says the single epitomises his "musicality". "It is definitive in the way I am and what I like", he says. "It brings together my music tastes and influences such as Hip hop, R’n’B, Bollywood and soul music".

The song itself was written about 3 years ago, and he’s happy that it has progressed to finally being a commercial release. "Can’t Get Enough is just the beginning of what I’m planning to start. It’s the beginning of a journey, and there’s a lot more to come", he says with assurance.

Talking about Bollywood isn’t something Raghav shies away from. In fact, when he answers a call from Just 17 magazine during this interview, for their own interview, he answers by singing lyrics from a Bollywood song. The upcoming single itself contains a few hindi verses, which will possibly be the first time a Hindi singing artist might reach the UK top ten under their own name.

Would he consider becoming a Bollywood actor? "The part has to be right. I have to be comfortable that the part is right for me. One of my favourite actors is Naseeruddin Shah, who I respect because he chooses the right roles for him."

Some of the credit for Raghav’s rise goes to DJs Bobby and Nihal, who have been promoting the single on their show in the belief that the singer has the potential to break the mainstream. His manager Nyrone has also been quite savvy to hook him up with hot producers who have used Raghav’s talent to full effect. The upcoming album will have tracks produced not only by Mustaq, who worked with him on the single, but more well known names such as Incongnito, Sly & Robbie, Rudo productions, and more.

I ask Raghav why So Confused with 2 Play was released before his own. "It wasn’t supposed to be that way. But we recorded So Confused with Inferno records and they asked us to put my own debut single back. But I’m glad the way things have worked out. I sing on both tracks so it doesn’t really matter you know?”

How well does he think Can’t Get Enough will do? "You just put the music out and you don’t know how where it’s gonna chart. So I have no idea. But I didn’t believe So Confused was going to be in the top 10. I’m just happy there are people who support my music, which I love making more than anything else. Next we'll probably release another 2 Play track, and then maybe another single on my name before the album drops."

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Watch new single ...'angel eyes'!

The new single by Raghav "Angel Eyes" is being released on February 7th 2005. Following the success of So Confused and Lets Work it Out, this sets to go into the top ten charts.
Backed with a great package of remixes by the likes of Tigerstyle, The Kray Twinz and also the Klimax remix of Can't Get Enough amongst others.

YOU CAN WATCH ANGEL EYES by clicking on the following link.

The video was filmed in Barcelona so it is quite a pretty and dreamy video;

Enjoy!

http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/deliverMedia.asp?id=6215bb39-2446-4335-99ee-cdf567157155&delivery=stream

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Living in England, I hope he never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever hits the charts again.

One of the blokes from 2play, was at the club I was at New Years Eve, and he played their new track.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts