Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raffaele De Martino. Roma 18 yr old defensive centre-midfielder.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Petros said:
Raffaele De Martino. Roma 18 yr old defensive centre-midfielder.
If you don't write more than that I'm going to close this thread straight away. :thmbdown:

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol

Giallorossi youngster Raffaele De Martino has ‘disappeared’ amid reports he’s flown out for talks with Arsenal, while Francesco Totti has a new sponsor.

This week the Capital club has sliced chunks out of its squad with the news that Mido (Tottenham), Marco Delvecchio (Brescia), Luigi Sartor (Genoa), Gaetano D’Agostino (Messina) and Vincent Candela (Bolton) have all been sold.

D'Agostino won't join the Sicilian club until Monday, so he is part of the Roma squad set to face Messina on Sunday.

Candela reportedly terminated his contract late last night and flew out to Britain for negotiations, though so far Roma have only revealed that the Frenchman has been given permission to miss training.

That is not the case for Raffaele De Martino, who has seemingly gone AWOL from the youth team training camp.

The 18-year-old midfielder was complaining of stomach pains and headed back to Rome for tests, but according to reports he never showed up. There are suggestions he returned home for family reasons, but the Italian newspapers insist he has flown out to London.

“Raffaele called me last night and assured me he is still in the Peninsula,” revealed agent Giuseppe Galli. “He hasn’t signed anything yet, but there are negotiations in place with the English clubs.”

De Martino has already featured in Serie A and the Champions’ League for the Giallorossi this season, but is not yet tied to a professional contract.

It’s claimed that Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham and Glasgow Rangers are all interested in taking him on for a new start in Britain.

“Roma had been warned about this situation,” added Galli. “Once the English sides discovered he was effectively a free agent, they went straight to De Martino’s father and he called him home to discuss an important career opportunity.”

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, that was two days ago. this is today

Gigi Del Neri is fuming at Raffaele De Martino running away from Roma to negotiate with Arsenal and warned the club to make a stand.

“I can only hope he has the strength to make his own decisions,” said the Coach. “It’s a shame to see an 18-year-old lad who should be growing up with different values. The club must make an example of him.”

De Martino has already played for the Giallorossi in Serie A and the Champions’ League this season, but is not yet tied to a professional contract.

The midfielder left the youth team tournament at Viareggio this week, but never reached his destination, instead going back to his family in order to discuss terms with a number of Premiership sides including Arsenal.

“We offered De Martino a contract,” explained Roma director Daniele Prade’. “There is a significant difference between his requests and our proposal, as he wants more than double his wages. We consider our youth system to be a valuable asset, but there has to be a balance.”

This would not be the first time that Serie A sides have seen their youth products poached, as Parma also complained of Arsenal signing teenager Arturo Lupoli before they could put him under a professional contract.

“There is a certain age between the youth team and 18 years in which foreign clubs can effectively come in and register our players,” continued the Roma director. “Italian sides are unprotected and UEFA must do something about this.”

De Martino’s agent gives another angle to the scenario and claims it is purely a question of finances.

“The player is still in Italy, but he is in negotiations with an English club,” explained Giuseppe Galli. “Roma had been warned of overseas interest for De Martino.”

“We had asked for a three-year contract worth £62,000 per season and rising to £83,000 by the third year. Roma offered a five-year deal that started from £27,000 and rose to a maximum of £83,000. If he signs for a Premiership side, De Martino will immediately earn £173,000 per season net.”

This situation – and the departure of Vincent Candela, Mido, Marco Delvecchio and Gaetano D’Agostino – could distract Roma ahead of today’s clash with Messina. It’s a team they have already lost against once this year with a spectacular 4-3 scoreline.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
seriously, we have (flamini, cesc), 2 midfielders that are young and promising, 3promising full backs(clitchy, ebou, hoyte), we got 2 promising young wingers/forwards(reyes, vanpersie), a young striker ( lupoli) , 2 oung and Promising cb (TOURE, Sendo). i think theres no chance that were getting another young player. We are definetly going to have to be in the market for MATURE players.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And so its irrelevant how good this guy is?

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
well, if we get him, hes probably not gonna get first team football, since AW already has his eyes on cesc and flamini, after vieira and gilberto, and AW said he will sign an experienced player, so i dont think so.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Petros said:
And so its irrelevant how good this guy is?
If he's so good then why have the Roma fans - better judges of him than you definitely are - said he was mediocre? Or don't they know anything about football either since really you're the only person alive who's worked out the ins and outs of football?

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wenger says a lot of things. This boy will probably play above flamini and cesc.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
khimik said:
If he's so good then why have the Roma fans - better judges of him than you definitely are - said he was mediocre? Or don't they know anything about football either since really you're the only person alive who's worked out the ins and outs of football?
Did i ever say he was really good? read my posts. i do not know much about him, but of what i've seen he is vry good.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Petros said:
Did i ever say he was really good? read my posts. i do not know much about him, but of what i've seen he is vry good.
:howler:

The Roma fans, once again better judges of him than you are, have all said he's nothing special. I'd be inclined to agree with them over you.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wenger or stupid roma fans on a football forum?

hmmm, i think i know who the better judge is.....

that is ofcourse, if the stories are true.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Wenger's not some demigod that isn't capable of making mistakes. He makes them ALL THE TIME, in case you hadn't noticed.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
its impossible to judge...its not like he is dominating games for Roma...he is hardly getting a game andi dont see the primavera matches...would suck to lose him though...he is a Roman i believe

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Petros said:

hmmm, i think i know who the better judge is.....

that is ofcourse, if the stories are true.
Who made you judge?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't believe that I am stupid. De Martino doesn't seem to be anything special in an offensive sense. His tackling is good but I really don't think he is going to be some sort of amazing player that everyone will want in a couple of years. Of course he is young so who knows what he can do. I just hope Arsenal keeps its hands of any more Italian players.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Nice acquisition, but I'd still rather go for a more matured player. Especially bearing Arsenal-Bayern clash in mind.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Petros you ass dont judge a player you've never seen in your life. Wenger has done mistakes also in his career when signing footballers, or am I wrong with that?

The guy is just 18, I have only seen him a couple of times but currently he seems quite slow and doesnt have many ideas, yet as I have said before, he is regarded as one of the best youth midfielders in Italy so he must have something about him. Still if he left Roma I would not cry too much as we have bette youngsters than him at our disposal.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts