Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benitez joy at cash vow Mar 16 2006

EXCLUSIVE by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ has commited his future to Liverpool after being guaranteed significant funds to rebuild his squad this summer.

Benitez held crunch talks with the Anfield board earlier this week, when he was convinced he would be provided with the resources he needs to challenge Chelsea for the Premiership in the seasons ahead.

A one-year-extension to his current deal has been widely reported but not yet signed. But it would be a symbolic gesture which eradicates Liverpool's genuine fears of losing their manager.

Both Inter Milan and Real Madrid made direct contract with Benitez's representative during the last month, and as late as last weekend the Anfield boss was keeping his options open until he spoke to the Anfield hierarchy.

Liverpool's guarantees to Benitez show how seriously the club considered the threat of losing Benitez, but how much work they've done behind the scenes in the last few weeks to ensure the manager will have the funds he requires.

Benitez and his coaching team have now been reassured about the future of the club and a summer of turmoil has been avoided.

Liverpool are not in a position to announce full details of their financial plans yet, but they confirmed at last month's AGM progress was being made in their pursuit of investment.

The ECHO understands the club is extremely close to securing the multi-million pound deal it needs in order to safeguard the future of the Stanley Park project and provide a transfer kitty for the manage
r.

They've been told a £10m grant from the North West Development Agency to regenerate the area around a new stadium will be withdrawn if Liverpool don't prove they have the private capital to pay for the £160m venue

there is so much in that to talk about I just don't know where to start ,from the liverpool echo newspaper written by liverpool's chief liverpool reporter.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
:eekani: this can be great news, the board have realised that we cannot afford to take a step back and that Rafa should be given better resources to really fulfil the ambitions everyone corned with Liverpool FC wants. Hopefully its a significant amount of investment which allows for us to really kick on. :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eithe moores is really going dip into his own pocket or liverpool have an investor from somwhere .

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arfy05 said:
plus the echo don't usually run a story unless they know something or have very strong sources close to the story, hopefully this is the case.
exactly 'the echo understands' they don't say that often without being right ,or they'll look like a bunch of morons.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Plus we know the Echo don't talk cock and bull because most the stuff they produce is for local audience, if you feed them crap (a la a few national newspapers) :yuck: they'll boycott. like i say right now we are in dark light but hopefully this materialises and the money if any is used CORRECTLY

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what concerned me was rafa

either rafa was playing games with the board to get them to pull their finger out or he has actually seriously been considering his future .

it seems he has been approached by 2 clubs or at least his agent has ,rafa told the board and has set out who he wants to buy and that it was non negiotable basically ,if he's done that we have to give credit ,he might finally be able to take us to the next stage that we should have gone under houllier untill he went mad and bought diouf ,cheyrou and diao.

another thing about rafa is his absolute lack of letting emotion cloud his judgement ,I never got the impression when houllier was at liverpool that he would ever leave unless he got sacked that is what happened .Benitez on the other hand doesn't ahve the same attachment and will keep everyone on their toes ,he won't wait to get sacked he will leave of his own accord one day I have no doubt about that one.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only names I have heard linked with liverpool are kraft and that seems dead ,steven morgan and some indian fella called mittel very rich and made his money from steel ,although thats from koptalk and probably a load of bollocks.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Lahkshmi Mittel (sp?) is the richest man living in the UK, world's 3rd richest man i think, his daughter got married on a 5 day event costing him a mighty £60m :eekani:. he made his money from steel as liver bird said ;)

if he invested it would be one mighty coup, a mighty coup. especially if his cheque book is open :D.

but then it was all ruined when i heard koptalk said it :depress:

no way do i want morgan, this guy wants hostility and to take us over on the cheap :frustrat:, plus he always wants confrontation and does not see eye to eye with Parry or Moores, not what we need.

Kraft talk has gone quuiet, but a few people one in particular who has met Kraft has told me this guy is serious and really commited and passionate about anything he invests in.

The Rafa thing i find a bit suprising, i dont tihnk he'd go as far as an ultimatum, simply because i believe he knows the liberties and the resources we provide is ideal for him and not something he'd get at Inter or Madrid. they have more money but they also take political control and managers are only coaches at those clubs, something which benitez found frustrating at valencia, even after taking them to glory :).

I think he did the right thing in pushing the board into finding funds, the one thing this club has been doing for recently for a lot of years is be a lot lazy and not push the extra mile nad really kick on, Benitez knows that if he has the money and he can get it right in terms of transfers we can find our touch again and start to kick on and shift the extra gears we need to really challenge. Shankly forced the board into corners they never liked and it worked, im not saying this is what will happen this time round but its nice that Benitez is leading the way and telling the board to match there ambitions with the money and resources to achieve those ambitions. :D

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some bits from Bascombes match report

"What a difference a week, five goals, a dodgy defence, and a few financial guarantees make."

"A week ago, Benitez looked around Anfield and worried if also-ran status would have to be the height of the club's ambition, not just this season, but for years to come.
When Rick Parry hands him a pen in the imminent future and says 'sign here', he'll not only eradicate those fears, but confirm stage two of the Rafalution is just a matter of weeks away."

also graham beacroft who works on talksport and used to do commentary in liverpool said he had heard from some 'sources' apparently ,something was happening on the stadium,investment front the other day .

so combine all this with rafa signing a one years extension (which came out of the blue) and a contract which not only gives him a pay rise and replaces his present contract but he also gets financial guarantees for spending in the summer .

I would rather its moores funding the spending himself rather than an outside but we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
i think moores has done a lot and has never been tight with money, maybe he can dip into his own pocket but i dont mind where the investment comes from as long as the investor is ambitious, pays a huge sum of mney into the club and doesnt demand anything in return besides on pitch success and financialy stability.

i hope that Rafa's contract is made longer until maybe 2012 and that he is given the money, it's interesting Parry has been travelling a lot recently with his visit to dirk kuyt and his search for investment :).

his interview was great, deserves its own thread :D

i think we also need to develop a clear and concise plan regarding The New Anfield and give ourseleves a imescale deadlnie to work towrads, heck we've got the site, the permission and the plans so work won't take that long to commence, just as long as we get the investment to help us also compete in the transfer windows aswell as financing our own stadium.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly think kuyt is a dead cert ,who'll join him is the biggest question for me anyway ,other people can believe what they want to believe.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
liver bird said:
I honestly think kuyt is a dead cert ,who'll join him is the biggest question for me anyway ,other people can believe what they want to believe.
:thumbsup:

I'm under the impression that a Kuyt deal is close, but so it was last season before we agreed the crouch deal, michael owen never happeneed and Cisse stayed, and we pushed for Simao so it was a bit complicated, hopefully we tie it up quick. Interesting thing Parry said, he said we wont use the world cup as our main source of scouting, which after the diouf deal and a few others i believe is a good stance on our behalf. :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
last summer got so complicated it was ridiculous ,owen just wasted out time in the end .

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
yeah the owen bonanza and the media circus it created did take a lot of time away from us on focussing on transfer deals, as did the Gerrard saga. Bt hopefully tihs summer is a lot better in that respect, the fact we're also not gonig far for pre-season may help in our quest for new players :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
apparently the story will be all over the tabloids tommorrow as well .

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
arfy05 said:
Lahkshmi Mittel (sp?) is the richest man living in the UK, world's 3rd richest man i think, his daughter got married on a 5 day event costing him a mighty £60m :eekani:. he made his money from steel as liver bird said
The Mittal thing must be bollox...that guy has more cash then Abramovich! Was at a function a couple of months ago where his daughter-in-law was present and I've met someone who went to his daughters wedding in France...Kylie Minougue, Palace of Versailles, all the bollywood stars. Can't see it happening at all tbh.

Heard the guy on Talksport yesterday as well....said one of his sources told him we had found a major, single investor who would takeover the club. Moores in the past has said he would hand over the reins if an Abramovich type figure came on board though....that could mean Bob Kraft as well.

Exciting news nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts