1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafael reiterates Barca desire
Sunday, 04 April 2004

by James Pearson
Ajax star Rafael van der Vaart is set to snub Manchester United after reiterating his desire to play for Spanish giants Barcelona.
The Red Devils target has already revealed the time is right for a new challenge and has his heart set on a move to Frank Rijkaard's Barca squad.

Should the Holland international make the Camp Nou move he would be the second ace to snub an Old Trafford switch following Ronaldinho's transfer last summer.

Barca would be joining the mass Dutch ranks in Spain with the club already having the likes of Phillip Cocu, Michael Reiziger, Marc Overmars and Patrick Kluivert on their books.

"I have made no secret of the feeling I have for Barca," van der Vaart told the Mirror.

"They are the club I have supported all of my life for family reasons. They are the club of my mother's family.

"I do not know what the future holds, but I have played in Camp Nou for Ajax and it was a dream come true for me."

He again states his dream about Barca. The fourth times as I remember. I think he talks seriously. He wants. Mostly importantly, his parents want even more. Traditionally Barca have better relationship with Dutch Ajax than any other club. So it is rather possible. But he should play like Ronnie. Overlapping in position. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think he could connect quite well with Ronnie. It's really nice to see a prospect like Van der Vaart love a club like us so much really, I think he would play his heart out for us and with the talent that he has he'll definately be something special. I'd take him over Vicente, Giggs, Loque just for the simple fact that he wants to play here very badly.

What do you guys think? none the less, this is good news. Come on Laporta, pull the trigger. ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I believe Rafael'a mom is from Spain, just not sure where. He also stated that his mom's family are all Barca fans, so maybe we should try to sign him.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This is the kind of thing that brings instability to your club, by purchasing players without the big picture in mind. If VDV is to come it´s like death sentence to the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Quaresma and Rijkaard has to change his gameplan once again when it´s finally working for you! All this said I think VDV is a wonderfull player and he could succeed with you, but not without compromising something in the process!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
NEO said:
This is the kind of thing that brings instability to your club, by purchasing players without the big picture in mind. If VDV is to come it´s like death sentence to the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Quaresma and Rijkaard has to change his gameplan once again when it´s finally working for you! All this said I think VDV is a wonderfull player and he could succeed with you, but not without compromising something in the process!

Xavi and Iniesta are both DM's and would play behind Ronaldinho and Van der Vaart. Quaresma isn't nearly as mature as Rafael is either and like most people have mentioned the young Portuguese winger will probably be sent on loan.

Buying Van der Vaart would allow us to stay with the same formation, dude. Assuming that we sign Edgar Davids and buy Trezeguet with our current formation this is how it would look:

-----------------Valdes------------------

Reiziger---Puyol----Marquez-----Van Bronkhorst

------------------Iniesta---------------------

-------------Xavi--------Davids----------

---Ronaldinho----------------Van der Vaart

-------------Trezeguet--------------

Ofcourse, that's just my squad. I'd sell Overmars, Kluivert and Cocu since I think it's time for all of them to leave. The possibility of signing a left-back is likely, I'd like Del Horno.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It would wreck the formation in the sense of lacking wingplay (one less than what you have now) and don´t you think there would be too many `brains` in that formation with Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho and VDV ´cause you need some players to apply for those passes they´d provide too. And isn´t Iniesta amc, atleast for Spain´s U21?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
NEO said:
It would wreck the formation in the sense of lacking wingplay (one less than what you have now) and don´t you think there would be too many `brains` in that formation with Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho and VDV ´cause you need some players to apply for those passes they´d provide too. And isn´t Iniesta amc, atleast for Spain´s U21?
Iniesta is better as an AMC, IMO better than Xavi there but I find it hard to fit him in the team on Xavi's on current form.

Van der Vaart, I think its best if we stay away from him. He would cost alot and his price could potentially throw us off the signing of Trezeguet. Its nice that he wants to play for us but he doesnt fit what we need at the moment. I also think we should move away from the signings of prospects unless there a certain Fernando Torres.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Dude, we lack wingplay. Luis Garcia has been solid but just isn't a threat and Rijkaard's fav sub on the midfield is Overmars who is absolutely horrific. All he has is speed and no skills at all, he's horrible.

I think Xavi and Ronaldinho are both amazing passers, I haven't seen enough of Iniesta and VDV to say anything on their part. However, we'd have an excellent young midfield and I think they would gel pretty well given some time. Amazing team, I'll tell you.

You're being way too picky, dude. That team is simply incredible! Van der Vaart is something special and would give us that second man that has skills to attack and create on his own like Ronaldinho, unlike our current partner for 'Dinho; Luis Garcia.

Iniesta is better as an AMC, IMO better than Xavi there but I find it hard to fit him in the team on Xavi's on current form.

Van der Vaart, I think its best if we stay away from him. He would cost alot and his price could potentially throw us off the signing of Trezeguet. Its nice that he wants to play for us but he doesnt fit what we need at the moment. I also think we should move away from the signings of prospects unless there a certain Fernando Torres.
Once again, I haven't seen Iniesta enough to make a decision on what position is his best but there's no denying that he's a talented player like everyone has been raving on about. If he isn't best at a pure DM role, then we could put out a linuep like this instead:

-----------------Davids----------------
----------Xavi-------------------------Iniesta

Ofcourse, buying a striker is going to be the first move we make. Trezeguet or Torres, either one is fine with me. After that we'll probably sign a LB and I hope Van der Vaart. Let's not forget that for Laporta money isn't an issue and we'll also be gaining profit from the sale of Kluivert and co.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its nice that he wants to play for us but he doesnt fit what we need at the moment.
My point exactly and have to add that why not give Riquelme a chance first before committing to someone like VDV!

Dude, we lack wingplay. Luis Garcia has been solid but just isn't a threat
Not seen enough of him to pass a proper judgement, but I think he played well against Villarreal and maybe his crosses are going to waste because of the lack of a real target man a´la Trezeguet!

Guess my whole point is that with the current formation you need atleast one player on the wing to provide width and getting VDV it would mean chance of plans which is not good if you´re to achieve a base for the future!

·
Registered
565 Posts
People, Luis Garcia isn't a solid player. He is just balanced. For every ball he looses he tries to help on defence to get it back.
Balanced offensive players are great... as subs. Barca needs EXPLOSIVE players up front, players like Luque, VDV, etc.

Luque scored today, he's MUCH more accurate than Luis Garcia and is a better offensive player, which is what a winger should really be: a second striker.

VDV is an option if Luque turns out to be too expensive. I believe that the fact he's Dutch shouldn't condition his possibilities of joining Barca, since Barca has such great relations with Ajax, one of the best schools (if not the best) of young talent. And with the "cleanup" Barca plans to have, most of them are gonna be Dutch players (Overmars, Reizeger, Cocu???, Kluivert).

VDV is young but unlike Quaresma, he is one of the top players in the Dutch League and is a very smart team player. He would be great.

Personally, I would ditch the idea of signing a "crack" this summer (leave that for the "Galactilosers". I would try to get a great deal in the Ibrahimovich/VDV combo. Bringing these two players (which have played for Ajax and are synced and eliminated Valencia last year in Champions league) would give Barca the young stars on the verge of becoming great. I don't think Trezeguet's signing is a better option than bringing the Ajax duo. Two future stars for the price of one who has lived through his best years and wouldn't be Ronaldinho's best partner.

-----------------------Valdes----------------------

Rekarte-------Puyols-----Heinze-------VB/del horno

-------------------------Cocu--------------------------

---------------Xavi-------------Davids--------------

-----Ronaldinho-----------------VDV------------

--------------------Ibrahimovic------------------------

Both VDV and Ronaldinho can play on either sides and Ibrahimovic is a very talented dribbler and would be a hybrid of Saviola and Kluivert. A tall Saviola with the dribbling of Zidane. He has also proven he can score and much more next to great players. He has scored an acrobatic goal against England which gave Sweden the 1-0 victory. Some say he's the next Van Basten because of his abilities with the ball between his feet, having a big physique and being very fast.

I know it's risky because of their age, and some will say that they have had enough of Dutch players and specially those from Ajax. That they rather buy players that have proven themselves on "competetive" leagues. That Barca should never sign future stars, just stick to made stars like Madrid. If that's the case then we will never be able to sign a Kaka or a Cristiano Ronaldo. And if Barca doesn't want to be a selling team then that's fine with me.

JC

P.S. Riquelme is non-EU and, although very good, not worth filling up that slot if it comes down to 2 next year

·
Registered
48 Posts
If he comes, I would see something like this

Code:
                        Valdes

Reizinger    Puyol     Marquez     VB/Signing

Xavi           Davids

Garcia           Ronaldinho          VdV

Trezeguet
I can see Barca getting a LB and perhaps a CB (Mexes) and then putting Puyol back on the right.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
people, make no mistake, VDV is NO left winger, he played there on a few occasions but he just doesn't fit in there.
His best position is (L)CM or AMC, though he could be used a striker also. He's an incredibly talented guy, but i don't think he's what Barca needs. His position is already taken by Ronaldinho.
Barca needs a good centreback, a left winger and a striker.
They don't need vdv

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
My point exactly and have to add that why not give Riquelme a chance first before committing to someone like VDV!
Riquelme and Barca will never fit together again. Our management treated him like crap and I don't see any reason why he would want to come back. He'll probably be sold to an Italian team, and I've even heard rumours that he'd like to stay at Villareal.

Not seen enough of him to pass a proper judgement, but I think he played well against Villarreal and maybe his crosses are going to waste because of the lack of a real target man a´la Trezeguet!
Dude, Luis Garcia isn't good enough to partner with Ronaldinho. We have DM's in Xavi and Davids in the midfield so Ronnie needs a player that is world-class next to him that has the technique to create his own chances and has skills, and that's exactly what VDV has unlike Luis Garcia. Don't get me wrong, Luis Garcia is solid but nothing more.

people, make no mistake, VDV is NO left winger, he played there on a few occasions but he just doesn't fit in there.
He wouldn't really be a winger, though. He'd be playing in the middle behind Trezeguet with Ronaldinho but at times of the game he'd drift to the left, which I think he can do because as you said he has played left-wing before. Don't worry, he won't be played out of position.

CampNou; great post man. It's exactly how I feel about VDV, even though I'm not sure about Zlatan since I'm in favor of signing Trezeguet. :star:

·
Registered
460 Posts
NEO said:

Guess my whole point is that with the current formation you need atleast one player on the wing to provide width and getting VDV it would mean chance of plans which is not good if you´re to achieve a base for the future!
i don't think that we can compare riquelme with rafa.. riquelme proved last weekend he's a player for villarreal, not for Barça (forget for 1 minute that they're playing against celtic & not us, that's not the point) ..look how slow he is!
rafa is a complete different player..not because it seems they have the same position or number on the field it means they're the same!
my opinion is buy rafa before it's too late..before man utd stole him from us..

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
mariaines said:
my opinion is buy rafa before it's too late..before man utd stole him from us..
I agree. But correction; we'd be stealing Rafa from them since they seem to be the most interested but Van der Vaart would rather play at the Camp Nou. Much like Ronaldinho, eh? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts