Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who here thinks he is underrated. He is defently one of the top defenders in La Liga, but NO one ever seems to pay much attention to him.

He is good in the air, has a great freekick, defends well and can even play as a DM.

who else here thinks he is underrated?

·
Registered
658 Posts
marquez is class.

his run and cross for the second goal was a moment i will never forget. :D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I keep saying Marquez together with Puyol is one the world's best CD duo and I rate Rafa very high. Puyol is undoubtely one of the best defenders there are, but still I believe there are elements the Mexican is actually better at i.e. heading and on-the-ground tackling, plus he's good in passing the ball forward and has a good shot, which is useful at taking freekicks.

When you look however at football forums and see people demanding a new defender for Barça you might say Marquez is slightly underrated.

I've watched every single game since December and can't name a player I'd rather see partnering Carles in defence over Marquez. The guy is class!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Well you can say that the ones who doesn't watch Barcelona underrate him.
We cules rate very him very high especially as a center-back.
He's the perfect complement to Puyol and we have an amazing defensive record when they play at the heart of our defence.
He might frustrating at time because of his sloppy passing or his lack of speed but he's still a great player and he has been great for us this season.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was excited from the moment we signed him, there was that "something" about him which i thought hang on we may have a very good defender on our hands now. I was a little disappointed in his first season and was glad he got a better opportunity that summer in pre-season and enough faith put in him by the coach for him to be a regular at the back with Puyol at the start of 04/05. Unfortunaley due to injury he had to play the majority of the season at DM. He's a defender of the highest quality, constantly linked with Milan previously other Italian teams also. I hope we hold on to him for a long time, reads the game well, got a wicked right foot, good in the air, strong tackler - perfect for Puyol. A very good player i say.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Carles said:
He's the perfect complement to Puyol and we have an amazing defensive record when they play at the heart of our defence.
He might frustrating at time because of his sloppy passing or his lack of speed but he's still a great player and he has been great for us this season.
Yet a lot of people want us to buy another CD in the summer..

I rate him very high and hope he will be in our first eleven for a long time to come.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Carles said:
Agree. Puyol and Márquez is the perfect match.. we only need a backup to Puyi.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
victorvaldes.1. said:
i like marquez a lot, hes a great player and one of our decent players in the air!
I want him to score a goal against Chelsea in the second leg at Camp Nou :)

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
victorvaldes.1. said:
i like marquez a lot, hes a great player and one of our decent players in the air!

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
victorvaldes.1. said:

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
victorvaldes.1. said:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
In the last few months he's been getting better and better. A couple of months ago I still thought we needed a world class CB, now I think Barça only need a good backup.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was one of the cules that bashed Marquez on a regular basis. I hated the fact that he was slow to the tackle and that he passed horribly. I guess it was because he played as DM and had to pass the ball alot and recover quickly.

What Marquez lacks in speed he makes up in anticipation. He needs a little more time to make a quick decision. He's our best defender when it comes to heading and set pieces.

I still believe we can do a bit better with another CD, but I give credit to Marquez for adapting so well as CD. He has my utmost respect and admiration for that. And he is doing a great job, much better than Oleguer. But yesterday we played more defensively than usual. Don't forget, Barcelona generally play with their defensive line pushed upfield leaving alot of space between them and the Goalkeeper. In this situation maybe a faster CD is recommended. I don't know who is the fastest of our CD, but I assure you it's not Marquez. Depending on our style of playing, Marquez might be more useful than Oleguer.

All in all, I rate Marquez's last night performance 9/10 since he defended very well and added to the atack causing Terry's own goal and giving the assist to the second goal. He was everywhere.

JC

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
marquez is ok, perea and pablo are much better then him.........marquez is crazy sometimes in the last worldcup he killed the american player and this season he always try to fight with the other players :yuck: :yuck:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I included him in my bombastically received list of favorite players years back... proud to see him adapting and doing so well.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Fantastic partner to Puyol.....

and I hope he stays underrated.....

Rijkaard and the team know what he's really worth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts