1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucas Radebe Set To Return For Leeds Tonight
News Archive

The Chief is back (Allsport)
04/18/2002. Leeds United have been boosted by the news that Lucas Radebe will play his first game in over a year tonight.

The South African defender has been plagued with knee and ankle injuries since last April, however he will line up for Leeds reserves against their Middlesbrough counterparts at York later today.

Radebe said, "The physios thought all along that this would be the timescale to get things moving again. The knee and ankle feel good - I can do everything I need to do in training. Obviously I would like to go the World Cup with South Africa but it is a lot different from playing in the reserves for Leeds. Before I can think about the World Cup I have to prove I can get through a reserve game without any reaction and take it from there. That is when I can say to myself 'yes there is a chance'."

soccerage

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
And not a moment too soon either. Mills can go back to his right pos. and Matteo has a proper partner. Yay!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
He's only playing Reserves. Didn't he come back this year but went out again? Or was Dubery? Either way it will be good to see Radabe back on the pitch...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok - I know you are all going to berate me for this - but I am not really a Radebe fan.... I just don't have confidence in the guy - I think that he has played some outstanding games, but I feel that his liabilities outweigh the good games..
I cringe everytime he goes near the ball waiting for the mistake.. now maybe I just have bad memories - as it has been a while, so lets just hope that he does prove me wrong...:(

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well, he would really be a fifth choice for me after Rio, Matteo, Woodgate and Mills. But with some of the injuries we've had we need all the back up we can get.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I sort of don't have the confidence either. I have not seen him play for a while and I feel that he has been out for too long to be able to get back into it. But DO has kept him on the books and I think that he might be able to do well. I remember him when he was playing, he made some great tackles and he was a top player. I hope he comes back with all cylinders firing...:)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
RADEBE STEPS IT UP
by Graham Walker

LUCAS Radebe makes his second reserve team outing tonight as he aims to put a 13 month absence due to injury behind him.
The South African international made his comeback for the reserves last week, playing the first half against Middlesbrough, but is expected to try to last the full 90 against Bradford City at Odsal.

Whilst there is still a hope he could be selected for his country's World Cup campaign, Radebe is eager to prove his fitness with the reserves with the view to getting a chance of a first team run-out in Leeds' last game of the season against Middlesbrough at Elland Road.

He leads a young side into action against the Bantams tonight that also includes Stephen McPhail and Jacob Burns, who have features infrequently for David O'Leary this season.

Leeds from: Robinson, Farren, Newey, Burns, Radebe, Cansdell-Sherrif, McPhail, Richardson, Farrell, McMaster, Singh. Subs: Kilgallon, Milosevic, Keegan, Cramer, Johnson, McStay.

The last two remaining Leeds United Reserve fixtures have been transferred from Bootham Crescent and will now be played at ELLAND ROAD.

The details are as follows:-

vs Manchester United, Thursday 25th April - kick off 7.00pm.
vs Newcastle United, Monday 29th April - kick off 7.00pm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has it really only been 13 months - it seems like much more than that.. and there was me thinking that 'time flies when you're having fun' - ha ha ha..
I just hope he isn't used instead of rio and Woody - and I hope that Rio doesn't have to let go of the capt. armband??

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Nah, it's alright. He's only comming on for the reservs in the reserve competition.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Inexpendable you mean. 18 Million Pounds... :tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts