Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Suppercoppa final and yet another issue with racism, this time by Lazio fans. This is getting all too common and ridiculous. What is it about Italians and this medieval behavior? I mean in this day and age? I find it appalling and embarrassing given my Italian parentage.

The Italian league already has numerous challenges as it is (poor finances, aging stadiums, and violence to name just a few). But racism? Would I want to bring my kids to a match to see them witness how a group of people racially abuse players on the basis of their skin color - and the hypocrisy of jeering black players of the opposition despite having black players of your own on your team!

And the ironic thing is, the classic defense coming from those who jeer is this: "Its not a racist thing, we are just trying to intimidate the opposition and put them off their game". What a load of rubbish. Particularly as in this case, Lazio was losing 4-0 - so its clear to me that the racism we see in Italy is truly more sinister than what many believe.

It surprises me how many black players still want to play in Serie A to get abused when they can have wonderfully fulfilling and financially rewarding careers in England where such behavior is largely stricken from the game.

Of course, I am not suggesting that Lazio fans are any worse than other fans - all of them have been found guilty (Juventus fans included).

So what should one do in this case? Walk of the field? Well, I am of the view that it results in a victory to those who jeer. Should the referee stop the match? Again, why should the 99% of adequately behaved paying fans suffer because of a few idiots. Fine the club? Well this is done already but there are 2 problems with this: Why should the majority suffer and in any case the fines are not material enough.

Yes, I have heard we need to "educate people" but lets face it, while I agree, it is a vague solution to a black and white problem (pardon the pun).

So what does one do? The only thing I can think of is to use video technology to locate the fans in the crowd who are guilty. Once you find them, you ban them from attending future matches. I am guessing in reality that might be a difficult thing to put into practice. But IF it was effective, that would surely be the greatest deterrent for such behavior.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Looking at the racism issue in the stadiums are pretty pointless IMO as it usually steams from a more widespread racism issue in society overall. Or perhaps pointless is a wrong choice of words but I can't see the football clubs solving an issue that has it roots in the rest of the society.

Continue fining the clubs and taking a stance against racism but don't expect the issue to dissapear in the short run.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Juventus fans crying about racism. How ironic.

Wonder how Pogba and Asamoah feel when Juve fans are making monkey noises towards Balotelli and Boateng.

#curvadimerda

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looking at the racism issue in the stadiums are pretty pointless IMO as it usually steams from a more widespread racism issue in society overall. Or perhaps pointless is a wrong choice of words but I can't see the football clubs solving an issue that has it roots in the rest of the society.

Continue fining the clubs and taking a stance against racism but don't expect the issue to dissapear in the short run.
Sadly, this is true, there is a degree on racism that is simply embedded into Italian culture that won't disappear any time soon. I have friends who are good people who simply wouldn't think twice about making racist comments, whether they truly believe what they're saying or not is a different matter.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Wonder how Pogba and Asamoah feel when Juve fans are making monkey noises towards Balotelli and Boateng.

#curvadimerda
If you read my post carefully, you would realize that I was not singling out any group of fans - I am equally critical of racist Juventus fans.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Racism is everywhere. Here in the US blacks are arrested, hassled and imprisoned at MUCH higher rates than whites but no one makes a monkey noise at sporting events. If I was a black, and I had to choose, I'd take monkey noises all day.

Disgusting and embarrassing, sure. Pretty harmless, though.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts

#curvadimerda
This is probably the most stupid thing I've seen in a while. Just because there are sections of the Juve supporters that are racist doesn't mean everybody is. And it doesn't take away the right for other Juve supporters to condemn that behavior.

I'm sure there are sections of the Milan fans who adore Berlusconi. Are these guys underage prostitute lovers and corrupt by nature?

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
Although the Lazio players and manager were gracious and humble in defeat (unlike Napoli-merda last year :yuck: ) - it was very disappointing to hear the jeers during the final moments whenever Ogbonna, or Kwadwo, or Pogba had the ball.

I mean really, because Cavanda and Ederson are what...?? Blonde hair blue eyed caucasian? :howler:

I really don't get the racist jeering when you've got black players on your own team. That has to be to most epic of fails ever. :palm:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Racism is a disease. It flourishes among the uneducated and insecure. The racists are usually people who have never once tried to step out of their comfort zone and actually speak with a person of a different race.
A society fails when racism is allowed. I totally disagree that racial jeering is harmless. Disease spreads. I don't care if it's a societal or stadium thing. It shouldn't be tolerated. It's so ugly that it actually repels many educated persons, who don't want to be around such stinky garbage. So Italy and its football clubs allow it at their own peril. I would never spend money to watch a match near a bunch of racist idiots acting like gorillas.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
This is getting all too common and ridiculous. What is it about Italians and this medieval behavior? I mean in this day and age? I find it appalling and embarrassing given my Italian parentage.
99% of adequately behaved paying fans suffer because of a few idiots.
We're no more racist than any other "ethnic group." The issue is more so the propensity for a select few dummies to throw political correctness out the window in an environment in which they feel free to get away with it.

Has anyone else noticed this rash of racist chanting has occurred with increasing frequency in the last few years? It seems, to me, directly connected with the greater media scrutiny on the issue. It's as if these guys see the attention it receives and redouble their efforts.

Anyway, fining clubs solves nothing. A) the club is hardly accountable B) fining as impetus to clean up the issue directly makes no sense when the club has little power to do so. I mean, really, what are they going to do? Broadcast empty warnings or make pathetic requests to stop over the stadium speaker system? I won't even get into the difficulty in trying to monitor and then punish via CCTV.

Did they use any particular methods in England?

Or was it just a matter of time and increased multiculturalism there?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Racism is everywhere. Here in the US blacks are arrested, hassled and imprisoned at MUCH higher rates than whites but no one makes a monkey noise at sporting events. If I was a black, and I had to choose, I'd take monkey noises all day.

Disgusting and embarrassing, sure. Pretty harmless, though.

In the U.S. black people live in or near poverty at a much higher rate than white people. Poverty stricken people often see crime as the only avenue to provide for their families. It has nothing to do with the fact that the color of their skin is black.

I'm not saying that there aren't police officers who racially profile against black people, but this comment is a little disingenuous.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
In the U.S. black people live in or near poverty at a much higher rate than white people. Poverty stricken people often see crime as the only avenue to provide for their families. It has nothing to do with the fact that the color of their skin is black.

I'm not saying that there aren't police officers who racially profile against black people, but this comment is a little disingenuous.
lol

It has nothing to do with the fact that the color of their skin is black.

That comment is more than a little disingenuous.

I was basically a career criminal from my early teens until my early 30s and I've been pulled over by the police less than ten times. And I'm in my 40s. I work with a black guy who gets pulled over every month.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
lol

It has nothing to do with the fact that the color of their skin is black.

That comment is more than a little disingenuous.

I was basically a career criminal from my early teens until my early 30s and I've been pulled over by the police less than ten times. And I'm in my 40s. I work with a black guy who gets pulled over every month.
Well then clearly if BOTH of you have this situation then that extends to the U.S. as a country perfectly. In fairness, I didn't realize before that you are from Boston.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I'm going to be honest, I secretly like to see Lazio win but some of there fans are disgraceful, they have got black players on there team for god sake, just because Lazio lost 4-0 doesn't instantly mean you can abuse the Black players, I don't want this to effect the majority as I'm sure most of them just want a good game of football, it's the minority who spoil it for the rest, I saw a Lazio page on facebook where the owner who is a Lazio fans said Lazio against racism, Lazio has fans from abroad, I met quite a few from Indosenia who are some of the most passionate supporters around, and I hate to know how it would feel for them that there team was once again banned for racism to non-white players, some don't even consider them Italian (even if Ogbanna is).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm stating that the criminal acts have nothing to do with skin color. Criminal activity is acted out at a higher rate based on social factors, not skin color. You're taking a small part of my statement and twisting it. Also, your avatar makes it awkward for me to browse the forums while at work :)

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm stating that the criminal acts have nothing to do with skin color. Criminal activity is acted out at a higher rate based on social factors, not skin color. You're taking a small part of my statement and twisting it.
I've lived in Detroit, man. I'm not sure how you can suggest that racism is just some rare occurrence in the US.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've lived in Detroit, man. I'm not sure how you can suggest that racism is just some rare occurrence in the US.
I think we're making two different points.

To your point: Yes, racism is alive and well in the U.S.

My point is that the numbers regarding the amount or % of black people who are incarcerated is largely related to the fact that many come from poor backgrounds. There is more correlation with poverty levels, than skin color, when it comes to the % of people behind bars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts