Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this one Youtube and suddenly I actually remembered that this dude used to be one hell of a player.

Check out #6

[tub]r0ogw2vHrak[/tub]

How good was this guy at the top of his game? For sure he is the king of one of the best football clubs in the world for a reason?

Sadly, most Real Madrid fans would only remember him for he is now, and not for he was.

What caused his downfall? Was it the Galactico era?

Personally, I would say its because he decided to not cut his hair anymore :D

And to all the others posers (even you Pirlo :(), this celebration belongs to Raúl

What memories of a simpler time.. :proud:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It must be the most calamitous hair style change of all time. Ever since he went emo he's nothing but half the player.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Is he one of the owners of Real. I just can't believe the guy is first choice when his last good game was in 1999.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Yeah, that's about right. I made this in 2004. I remember everyone saying to me what happened to him after I made it.

[tuB]ymV-auhevwc[/tuB]​

·
Scudetto
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly, notice that he started to grow his hair after that. The theory just makes too much sense.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Bentex, are you sure you made that video in 04? That goal in 1:19 against Athletic was scored in 06 or even 07 :confused:

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
The King Of Spanish Football.
They should make a movie or something for him when he retires.

·
Scudetto
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose then you don't appreciate football, but only the ugly games Juve play?

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Bentex, are you sure you made that video in 04? That goal in 1:19 against Athletic was scored in 06 or even 07 :confused:
Yes, 100% sure. It was encoded 4th December 2004. As Rafa would say...fact :) I wouldn't have used movie maker in 2006 or 2007. I'm much better now in making comps :) Plus it has my old domain at the end. I stopped using that in early 2005.

·
Scudetto
23,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the top of his form, how high would you rank him?

One thing about Raul is that he doesn't seem to have one really special quality, instead, its all spread out.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
At the top of his form, how high would you rank him?

One thing about Raul is that he doesn't seem to have one really special quality, instead, its all spread out.
In some moment, he was the best. In my opinion, I think the year Owen got the Golden Ball, Raul deserved it much more. This is talking about that particular year.

Yet he has been one of the best strikers of his generation. Top scorer in Madrid's history, top scorer in the CL, top scorer in the Spanish NT, many many titles... His career has been amazing and quite consistent, despite a couple of irregular years lately.

Jani described him quite well. He is not outstanding at anything in particular... except in one thing: his intelligence. Raul has been one of these players that, not having an outstanding talent (it doesn't mean he has no talent), has given a lot to the teams he played in and his numbers are out of debate.

Raul was a victim of the "galactico" thing, because the constant changes of position placed him in the left wing or forced him to help in midfield, making him waste too much energy in things he doesn't know to do. That was one of his problems, because he always gives the 100% and always runs on the pitch.

When Raul was the supporting striker, he always scored goals as the main one... or even more. When he was pushed away from that position, he failed and mainly because he started to lose this extra-speed that gives you the youth.

He had 2 or 3 bad years that even pushed him out of the NT and people questioned him. But look at him again, he is scoring many goals, he has been the top scorer of his team in the last couple of years and he is doing well, despite not reaching the level of the late 90s or early 00s. Whenever Raul was the supporting striker, he scored many goals, because he's more intelligent than many others and he doesn't need to run faster nor shoot more powerful nor anything else.

It's evident that he's declining already, although he's doing well yet. Much much better than in the last 3 years of the galactico era. Whenever the Galacticos disappeared, he shined again... and Madrid won titles.

He has been consistent and efficient. Football didn't treat him well, individually talking (he won titles anyway), like it happened to Maldini. Now you see the list of the Ballon D'Or winners and you wonder why Maldini and Raul didn't get one of those while Cannavaro, Sammer, Owen or Nedved have it.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Maybe because you havent watched Nevded, thats why you are wondering...
I did. Don't get me wrong, Nedved is a fantastic player and I understand that these trophies are based on a single season. Nedved was brilliant that year and nothing to say about his trophy. The only problem I have with these trophies are that they have been unfair with some people when you look at things with perspective.

Personally, I think Raul's career has been amazing, but I guess that, when it comes to give an award, it's always better to have one outstanding season than having a great career. It's not that Nedved didn't have it, it's just that Raul's was even better. I just hope history put Raul where he deserves... and, as barcelonista, I'm telling you that his triumphs have been a big pain for me.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can say a lot of things about the current Raul, but awful is not one of them. Just not Real Madrid quality perhaps.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts