1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from onefootball.com

Brescia star Mero dies in car crash

Wednesday 23rd January 2002

Brescia defender Vittorio Mero has died in a car crash. Shocked team-mates pleaded for the postponement of the Coppa Italia semi-final with Parma on Wednesday afternoon after hearing the news moments before the game was due to start.

Mero, who was 27, died in an accident on the A4 motorway between Brescia and Venezia when his Polo Volkswagen collided with another car. The second driver is reported to have fled the scene.

It is understood Mero was going to Parma to watch the game. He had not travelled with the team because he was serving a suspension from the Coppa Italia.

Brescia officials were told of the news minutes before the semi-final, and initially tried to keep it from their players.

But Roberto Baggio, who was making his comeback after injury, sensed something was very wrong when he saw officials from both clubs in talks with referee Graziano Cesari as the players made their way onto the pitch.

He looked shattered when they told him the truth. He covered his face with his shirt, threw off his captain's armband and ran back to inform his team-mates of the tragic news.

Players and officials then headed for the dressing rooms where they decided to call the game off as a mark of respect.

"I met the captains and officials of both teams and together we took the choice to postpone the match. It was an act of of great civility and morality," said referee Cesari.

Later, Brescia assistant coach Enrico Nicolini revealed he had lunched with Mero only hours before his death.

"The players who were not playing at Parma trained during the morning and then myself, Vittorio, Markus Schopp, Emanuele Filippini and Marek Kozminski all went to lunch," he said.

"We spoke a lot about Vittorio's future and about the chances he had to change teams next summer. After the lunch we parted and the first I knew about the tragedy was with the rest of the team in Parma."

Mero, who was born in Vercelli, had been at Brescia since 1998, aside for a six-month loan deal with Serie B side Ternana in 2001.

A rugged defender, he began his career with Parma, before moving on to lower division sides Crevalcore and Ravenna.

He leaves a wife and an 18-month old son.

The semi-final will be rescheduled for next week.

R.I.P. Vittorio Mero :( :cry:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I feel for Miss Mero and his family:(.I also feel sorry for his Brescia Teammates they were in tears on the pitch and when i saw Baggio hold his face in dispear i was sadden by it:(.

Rest in Peace Vittorio Mero may your family be watched over by god:depress:.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys, I am really sorry for Mero.
Every match he played with Brescia he was great.
We will miss him.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Parma has decided to give his family all the money collected from the sale of tickets for the match

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
My heart goes out to his family and his 18 month old son.What bothers me that his suspension got him killed in a way.
REST IN PEACE

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Rest In Peace Vittorio!May the master bless u and ur family.......:depress: :cry:

This is life..........:(

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
RIP, Mero... :(

i m not a fan of brescia, nor a fan of him...but it was a sad day and for every soccer fan, i m pretty sure we all will miss him forever...i feel sorry for his family...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts