Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost, not because of a ref, but because of poor player selections and poor coaching.

Back in February I said that Beto and Joao Pinto would hinder the squad's chances of progressing, and that they did...with a lot of help from that bird Oliveira.

It made me sick to my stomach when I saw that Rui was not in the starting 11. Now many of you know that I am Rui's most critical observer, I hate the guy...but sh1t....against Poland he came out to play and play he did. But instead, JVP's boo-hoo's in the middle of the week got his name put on the squad card in the place of Rui Costa. God dam, Rui Costa's holding ability would have helped the team so much and preventing that abortion known as JVP from getting that USELESS USELESS red card.

Memo to JVP, this is not Portugal. You won't get away from that sh_it as easily as you do at home.

Now as for Beto. He proved once again how sh*t he is. The guy can't defend without fouling, f*ck..at least when Jorge Costa, Fernando Couto or a player like Nesta foul....it's when no one could see. Those little shots. Beto the boner hits a player in the face of the ref....he deserved the red, I hope he gets more.

And a mighty bravo to Oliveira. I think your a little dissapointed that you could not use Caneira since you're people wanted to sell him so you could make some cash. A bravo on including Pedro Barbosa in the squad instead of someone who had an all-star season, Silas. A bravo for waiting so long to introduce Xavier. A bravo for waiting so long for introducing Portugal's best central defender -Andrade- when the game was dead and buried. A bravo for calling only 3 forwards to the game when there were two young bucks named Quaresma and Postiga who would not have missed that sitter that pretty boy Gomes missed. An extra bravo for not playing a yound midfield wizard named Hugo Viana, what happened there? Negociations with Celta broke off? Can't pocket the change on this one?

No my friends, it was not the ref that cost us. It was the three-headed moronic beast known as OliveiraBetoPinto that cost us a spot in the final 16.

Oh and a thank you very much to Mr.Gilbert Madail. I don't know who you paid off to get EURO 2004 in Portugal, but you've done enough. Sadly you're most likely to remain atop the federation when the only man who could sort out the 'mess' in our federation is that chap that is now assistant coach at Manchester United. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Total utter dissapointment. Total utter disbelief.

Thumbs up to Vitor, Pauleta and Rui. Our three best players at the world cup. :)

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Lomes said:
We lost, not because of a ref, but because of poor player selections and poor coaching.

Back in February I said that Beto and Joao Pinto would hinder the squad's chances of progressing, and that they did...with a lot of help from that bird Oliveira.

It made me sick to my stomach when I saw that Rui was not in the starting 11. Now many of you know that I am Rui's most critical observer, I hate the guy...but sh1t....against Poland he came out to play and play he did. But instead, JVP's boo-hoo's in the middle of the week got his name put on the squad card in the place of Rui Costa. God dam, Rui Costa's holding ability would have helped the team so much and preventing that abortion known as JVP from getting that USELESS USELESS red card.

Memo to JVP, this is not Portugal. You won't get away from that sh_it as easily as you do at home.

Now as for Beto. He proved once again how sh*t he is. The guy can't defend without fouling, f*ck..at least when Jorge Costa, Fernando Couto or a player like Nesta foul....it's when no one could see. Those little shots. Beto the boner hits a player in the face of the ref....he deserved the red, I hope he gets more.

And a mighty bravo to Oliveira. I think your a little dissapointed that you could not use Caneira since you're people wanted to sell him so you could make some cash. A bravo on including Pedro Barbosa in the squad instead of someone who had an all-star season, Silas. A bravo for waiting so long to introduce Xavier. A bravo for waiting so long for introducing Portugal's best central defender -Andrade- when the game was dead and buried. A bravo for calling only 3 forwards to the game when there were two young bucks named Quaresma and Postiga who would not have missed that sitter that pretty boy Gomes missed. An extra bravo for not playing a yound midfield wizard named Hugo Viana, what happened there? Negociations with Celta broke off? Can't pocket the change on this one?

No my friends, it was not the ref that cost us. It was the three-headed moronic beast known as OliveiraBetoPinto that cost us a spot in the final 16.

Oh and a thank you very much to Mr.Gilbert Madail. I don't know who you paid off to get EURO 2004 in Portugal, but you've done enough. Sadly you're most likely to remain atop the federation when the only man who could sort out the 'mess' in our federation is that chap that is now assistant coach at Manchester United. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Total utter dissapointment. Total utter disbelief.

Thumbs up to Vitor, Pauleta and Rui. Our three best players at the world cup. :)
I pretty much agree, although the FPF innuendo goes right over my head.
-I did not understand why JVP was/is a better selection over Rui Costa.
-I did not understand why we were playing Beto in the second half when he's already been carded TWICE.
-I couldn't understand why players such as Figo and Conceicao were simply giving the ball away in the first half. Is it THAT muggy in Korea.

I'm going to try and curb my comments. I still have a headache from watching this game. I will just finish by writing something positive: Baia

I thought Baia was toast after the first game, and he really wasn't challenged in the second, but I am grateful that he kept his composure in the final minutes in the game. He held his ground and saved every one-on-one challenge by the Koreans, giving his team that slim hope of a comeback. I don't blame him for the goal (Conceicao was deeked out of his boots, allowing for a clear shooting lane), that happens.

But the Portuguese team can learn a thing from his presence and composure. When you are down, you cannot not panick. You do not behave like the sky is falling. You must keep your eye on the prize and keep on keep plugging away- relying on the knowledge and skill that got you to where you are. I hope the next generation of players will learn this........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lomes,

How can u say Beto and JVP hinder the team?... What kind of herb are u on?.. Beto, is clearly hands down the best defender on Portugal.. Couto and Costa are over the hill and garbage.. Beto has every attribute as a great defender plus offensive skills (dribbing, free kicks).. I suppose u think Couto and Costa are better? hahaha your tripping...

As far as JVP he had his best yr of his life.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
The following should not be present at 2004:

V. Baia (It's Ricardo's time)
J. Costa (You just suck and Andrade is way better)
F. Couto (Your too old and need a haricut)
J. Pinto (You Sh!t don't work on an international level and there's a reason why Benfica got rid of your sorry ass)
A Oliveira (Need I say more, where is Queiros)
P. Barbosa (You show up late and are a joke)

Nuff said....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Flotown said:
The following should not be present at 2004:
F. Couto (Your too old and need a haricut)
I agree that he'll be to old but never even mention the word haircut!;)

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Portugal4ever said:
You need to add Sousa to the list...
Thanks, I forgot about that one as well. Let me also suggest the following be included for 2004:

Morreira (Great backup for RIcardo)
Simao (What is we had him for the WC?)
Vianna (Understudy for Rui Costa)
Postiga (It's time, although I am not a Porko)
Quaresma (He'll be ready)
Miguel (He will finally be mature)

ANy other suggestions...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sergio Leite...Boavista...is going to be a super super super keeper. He's a lock.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flotown said:

Thanks, I forgot about that one as well. Let me also suggest the following be included for 2004:

Morreira (Great backup for RIcardo)
Simao (What is we had him for the WC?)
Vianna (Understudy for Rui Costa)
Postiga (It's time, although I am not a Porko)
Quaresma (He'll be ready)
Miguel (He will finally be mature)

ANy other suggestions...
Lets not forget....

Ednilson (Benfica)
Paulo Ferreira (FC Porto)
Candido Costa (FC Porto)
Makakula (Nantes)
Cesar Peixoto (Belenenses)
Boswinga (Boavista)
Jorge Andrade (FC Porto)
Jorge Ribeiro (Benfica)

·
Registered
273 Posts
All of these young players will be added to the mix leading up to Euro 2004. They will either challenge, complement or replace the following players, who may still be around:

Figo
R. Costa
Pauleta
N. Gomes
S. Conceicao
Petit
Frechaut
Rui Jorge
Caneira
Andrade

M

·
0 Posts
What happened to Paulo Costa and Luis Lourenco?

Tiago(Benfica) is another!

Sergio Leite NEEDS to be given a go soon at premier league club or he'll go to waste. He can be the best goalie portugals ever seen.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been impressed with Leite in his games with the U21s. However, the fact that he has yet to perform at the First Division concerns me. Moreira, on the other hand, was very impressive as the starting keeper for Benfica at the end of the year. If you are looking for someone to become the "greatest GK in Portugal history", I think Moreira would be that guy right now.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Lomes,

Right on, for 90% of what you said. Not sure what you have against Rui, but I think you took it easy on Oliveira. The coach is supposed to provide an example, and this loser goes out, twists his ankle, makes a bad decision at every turn, pulls faces like a scared girl on the sidelines - and tops it off by making insinuations about the officiating. He must have some serious hidden talents in other areas if he manages to emerge from this fiasco with a shred of credibility.

Somebody...please explain this guy to me????? Humberto, where are you??

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I believe by the next World Cup Nuno Gomes will be at the highest level in his career. He should start. I still say that Vidigal should have got some playing time. Baia did a good job after the U.S.A game which I add wasn't his fault after careful observation. Its the defense that fu*ked the team up. They couldn't defend for sh*t. And what was up with Figo. Your talking about not living up to what you were supposed to be. Figo had already conquered Europe and now he was supposed to take the World aswell, but he played like he was in his first season. Rui Costa should have started aswell. DAWN !!!!!!! FU*k !!!!!!!!! I'VE SNAPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TALKING ABOUT THIS !!!!!!! WERE STILL SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYING!!!!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I didnt think anyone could be Portuguese and hate Rui Costa; unless of course its aporkista thing against Benfiquistas.

Oliveira would be shot dead if he was coach of Columbia wid dat **** he pulled.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Lomes said:
We lost, not because of a ref, but because of poor player selections and poor coaching
I agree but I myself may have put JVP on at first but after 5 minutes I knew he had to come off. He was falling everywhere. His size along with Petit's wasn't working against South Korea.

Lomes said:
I agree about Beto 100%. I think he's sh*t. You're right, this is not Portugal and Beto can't defend without being fouled. As much as I used to like him, I have come to the realization that he has a lot to learn.

Lomes said:
It made me sick to my stomach when I saw that Rui was not in the starting 11. Now many of you know that I am Rui's most critical observer, I hate the guy...but sh1t....against Poland he came out to play and play he did.
I realized after 5 minutes that Portugal needed Rui. Oliveira should have realized this as well. They couldn't keep possesion and if there's one guy who could slice diagonally through any midfield it's Rui!

Lomes said:
But instead, JVP's boo-hoo's in the middle of the week got his name put on the squad card in the place of Rui Costa.
O.K. so it's not just me. JVP does seem to look sour everytime he's not on the pitch. I know the guy has saved our skin on a couple of occasions but so has Rui. Rui doesn't look like he complains though.

Lomes said:
I see Jorge Costa fouling all the time but rarely does he slide tackle or try to win the ball by extending his leg. THAT'S SUICIDE in a FIFA tournament. Everyone knows that FIFA is inconsistent and changes it's refereeing strategies every friggin' tournament. And everyone knew that FIFA was booking EVERYTHING this time around. EVERYTHING. Was Beto oblivious to this?

Lomes said:
And a mighty bravo to Oliveira. I think your a little dissapointed that you could not use Caneira since you're people wanted to sell him so you could make some cash.
I'm not sure why Oliveira refused to use Caneira but I have an idea. I really don't think he's seen enough of Caneira to make judgement. Plus, he's a guy who rarely takes chances. How dare he bring on Xavier so late? Where was Nuno Gomes? He should have been on right after the first goal. And taking Pauleta off? WAS HE HIGH? Pauleta can defend as good as Beto on any day.

Lomes said:
A bravo for waiting so long for introducing Portugal's best central defender -Andrade- when the game was dead and buried. A bravo for calling only 3 forwards to the game when there were two young bucks named Quaresma and Postiga who would not have missed that sitter that pretty boy Gomes missed. An extra bravo for not playing a yound midfield wizard named Hugo Viana, what happened there? Negociations with Celta broke off? Can't pocket the change on this one?
Ok, let's take this one point at a time. First off, I agree, Andrade should have been on for the ineffective Rui Jorge after the first half. His pace effected the Koreans right away. They looked confused by his hurried runs and he managed to get the ball in the box, something Rui Jorge could not do throughout the game. My gosh, Rui Jorge couldn't even get past the center of the pitch without losing possesion of the ball.

Quaresma would have been an interesting wild card. I do believe Oliveira wanted him in but there simply wasn't enough room. Should he have brought on Quaresma instead of Barbosa? Maybe. But that's a very tough call. Quaresma is obviously pacy, and nimble but I believe he brought on Barbosa in case Rui was hurt and ineffective. Then again, he had Capucho! So screw Oliveira, he should have brought on Quaresma. Does Portugal need another creative midfielder in Barbosa? Hell NO!

As for Postiga, that's another tough call. Calling up Postiga would mean sacrificing either Barbosa or Caneira.

As for Hugo Viana not getting any playing time...that's a good point. I don't think he wanted to bring him in when we were losing to the U.S. He wanted experience, in other words, he wanted a patient Portuguese squad to build up momentum. Then again, Viana is a very patient player so maybe Oliveira was wrong.

Lomes said:
I have to hand it to you Lomes, you've been ranting about how you didn't want either Beto or JVP on the pitch since day 1. Some would say it's because you dislike anything Lisbon. But I would have to side with you on this one. Both players cost Portugal the victory. So either you're friggin' psychic or just brilliant.

Lomes said:
Our best players in my opinion? Not Baia. As well as he played against Korea, he cost Portugal in the opening minutes of the U.S. match. Also, I've seen Ricardo and Quim make saves from blistering shots from a close range in many of our qualifiers. I'm sure Ricardo is looking at the footage and says "I could've saved that". Sure, Baia wasn't at fault but safer hands may have prevented the goal against Korea.

No arguing that Pauleta was the best in the tournament.

As for Rui, his presence on the pitch against the U.S. was invaluable. He helped keep possesion against a rugged U.S midfield. Against Poland he was also valuable.

But let honourable mention go to Paulo Bento who I thought was our best player against South Korea. One thing I noticed that Portugal lacked was the will the run until you just can't take it. As if your life depended on it. The Koreans did it. Portugal did not. They instead relied on the possesion game that we know them to play. It didn't work. Instead of Portuguese players trying to win on-on-one challenges against the Koreans like they tried to do, Paulo Bento simply went at them. Won the ball without conceding fouls and cleared at. SIMPLE.

No need to elaborate against the Koreans. They don't give you room to. Beto wants to be like Maldini and tackle without getting fouled. I have news for ya Beto: Maldini was learning those tackles from his Pappa when he was 4 years old!! So stop trying to emulate him 'cause you'll never be Maldini. You'll simply foul.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts