Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quincy Owusu-Abeyie sat in his Amsterdam home two years ago contemplating life among the unemployed. The Dutch-born son of Ghanaian parents was just 16 when he was released by Ajax, and his file after nine years at the club might well have read, "Talented - but he's trouble".

Quincy is the first to admit his reputation. "I had problems with the coaches at Ajax - and it was my fault, not theirs," he said.

"It was me, I was the problem. The coaches would say something to me and I always had to say something back. I couldn't blame Ajax for letting me go. And my experience there made me grow up. I realised I couldn't be the same person I was at Ajax."

Clubs in Holland were reluctant to offer him a way back into the game and he knew he would have to look abroad. A trial with Arsenal was arranged by his advisors and, to his surprise, they took him on. "To be given a second chance, that was great," said Quincy. "But to get it at Arsenal, the English club I supported as a kid, well I didn't believe it. What a second chance to get."

One person not surprised by Quincy's success is head of youth development Liam Brady.

He liked the sound of Quincy having "talent". If that was proven, he felt, the club could work on everything else. The skill was indeed evident and it was then that Quincy was told what was expected of Arsenal players.

The advice he ignored at Ajax he opted to take at Highbury.

And he showed just how well he has absorbed the information when he impressed in an intense and highly physical FA Cup fifth-round replay against Sheffield United this week.

He came on as substitute for 17-year-old Italian Arturo Lupoli and proceeded to leave the Yorkshire club's defenders chasing shadows.

"He was outstanding," said manager Arsene Wenger of the 18-year-old striker.

"I used to be too elaborate when I had the ball and I am more direct now," said Quincy, who at times last season looked like he was auditioning for a part in Riverdance with his fancy footwork.

"I still do the step-overs but when they count," he said. "Whatever the coach tells you, you must do it."

His preferred role is wide up front on the left from where he can cut inside and make full use of his natural right-footed strengths. If that is reminiscent of Thierry Henry, it is no coincidence.

"I knew about Titi [Henry] even before I came to Arsenal," he said. "My father always called me in to watch him when he was on television playing for Monaco. He said he was a great young player - and he was right. And when I stayed with a friend in London, who lived out by Heathrow, he was always saying I played like him."

On the streets of Amsterdam, in his formative years, Quincy's role model was Patrick Kluivert, now with Newcastle, and Arsenal can only benefit from an amalgam of those two tremendous talents.

It might be assumed that a headstrong youngster dumped by the club he supported would have been left bitter and twisted by his fate. But Quincy still feels grateful.

"What happened there was down to me and I can't turn my back on them and say they are a bad club," he said. "I was there nine years and it was Ajax who started me off with ball skills and technique."

On the evidence of Tuesday night, Quincy must have listened at least some of the time to his Ajax mentors.

-----------------------------------------

might as well start hyping up our new sensation, is he better than C.Ronaldo and Robben ?

will he dethrone Johan Cruyff as the greatest Dutchmen that ever lived ???

these are the questions i want answered :D

·
Registered
59,136 Posts
ahh nothing much, the next Glen Helder I say :D

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wally said:
ahh nothing much, the next Glen Helder I say :D
he's already surpassed Glen Helder in the fact that Quincy has played 3 good games for the Arsenal and Glen only played 2 good ones. :D

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teddy Bear said:
I was expecting someone different when i read the thread title :D

Legend :D

our Quincy certainly diagnoses the cause of death in defences and goes through them with surgical precision.

maybe we can start singing the Quincy theme tune at the Arsenal, it was certainly a good un.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
He will definetly be among the best IMO, hes not better than those other 2, but there not MUCH better than him either, he Made those defenders chase him as if they were facing HENRY

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
:eekani::eekani::eekani:
Don't be so surprised Jern, you posted the article, didn't you read it aswell? Quincy's the best thing that has happend the football world since Pelé :D

Ohh, I just realised Twayka sad "not better" :wallbang:
What are you thinking with Twayka, he's the best ever!
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

;)

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
Wakky said:
Don't be so surprised Jern, you posted the article, didn't you read it aswell? Quincy's the best thing that has happend the football world since Pelé :D

Ohh, I just realised Twayka sad "not better" :wallbang:
What are you thinking with Twayka, he's the best ever!
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

;)

Hehehe, i am sorry, i thought better than henry and pires, not thoses shitheads :thumbsup: :tongue:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Twayka said:
Hehehe, i am sorry, i thought better than henry and pires, not thoses shitheads :thumbsup: :tongue:
:thumbsup:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice one Nauan :thmbup:

I just love that run he did against Everton for Lupoli's 1st goal, he looked like he was going to fall on his arse. :D

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
QUINCY READY TO PARTNER HENRY
Click here for more Arsenal news

Arsene Wenger is ready to plunge Quincy Owusu-Abeyie into Barclays Premiership action against Portsmouth on Saturday after his dazzling display in the FA Cup.

The Dutch teenager injected life into a low-spirited Arsenal team upon his arrival as a substitute against Sheffield United on Tuesday evening.

Now, the 18-year-old striker could win a place in the starting line-up for the visit of Pompey to Highbury, possibly as partner to Thierry Henry.

Henry is fighting the Achilles injury which meant he missed the Bramall Lane tussle, which the Gunners won on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.

But with Dennis Bergkamp and Jose Antonio Reyes both ruled out by their suspensions, Quincy may well get the nod over Robin van Persie, who returns from a ban. If Henry is unfit, Van Persie could partner Quincy.

"You have a very good chance of seeing Quincy over the weekend," Wenger told Arsenal PLUS, "especially with the number of strikers we have out."

Wenger is giving Henry every chance to prove his fitness, however next week's Champions League tie against Bayern Munich may factor in his team selection process.

"At the moment, there is a big fatigue factor for the players who have played all the games," said Wenger.

"Patrick Vieira and Freddie Ljungberg should be alright but Ashley Cole has a hamstring problem and I might rest him on Saturday. Also Pascal Cygan has a problem with his groin."

Meanwhile, the agent of Belgian international Silvio Proto claims Arsenal are locked in a race for his client along with Premiership rivals Manchester United.

Alatta said: "Arsenal and Manchester United are fighting for him. Silvio is also the most wanted player in Belgium.

"Almost all clubs in Italy love him. Palermo even made a bid for him but Porto prefers a move to England.

"Manchester United and Arsenal have started a war for him. Both have seen him several times and are very impressed."

Proto is contracted to La Louviere until next year but a clause within his deal allows him to quit for a cut-price £440,000.

Almunia, meanwhile, has found himself at the centre of another storm after labelling Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho as "arrogant".

Almunia spoke out after witnessing Mourinho's 'silence' gesture during last Sunday's Carling Cup final against Liverpool.

Mourinho was sent off by the fourth official and had to watch the rest of the final on TV after he reacted to Steven Gerrard's own-goal equaliser at the Millennium Stadium by striding down the touchline and pressing a finger to his lips.

Mourinho claimed his actions were aimed at the media on the opposite side of the stadium, but outraged Liverpool fans behind the dug-out thought otherwise.

The Football Association reminded Mourinho about his responsibilities yesterday but stopped short of punishing him.

However, Almunia was not impressed by the Portuguese's conduct.

Almunia told Catalan newspaper El Mundo Deportivo: "I saw the Carling Cup final and he acted arrogantly.

"It is clear that Mourinho believes he is superior to the rest and that his success has gone to his head."

The Spanish goalkeeper is also backing Barcelona to overcome Chelsea in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie with Chelsea next Tuesday.

Barca have a 2-1 advantage going into the game at Stamford Bridge, and Almunia added: "They (Barca) are going to have problems in the return against Chelsea but I have confidence in Barcelona. They have done well this season."

FINALLY!

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
what do u mean he cant shoot?? what evidence do u have of that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts