Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Braga goalkeeper Quim believes he was a victim of double standards over the drugs ban that cost him a World Cup place.

"The press defended Fernando Couto, but didn't have the same attitude towards me. It's because he plays for Lazio," he declared.

Portugal's No 3 keeper was kept waiting to hear the full extent of his ban for nandrolone abuse and insists the time in limbo this season ruined his chances of going to the Far East.

"Of course I would have been in the squad," he fumed. "I was involved in the entire qualifying phase - five matches in the starting line-up and another five on the bench.

"There has been a stigma from the moment the positive result of the drugs test was announced.

"But the delay was the crucial issue. I could be going to the World Cup if there hadn't been so many doubts and if the judgement had fallen earlier. It was a case full of delays without explanation."

Several former coaches backed the keeper and he hoped their evidence would ensure a lenient sentence.

The 26-year-old, who has made 12 international appearances, still denies taking nandrolone and Braga claim the amount of the substance found in his urine was too small for a reliable reading.

But Quim only completed a three-month ban for using the banned substance on Wednesday.

He played his first match back when he took part in Monday's friendly against Deportivo La Coruna, but will have to wait until next season for competitive action.

Couto, who faced a similar charge in Italy, was cleared to go to the World Cup when his ban was slashed from ten months to four months in September. "The treatment was unequal in every sense," said Quim.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Well, Lazio is not exactly a favorite of the Italian sports press. There wasn't much of a defense of Couto there, maybe in Portugal there was. But not in Italy.

And I don't know what Quim is talking about when he says the treatment was unequal, and makes it seem that Couto was better of the he. After all Quim only got a three month ban, while Couto got ten months (later reduced to four, but stil more than Quim).

It sounds to me like a case of sour grapes, because Couto was selected for the WC an he wasn't.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If Quim only received 3 months he was available !!!
Yeah but I feel for the guy , something is wrong with supplements these days & we have seen innocent victims , not only Couto & Quim ( what use is roids to a keeper :confused: )
But Couto in a sense was in the same boat as Quim but it was a shame for the latter to be victimised so close to the WC.
I swear no one can imagine his pain now :(

·
International
5,629 Posts
Quim was the victim of a powerplay...Simple as that. He's the second best Portuguese Goal Keeper in PORTUGAL, and he's NOT in the WC. :rolleyes:

Something is definately up. WTF is NELSON doing there. That guy is horrible compared to Quim...never mind Baia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts