Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... I'm a sports journalist here in Macedonia and I am writing an article about Juventus. I need an information.

How did Juventus FC got the nickname "The Old Lady" (La Vecchia Signora on Italian I think?!) ???

·
Registered
724 Posts
when juventus came to abu dhabi ahmad el tayeb asked moogi wy they call it old lady he say that it was respect to juve because in italy old lady is used for respect like in arabic we say "set el koll"

·
Registered
301 Posts
You heard wrong. The term "seven sisters" was first used by Carlo Mazzone in the mid/late 90's. It is itself a calque of ENI chairman Enrico Mattei's expression, who used it to describe the oligarchy formed by the 7 biggest oil companies in the 60's/70's (Standard Oil, BP, SOCAL, Gulf, Mobil, Texaco, Royal Dutch Shell). Hence, unless you started following football in the late 90's, you'd know that the expression "Old Lady" was coined long before the short-lived myth of the Seven Sisters of Italian football.

As for the origin of the term "Old Lady" itself, I think I dealt with it on Juventuz, so try and retrieve the post when the forum is up again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kaiser Franco said:
You heard wrong. The term "seven sisters" was first used by Carlo Mazzone in the mid/late 90's. It is itself a calque of ENI chairman Enrico Mattei's expression, who used it to describe the oligarchy formed by the 7 biggest oil companies in the 60's/70's (Standard Oil, BP, SOCAL, Gulf, Mobil, Texaco, Royal Dutch Shell). Hence, unless you started following football in the late 90's, you'd know that the expression "Old Lady" was coined long before the short-lived myth of the Seven Sisters of Italian football.

As for the origin of the term "Old Lady" itself, I think I dealt with it on Juventuz, so try and retrieve the post when the forum is up again.
Hey, you're here. Well that's something, I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts