Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may i have a small question about your relationship with espanyol? it is not wonder if you see a similar thread in the basque forum. each time i watch the barcelona derby between rcdespanyol and fcbarcelona, the weaker side, say espanyol, can always play out of their potential as to surprise. teams in a derby would try their best to fight for the victory. so i wanna know what is that outside the field? is still that hostile between their fans and clubs? would their clubs help each other? how you barcelonistas think of espanyol this club and their fans? for catalunya, spaniard born in barcelona, why you support barca, but not espanyol? you why they support espanyol, but not barca?

i ask so just for my curiosity without other intention. thanks in advance. :)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Real said:
may i have a small question about your relationship with espanyol? it is not wonder if you see a similar thread in the basque forum. each time i watch the barcelona derby between rcdespanyol and fcbarcelona, the weaker side, say espanyol, can always play out of their potential as to surprise. teams in a derby would try their best to fight for the victory. so i wanna know what is that outside the field? is still that hostile between their fans and clubs? would their clubs help each other? how you barcelonistas think of espanyol this club and their fans? for catalunya, spaniard born in barcelona, why you support barca, but not espanyol? you why they support espanyol, but not barca?

i ask so just for my curiosity without other intention. thanks in advance. :)
FC Barcelona was the first football club of the city (1899) and it was founded by catalonians, but also for other foreigners, being the most important Joan Gamper (Swiss).

RCD Español was created a year later. They only had Spanish people.

Since the begining there was a big rivalry. At that time, FC Barcelona was driven by textile businessmen linked with the conservative side of the Catalonian nationalism (Lliga Regionalista). On the other hand, RCD Español was always loyal to the Madrid regime.

The Barça managers always wanted to link the team with the city and Catalunya. The club always contributed to the catalonian culture. Barça always carried, since the very begining, the flag of Catalunya. In those times, Español grew as rival, the matches among the 2 teams were violent in the field and in the stands. They were not the only teams of Barcelona, others historicals like Europa, Jupiter, Hispania, etc. were competing with them.

Español had strong connections with the Spanish regimes with a big influence in the referees organizations and the footballs organizations of this era. Barça had a big economical power because of the strong social base, while Espanyol had extra-sport help. Barça began to be the Catalunya "Army" against the agressions of the Setmana Tràgica and other repressions from Madrid.

In 1923, during the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera, the club was closed by the Spanish Government during 6 months because the Barcelona crowd booed the Royal Anthem (Spanish Anthem). Big names of Espanyol were behind all this.

So, at that time, Barça was already the symbol of the catalanism and the democracy, while Español was the symbol of the Spanish regimes. Big names of the Spanish Army in Catalunya were known Españolistas.

All this rivalry still exists, but Barcelona became one of the big teams of Spain when La Liga started in 1929, while Espanyol could not stay as the big rival of Barcelona.

The FC Barcelona has always symbolized the catalanism, during all Franco's dictatorship, while RCD Español has been always the symbol of the Spanish centralism in Barcelona.

When the democracy arrived again in 1975, the catalanism found other logical ways of expression, using political parties and not a football team. But no one forget the strong link between the club and the city and Catalunya. At the same time, I've seen Espanyol fans singing Real Madrid goals in Sarrià like if it were a mini Bernabeu.

RCD Español changed the name to RCD Espanyol (in català), so they've tried to "catalanicize" the club and, currently, I don't link Espanyol with any political tendency. I won't blame them for having the sh!t of nazi ultras they have... because we have ours too.

The rivalry remain, but the size of the derby is not the same as it were at the begining of the century, especially for their weakness.
Anyway, I'd be glad to see them in Segunda.

:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah Koeman has told everything :tongue:

I also dont like them, because of their contacts with Spain government :yuck:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: [Question] Relationship with Espanyol

ViscaBarcaInter said:
We are Aragorn. They are Gollum.

:howler: :D
FCB_Simon said:
Quite an interesting point he/she makes, especially from a non-catalan.
Real is a boy. :cool:

Koeman4 said:
Anyway, I'd be glad to see them in Segunda.

from the above one sentence, i perfectly know what is going on! :D and your wish will probably be fulfilled this season as they are now in 19th. :sob: really, i never expected that they link with spain government though they are in barcelona. :eek: i supposed they are a club just like barca. i misunderstand them maybe. :rolleyes: :D

special thanks to koeman4. you are one of the best moderators here i have met. you are barcelonista though. :devil:;)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
spAd! said:
Briefly living with the few of them on the same city must be like a pain in the a$$ innit Koeman?:D
Don't worry. You never see them in the center of the city. The only time you spot an Espanyol supporter is if you pass Montjuic a night when they play.

·
Registered
967 Posts
they were formed from stuck up middle class men, they dont care bout Catalunya so why speak in Catalan?? i havent seen many in Barcelona, must live in cracks in the floor around the place! my opinion was that La Sarria was better, bit more passion but we still won! :D

who remembers Bakero's volley against Espanyol?? 88-89 i think, not sure!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
spAd! said:
Briefly living with the few of them on the same city must be like a pain in the a$$ innit Koeman?:D
As Robban says, Espanyol fans are a minority in Barcelona, most of them immigrants from other regions of Spain with madridista background who support Espanyol just for their antibarcelonismo.

Originally posted by Real
from the above one sentence, i perfectly know what is going on! and your wish will probably be fulfilled this season as they are now in 19th. really, i never expected that they link with spain government though they are in barcelona. i supposed they are a club just like barca. i misunderstand them maybe.

special thanks to koeman4. you are one of the best moderators here i have met. you are barcelonista though.
Thanx for your words...

I'm not sure about seeing them in Segunda, they are recovering now... indeed, I don't care much. If they stay in Primera, we'll kick their asses just as every year.

As I told you in my first posts, their connections with Madrid and the anti-catalonian governments of the begining of the century and the Franquism (Juan A. Samaranch, ex-president of CIO and member of Falange -the fascist party of Franco-, was recognized by his espanyolism) has disappeared. Politics have their own channels. But the tradition remains. Barça is trying to recover those links with Catalunya lost during Núñez and Gaspart's time (both linked with the conservative nationalist Spanish party of PP).

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Koeman4 said:
As Robban says, Espanyol fans are a minority in Barcelona, most of them immigrants from other regions of Spain with madridista background who support Espanyol just for their antibarcelonismo.
I just want to add something to what "Koeman4" said. When we play them in Camp Nou, the few Espanyol supporterts who dares to come always screams "Real Madrid, Real Madrid" and other stupid things. The bar which I went to outside my former university was an Espanyol-supporter and he said that he was it just because he came from another part of Spain and therefor he enjoyed Madrid more than Barcelona, but still wanted a team to follow here so Espanyol became his choise. There're also catalan people who follows Espanyol just because they don't like Barça. It can be that simple.

For all you who wants to see "un hincha de Espanyol" in real life should go to Plaça Reial and visit their fan bar there. Bring your cameras!;)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
i don't like them, i never like them, they are the same as real madrid, i don't hate as much as i hate real madrid but it's close, i will like to see them in second division, but i'm affair that this ilusion will not be this year, they are improving.
the relationship between fans of the two clubs now is cold, both still wants the worst for the other, but derbies are not as before, because the situation of the clubs, and more overall espanyol situation in relation with barça, last year the derbi brings some emotion just because barça was very close to relegations position of the table and they could sent us to relegation position, were they were at that moment.
and about his name they changes the español by espanyol for to be more catalan but they are still rcd d comes from deportivo, and i think is not a catalan word it should be esportiu, so it should be rce espanyol

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
Last year's derby atmosphere must have been hot though,right?(i'm talking about the one in Montjuic where we won)

I remember reading in Sport about their provocations and passion all week because if we lose we'd reach the relegation zone:eek: :(

Yet they lost again:tongue:

In sporting level there can be no rivalry though.They've just won one cup in their history if i'm not wrong and they always suck.I remember when i first heard about them many years ago in a young age,being shocked that there is another Barcelona team in Primera other than FCB and i was like "who are they"

The look of the always empty and huge Montjuic is one of the worst in La Liga

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is shocked that their fans support espanyol just for they don't like barca and support real madrid. :proud::cool: maybe i have to give some support to them. :D:rolleyes:

spAd! said:
.I remember when i first heard about them many years ago in a young age,being shocked that there is another Barcelona team in Primera other than FCB and i was like "who are they"

The look of the always empty and huge Montjuic is one of the worst in La Liga
huh! are you catalunya? if so, you should know them. if not, why you seem so familiar with the history? :confused: yup, their stadium is never full. you can go there to want more space to breath. :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Real said:
it is shocked that their fans support espanyol just for they don't like barca and support real madrid. :proud::cool: maybe i have to give some support to them. :D:rolleyes:

huh! are you catalunya? if so, you should know them. if not, why you seem so familiar with the history? :confused: yup, their stadium is never full. you can go there to want more space to breath. :D
obviosly there are fans of espanyol that are just fans of espanyol,and don't support real madrid but you can not be a espanyol fan and say that you want a victory of barça, the same as real madrid fans. they hate barça.
if espanyol were as bigger as atletico maybe it would be more espanyol fans that actualy they are, but i think those fans that just hate one team and need to support a team because they like football in barcelona now days are going more to support real madrid than espanyol.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know we are supposed to hate them, but I half-admire them at the same time. It must not be easy to be a fan when one is surrounded by millions of fans of your greatest rivals, who are 100X as successful and 100X as famous which means they are constantly in the shadows. It must take some effort to be a supporter of Espanyol, it takes none to be a supporter of Barça. So I sort of admire them in a way!

But I still hope they get beat every week :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've read some things here that I would like to clarify. First of all, it's not true that all Espanyol fans don't feel Catalan, in fact one friend of mine is fan of Espanyol and he feels very Catalan. What I mean is that you can't generalize about that. They're a small team compared with us and they want to see us losing, so supporting Real Madrid as their second team is normal because it's our greatest rival. I'm not defending them, I also want to see Espanyol in Segunda next year.

By the way, the Montjuic Stadium is not owned by Espanyol, it's property of the city and they 'rent' it. It's not full because there are about 55,000 seats in the stadium and the usual attendance is about 20,000 or less. They're building a new stadium for 2005 or 2006 I believe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts