Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may i ask questions about the relationship between erreala and bilbao and osasuna? i mean this in football and of course you can talk even more about it. i would love to listen to. :) let me begin from that of milan this italy capital. we all know in football it is a derby between inter and milan. and each time in it they would try their best to capture the victory over the other. the atmosphere becomes extremely hostile at the moment. meanwhile, after that, they from time return to be friendly as unexpected. and even their fans are close to each other. club and club there are players' transfers frequently.

on the field, none would be jovial, even a game in a game in the same region e.g. between bilbao and erreala. but what about the relationship outside the field? will the relationship between erreala and bilbao and osasuna be as close as that between inter and milan?

i read your info. discovering some of you like even more than one of these three major basque teams. is it no contradiction? as you know none likes both real and barca. if any, one must not dare to announce that. as he knows he will face uncertainty then. :cool:

my questions are what is the relationship between clubs, between fans in the region from views of people inside and outside basque. thanks in advance. i ask so just for my curiosity without other intention. :) more details are welcome!

·
4,421 Posts
Me, want all Basque teams to win, of course Athletic first, at least untill we have our own league. But it's not only a racional think, I also feel it. It's the same for example that a Italian want all Itallian teams to win in European conpetitions :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The Basque teams generally have more of a rivalry probably but the Depor fans and Athletic fans have a great relationship. When the Riazor Blues existed, they used to sit together with the Basques, didn't they?:cool:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BioJedi said:
Me, want all Basque teams to win, of course Athletic first, at least untill we have our own league. But it's not only a racional think, I also feel it. It's the same for example that a Italian want all Itallian teams to win in European conpetitions :)
when the basque national team play? i see their shirts, but never see them play.

bailemos said:
The Basque teams generally have more of a rivalry probably but the Depor fans and Athletic fans have a great relationship. When the Riazor Blues existed, they used to sit together with the Basques, didn't they?:cool:
the riazor blues now disappeared for the accident. :( so were you the member? please tell me more about this organization.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
bailemos said:
Riazor Blues disappeared, but don't they have another name now? I see another banner in their place lately... the Torcida something, I can't recall. Aren't they the same people?:confused:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
It´s true that the basque derbies are different than the rest in the league. There´s a feeling of brothership between the fans. I mean, even if the game it´s at night, since the morning you have both teams fans passing the day together in the streets, drinking, singing... they go together to the stadium and they seat together, both clubs fans mixed inside the stadium, they are not separated as in the rest of the derbies. Once the game starts, eveyone cheers his team of course, but not with a real hostile attitude with the rival, more jokes than anything else. It´s a strange image, for example in San Mamés with the sets so close to the field, when a team scores a goal you see half of the people standing up celebrating, and the other staying seated, but since they are all mixed it´s quite funny. When the game ends, everyone to celebrate again, the winners and the loosers together.

It has always been like this, probably in the past there was more "brothership" but well, the tradition continues. It´s a cultural thing with a political connotation, I always prefer a basque club to do well, I have my favourites and other ones I don´t like much but I always prefer a basque club to win than another one, as Bio said, it´s like an italian supporting another italian team in CL.

One easy example, when there´s a basque derby in the last games of the season, and one of the teams isn´t fighting for anything, normally the other team wins. Even the fans support the "rival" team, as happened 2 seasons ago in Anoeta, with all the stadium cheering Osasuna in the last game of the season, where Osasuna was fighting for relegation. You can even see players saying sorry to the fans in one of those games after scoring a goal, De Pedro against Alavés for example. They don´t let the rival team win, they´re professionals but obiously there´s a considerable lack of motivation in one of the teams. Last season, a lot of Athletic fans wanted Athletic to beat Madrid not only to enter in UEFA but also to help Erreala win the league etc.. spaniards hate when these things happen, ask Oviedo fans.:D:tongue:

It´s always like this? no. There are minorities who promote violence in these games, but noone pays much attention to them. Normally, when something happens between the clubs (when Etxebe signed for Athletic for example), or when a player, president or coach heats up the game, (normally a non basque) there´s more tension between the fans but it has nothing to do with other derbies. The fact that the most radicals group of fans from the basque teams are friends, and even form a group (euskal hintxak) helps a lot the absence of violence. It´s true that lately things were getting a bit worse, but fortunately I think it´s getting better in the last couple of years, I went to San Mamés against Erreala this season, and I didn´t see anything strange, just a great party.

bailemos said:
Yes, there were links between Riazor Blues and HNT, the games against Depor are something similar to the derbies, fans sit together and all. Actually Riazor is the stadium where Athletic is best received, same thing goes for Depor in San Mamés.

W

·
0 Posts
You have explained this well as i also feel that special bond with other Basque teams, and it is also great how the fans can sit together (Something you could never expect here in England:( ) My only rivals for Athletic are Atletico :devil:, Galacticos :rollani:, Valladolid :yuck: and Betis really

I also love the relationship that Athletic and other Basque teams have with Rayo Vallecano, as you see a lot of Basque's playing for them (Bolo for instance).

So what happens when Athletic play say for example one of the rivals i mentioned above, Is their segrogation?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Wimps said:
So what happens when Athletic play say for example one of the rivals i mentioned above, Is their segrogation?
There´s good relationship with the left winged or non political fans. Basque fans are well received in Coruña, Vigo, Vallecas, Canarias or Cádiz. And well, normally the fans mix, depends on the game. But the derbies and the games against galician teams are special on this topic imo.

W

·
0 Posts
So what happens when we play one of the madrid teams?:confused: Appart from a lot of this:fero: :stress: :mad: :devil:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Wimps said:
So what happens when we play one of the madrid teams?:confused: Appart from a lot of this:fero: :stress: :mad: :devil:
If you go to Bernabeu or Calderón you must be careful outside the stadium if you go with a basque team shirt or scarf, it´s not recomendable to go alone. Inside the stadium, if you go to the away team fans part you shoudn´t have problems, if you seat between Madrid fans (not ultrasurs or frente atlético of course:rolleyes: )it depends, nothing should happen, you have nice people and idiots over there, I suppose it´s a matter of luck.

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
How about your relationship with Barça?How are Basques or cules received in Camp Nou or San Mames/Anoeta?Are there any Barça fans in Euskadi?Is there any competition between Catalunya and Basque country?

I mean both Euskadi and Catalunya are regions with many things in common,everybody knows what these are but i believe there's no friendship between basque teams and Barça.I actually think athletic fans dislike Barça a lot and the opposite,not like Madrid though.

Perhaps it has to do with Barça buying basque players?I've seen Âar$a quite a few times in this forum:D

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
spAd! said:
How about your relationship with Barça?How are Basques or cules received in Camp Nou or San Mames/Anoeta?Are there any Barça fans in Euskadi?Is there any competition between Catalunya and Basque country?

I mean both Euskadi and Catalunya are regions with many things in common,everybody knows what these are but i believe there's no friendship between basque teams and Barça.I actually think athletic fans dislike Barça a lot and the opposite,not like Madrid though.

Perhaps it has to do with Barça buying basque players?I've seen Âar$a quite a few times in this forum:D
Barça and Athletic were rivals for years, there wasn´t let´s say a "political rivalry" as happened with Madrid, but a typicall rivalry between 2 top clubs as in other countries in Europe, fans disliked the rival but respected it. As you say Catalunya and Euskadi have things in common, so during hard years there was a camaraderie feeling, a way of joining forces against a "common enemy".

The rivalry increased in the 80s, there was much more tension, you probably remember the Maradona-Goikoetxea incident, the battle between the players after the 84 cup final, those games were wars. But still there was that feeling I told you, for example in that cup final, both clubs fans whistled the spanish anthem together before the game.:angel:

Barça started siging basque players.....a lot of basque players and that time coincided with the worst years of basque clubs in the last times, Erreala started signing foreigneers and Athletic had IMO a Segunda team in terms of quality for a couple of years, only the cojones of the players and the hell of San Mamés saved us from relegation. Coincidence or not fingers were pointed to Barcelona (and to Bilbao by some donostiarras). People were divided, some proud of watching basque stars in the best team in the world, the dream team, others mad with Barça thinking what could be of their club with those players. I have to say that everyone respected Barça during that time and since it was the only rival of Madrid, people supported it in a way. Nowadays Barça is a rival of both Athletic and Erreala, but I perceive indiference, Barça is a big historic team but I don´t think people here pays more attention to them than other rivals as Atlético or Betis.

Yes there are a lot of Barça fans in Euskadi. You see Barça shirts in the streets, ,much more than Madrid for sure. Well, maybe Madrid fans are afraid of going out with it.:fero::D And I don´t know if it´s a coincidence but I know a lot of cases of giputxis:D having Barça as their second team after Erreala, I don´t know any of this cases between Athletic fans. Pretty interesting because some of them are also anti-Athletic because they say we steal their players.:confused:

Barça fans are well received in basque stadiums, they seat mixed with the people, Boixos are not. I don´t know if same thing happens in Camp Nou, at least with Athletic fans,I´ve not heard good stories, although I haven´t visited it to see Athletic so can´t comment on it, sometimes minorities give a bad name to a whole group.

My personal opinion? I respect Barça, it´s an historic team which has fought for freedom in the past, when I was a kid I liked to watch the dream team, and it was the only option against Madrid so I prefered barça to win. But is you ask if I like it... I don´t really like Barça, but that´s probably because I don´t like big teams, there´s always a halo of prepotence between their fans, nothing compared to Madrid, but still.. I also don´t like that every time there´s a basque player doing well, he´s rumored for Barça. I don´t like how Arteta was signed, I don´t like the people that has managed it lately, especially how they don´t almost give opportunities to catalans while signing second level players in a club with a tradition as Barça´s (although this is probably changing), but I don´t have anything against Barça, the club. From the top teams I only like Depor, and I dislike Valencia more than Barça so...(appart from Madrid obiously).:yuck:

·
40,147 Posts
Txupa said:
Barça and Athletic were rivals for years, there wasn´t let´s say a "political rivalry" as happened with Madrid, but a typicall rivalry between 2 top clubs as in other countries in Europe, fans disliked the rival but respected it. As you say Catalunya and Euskadi have things in common, so during hard years there was a camaraderie feeling, a way of joining forces against a "common enemy".

Barça fans are well received in basque stadiums, they seat mixed with the people, Boixos are not. I don´t know if same thing happens in Camp Nou, at least with Athletic fans,I´ve not heard good stories, although I haven´t visited it to see Athletic so can´t comment on it, sometimes minorities give a bad name to a whole group.
I think Athletic and Erreala fans are respected in general in Barcelona. I know that Boixos Nois doesn't like Athletic fans, but I think they don't represent the Barcelona supporters, but it's true that the make lot of noise and perhaps some Athletic fans didn't feel comfortable at the Camp Nou. I think Erreala has a better receivement in Barcelona.

Athletic has always been a rival, since the first matches of football in the Spanish state, Athletic and Barça had been big rivals. Perhaps lately it's less because the economical power of Barça have made to grow the differences between the 2 clubs, in general. Still there's a big tradition of rivalry, but I think there is a big respect between both institutions.

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
Thanks Txupa(and Koeman4) about your comments.

Actually you said things how i suspected them to be but i wasn't totally sure,its really irritating to hear clubs with more money knocking your door frequently and with the bloody agents nowadays its even more

As for Depor,unless you're a Celta fan it's impossible to dislike this team,i don't know if there are sensible football fans from Spain or outside who don't like Depor for what they've managed to do in the last years

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
spAd! said:
Thanks Txupa(and Koeman4) about your comments.

Actually you said things how i suspected them to be but i wasn't totally sure,its really irritating to hear clubs with more money knocking your door frequently and with the bloody agents nowadays its even more

As for Depor,unless you're a Celta fan it's impossible to dislike this team,i don't know if there are sensible football fans from Spain or outside who don't like Depor for what they've managed to do in the last years
Well outside of Spain I don't think Man Utd fans like Depor much, mostly because of the Tristan - Beckham and Duscher - Beckham incidents. Otherwise I would say that they are respected outside of Spain.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
How is the relationship between Santander and Basques? I imagine it should be bad after that ETA bomb the other year, although that doesn't stop man united's love affair with catholics after the IRA bombed manchester (although most man united fans aren't from manchester so won't bear a grudge). I know us Manchester City fans dislike catholics a fair amount and our fans support rangers in scotland.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
spAd! said:
I like Depor because I like their fans, I like Galiza and I have a lot of respect for some of their players.

Deportivo is a respected club, but as every club it has its haters. If you want to find reasons to dislike Depor you can find them, as for every club in the league. Starting by the point that Fran is the only galego in the team or the rumours of the (drugs) origin of Lendoiro´s money invested in Depor. That hasn´t been proved, it´s true that if you compare the number of socios with the budget of the club things don´t match, Lendoiro puts money but to accuse someone you must prove it. And that brings us to another possible reason to dislike Depor, is there life after Lendoiro? I mean, does Depor have an enough solid social support to stay in those places even without Lendoiro?

·
40,147 Posts
The Green One said:
How is the relationship between Santander and Basques? I imagine it should be bad after that ETA bomb the other year, although that doesn't stop man united's love affair with catholics after the IRA bombed manchester (although most man united fans aren't from manchester so won't bear a grudge). I know us Manchester City fans dislike catholics a fair amount and our fans support rangers in scotland.

~ The Green ;)ne
I'm not Basque, but ETA has bombed everywhere. I think that the greatest ETA action was in Barcelona... and not for this we hate the Basques. We know who is ETA (btw, today more than ever) and we know that a great majority of the Basques don't support them.

Of course, I am sure that Santander (like other cities of Spain) have some idiots that make no difference between ETA and Basques with the only purpose of insulting. But I think there is big differences with other cities.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The Green One said:

~ The Green ;)ne
Well, hating basque teams because of eta is pretty stupid, but there´s people for everything, we get insulted by the ultras in most of la liga stadiums so we´re used to it, i don´t care. Racing ultras are a bunch of idiots who wait basque fans buses with stones in the exit of the highway, there were a lot of problems in last season´s Racing-Erreala, there were fights between their ultras and peña mujika. Santander is a curious city, they have a statue of Franco.:rolleyes::yuck: I think one of the reasons of the fight was that peña mujika members did something to the statue,:D i don´t remember, was it?

Anyway, there´s a curious relationship between Racing and Athletic, Racing is the only good team in Cantabria, they don´t have any team around to have a derby with, the are alone, on one side they have Oviedo vs Sporting, on the other they have Athletic vs Erreala. I don´t know why, but looks like one day they decided their derby was going to be against Athletic, maybe because Bilbao is close to Santander, maybe because there are a lot of people from Bilbao that live or pass their holidays there, I don´t know but the fact is that their derby is against Athletic, while Athletic fans don´t even know it.

In el sardinero last season they gave some papers before the game saying things like "here´s our big rival! the game of the season!" things like that, there was a special hostile atmosphere and they sang the "a segunda" song to Athletic fans when they were winning 3-1, in the end Athletic won 3-4.:cool:

Athletic´s important games are vs Madrid, Atlético or Barça, the important derby is against Erreala and there are other derbies against Osasuna or Alavés but not Racing. For an Athletic fan is definately more important the game against Osasuna than the game against Racing, even if Santander is closer to Bilbao than Iruñea.

I think that´s the reason Athletic has a bad historical record with Racing, they play extremely motivated while for us is just another game, it´s not prepotence, just that we don´t see Racing as a historic rival or as a derby.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Txupa said:
The rivalry increased in the 80s, there was much more tension, you probably remember the Maradona-Goikoetxea incident, the battle between the players after the 84 cup final, those games were wars. But still there was that feeling I told you, for example in that cup final, both clubs fans whistled the spanish anthem together before the game.:angel:
Who was Goikoetxea? My Chinese teacher long long time ago when I was still in preimary mentioned one player who played violently in Bilbao. :confused:

spAd! said:
Celta fans don't like Depor? I don't think so. As you know each year these two teams qroup together in the Euskadi team to play a friendly match. Maybe their relationship is not as bad as we think.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts