Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a long shot on goal, an attacker and a defender are running to get the ball but the keeper gets it before... if while the keeper has the ball in his hands the defender tackles the attacker in the area... is it a pk?

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you pls stop ruining my thread...
I am serious, if you can't answer than leave.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
no, thats a off the ball incedent.

if there is a foul depending on country i guess and its refreereeeing skills a yellow might be shown to the offending player. depends on the harshness of the tackle, if it leaves the player in a right mess but not a drogba rolling on the floor kinda mess...*leaves* im blabbing now.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My opinion is that a penalty can not be awarded because the ball is not in play. You can give either a yellow card or red card according to the harshness of the foul, but a PK can not be given. This (Argentinian) moron at the bar was arguing that it is a pk because the ball, according to him, is still in play since the keeper has 6 seconds to kick the ball away.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
There is a long shot on goal, an attacker and a defender are running to get the ball but the keeper gets it before... if while the keeper has the ball in his hands the defender tackles the attacker in the area... is it a pk?
It is. If the ball is in the goalkeeper's hands, the game is on play. If the defender illegally push the striker or if he taclkes the other one, it's a foul. If it's inside the box, it's a penalty. The game is on unless the ball crosses the borders of the pitch, but it's not the case, as you describe it.

It'd be a stupid penalty, but it'd be a penalty. I saw a couple of examples of this.

Old and famous case. The linesman makes a mistake about the man, but this is a penalty after all. Check it out (sorry about the bad quality):

[tub]MI-iyVIf_YY[/tub]

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is. If the ball is in the goalkeeper's hands, the game is on play. If the defender illegally push the striker or if he taclkes the other one, it's a foul. If it's inside the box, it's a penalty. The game is on unless the ball crosses the borders of the pitch, but it's not the case, as you describe it.
Are you sure 100%? It doesn't sound that convincing. Because if you have the ball inside the pitch and it's a goal kick, the ball is not in play for example.

But in the video, does the foul occur while the ball is traveling or after the goalie got it?

·
40,147 Posts
Are you sure 100%? It doesn't sound that convincing. Because if you have the ball inside the pitch and it's a goal kick, the ball is not in play for example.
Well, if it's a free kick, then the game is not on, of course. But if the goalie has the ball in his hands, the game is on, 100% for sure.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, but if the goalie has the ball and, from what I know, you can not even touch him or it is a foul, then how can it be a penalty or be in play...

·
40,147 Posts
Of course, but if the goalie has the ball and, from what I know, you can not even touch him or it is a foul, then how can it be a penalty or be in play...
You can not stop him or bother him, as you say, it's a foul. But this is a rule that pretends to help the flow of the game. It doesn't mean that the game is not on play. If you bother him while he wants to pass the ball, it's a foul. But it doesn't mean that the game is not on play. So if the goalie has the ball in his hands and a defender punch a striker inside the box 5 mts away from the goalie, it's a penalty... stupid, but a penalty.

I remember a Betis-Barcelona some years ago. Valdés and Dani (Betis' striker) clashed, although the goalkeeper got the ball. Even though it was a clash, Dani had left the boot up to make harm, but the referee didn't say anything, because Valdés got the ball anyway. When Dani was getting up from the floor, Valdés, who had the ball in his hands, pushed Dani... and the ref gave Betis the penalty. I wanted to kill Valdés for his huge stupidity, he had the ball in his hands and he pushed Dani anyway. It has been one of the most stupid actions I've ever seen. Too bad I didn't find the video in youtube.

·
Registered
46,109 Posts
The ball is in play so long as it hasn't gone out of bounds and so long as the referee has not stopped play. In your situation, the ball is on the pitch and it isn't a goal kick or another dead ball situation. So the ball is in play even if it's in the keeper's hands.

See p 30 (.pdf p 33) of FIFA's laws of the game (2008/2009 version):-

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en_55753.pdf

A few years back, Frey was holding the ball in a Serie A match. An opposing player (who Frey didn't know was lurking behind him) ran up, kicked the ball out of his hands and scored a goal. The goal stood. Henry did something similar subsequently but was adjudged to have fouled the keeper. The point is that, in such situations, it is clear that the ball is in play even when it's in the keeper's hands. The only issue is whether the keeper has been fouled (and Frey wasn't fouled in the above situation).

·
Registered
46,109 Posts
No is the answer.
Care to explain why?

My understanding is that, FIFA's rules essentially provide that:-

1) a penalty is awarded for a foul in the penalty area when the ball is in play

2) the ball is in play while the keeper has the ball in his hands in the situation CT described (i.e. in bounds and not a dead-ball situation).

So, unless I've missed something, it's a penalty. Agree with K4.

·
*the drum drum*
43,003 Posts
Koeman4 is correct,

"A penalty kick is awarded against a team commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play."

FIFA Laws of the Game, page 43:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en_55753.pdf

P.S - the ten offences are;

A direct free kick is awared to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
  • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
  • jumps at an opponent
  • charges at an opponent
  • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
  • pushes an opponent
  • tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
  • holds an opponent
  • spits at an opponent
  • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

(Page 35)

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
It will be awarded as a pk CT, it will be the most dumbest penalty ever, but still, a legit pk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts