Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i live in Italy and being literally on the opposite side of the planet, i wonder how football is lived or conceived in Australia and NZ, for ex. if there's many people who plays, watches or talks about football..and if you football fans meet up or watch games inside clubs or pubs..et cetera

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Many do. Australia is a country founded by migrants from Europe: Britain, Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia (Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia) and Poland being the main ones. From there comes the interest in football.

Nearly all of the clubs here were founded by migrants. For years it was the European migrants who followed football, while the Aussies followed their own football. Australia's most successful club side, South Melbourne, were founded by Greek migrants in Melbourne.

Adelaide's clubs were all founded by migrants: Croatia Raiders by Croats; White City by Serbs; Croydon Polonia by Poles; MetroStars and Olympic founded by Greeks; Adelaide City and Campbelltown founded by Italians.

Nowadays a lot of people follow football here, just not the domestic league. It's not just the migrants these days, also the Aussies follow it as well - much more than they used to.

It's not uncommon to see many Juventus, Milan, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Rangers or Celtic replica kits in every city. There's loads of supporters clubs here.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Football is booming in australia i think last year it was the 2nd most popular sport behind Footie and ahead of Cricket and Rugby

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
However, it's absolutely nowhere near like what it is like in Italy. Aussie Rules is the number one sport in Australia and that will never change. Cricket and Rugby are also very popular.

We get a lot of EPL coverage down here.

During World Cup and Euro time, certain parts of the city are packed (in the early hours of the morning). For example, there was thousands of Greek fans watching the final in Lonsdale Street and going nuts, and there is always stacks of Italians at Lygon.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
By the way, it is called soccer down here, no questions asked. It sometimes feels unnatural writing 'football' on these boards when I'm referring to soccer, but it ahs to be done.

·
Banned
65 Posts
You get excellent coverage of football on pay tv(EPL,Serie A,La Liga,Champs League etc) and a bit on the ethnic channel(sort of) SBS.

You don't get hardly any football news in the newspapers but that don't bother me I've got a computer :D

You do get all the English football mags 442,world soccer,etc etc

If you are italian you can get 2/3 day old gazzetta dello sports/etc etc in most major cities.

You don't get too many Aussie locals that follow the game they're more into aussie rules and Rugby league/union but they seem to have a reasonable idea about the worlds game football whoops soccer as they call it :D

I'm an Englishman who lives in Australia and have no trouble following the sport I grew up with so i cant complain....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies, now i've got a more precise idea

I think you have fantastic football local facilities, as well as in America..unluckily in Italy we don't, even though there are some decent ones. The thing i admire more is the fact women football is as popular as male one, but don't know if it happens in australia as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts