Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what is past is past, but I still want to learn how do you guys, the fans of Barca in these forums, rate the team of Cruyff (as a coach), and especially what is your opinion on Hristo Stoichkov and Laudrup?
I apologize in advance if this issue was already considered here, but I really want to hear some opinions for the sake of the old times...

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think that in Cruyff's time Barca played the most beautiful and (at the same time) efficient football.
Stoichkov was one of the best Euro players then and along the great Romario they were murdering everyone (remember 5:0 over Real?).

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I rate the teams of Cruyff as the best, not because of the talent. I believe the talent that we have now is just as good. I see the difference as the way the team made you feel as a fan. The way you always believed in them. I can't say i feel the same way about VG teams. I dare to say that today's players Rivo, Figo, Kluivert, etc. are bigger stars, but the heart doesn't seem to be there.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't make up my mind whether today the players of Barca are bigger stars because football changed much in this five-six years. I considered Romario as the best forward in the world after Marco. Laudrup is one of the most elegant players I have seen (pity he showed that in Madrid also). Stoichkov was a player of a great motivation and speed. And now the players seem more professional (less emotions- i.e. when I see the faces of Zidane or Rivaldo I feel like they belong to those zombie like businessmen).
And Baquero being the heart of this team of Cruyff... Now it's difficult to see a set of such players.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
When you went to the Camp Nou you never know what was going to happen but you suspected it would be something exciting, especially in the season 93-94. I used to watch them from the very top of the stadium and it was like watching a game of pinball; you never knew where the ball would go. Even the last years with Hagi, Prosi, Escaich and company were more exciting than what's happened since Johaan left.
He restored my faith in football after a very boring eighties but Robson and Van Gaal didn't take long in bringing them back

K

·
0 Posts
Not being from Spain i didn't get to see Barca properly until the first season they won La Liga with Cruyff as coach (90-91 season). Having only been exposed to British football until then i was completely amazed by that Barca team. When they counter-attacked it was simply awesome with Bakero spreading pin-point passes all over the place and with Laudrup, Stoichkov, Beguristain etc. attacking from all directions.
I agree with he who said about the defence being one who fought for everything. Koeman was awesome. Pundits always complained that he lacked pace but his reading of the game was so astute, meant it didn't really matter and his passing was second to none. Zubizarreta was one of the best keepers around at the time and a Barca player through and through. We still haven't replaced him properly and he was definetly sold before he should've been.
As the team evolved with Guardiola, Romario, Ferrer, Sergi, Nadal and the rest they became more of a force playing wonderful football with real fight and heart, something Van Gaal failed to achieve even when his team did play great football.

K

·
0 Posts
Not being from Spain i didn't get to see Barca properly until the first season they won La Liga with Cruyff as coach (90-91 season). Having only been exposed to British football until then i was completely amazed by that Barca team. When they counter-attacked it was simply awesome with Bakero spreading pin-point passes all over the place and with Laudrup, Stoichkov, Beguristain etc. attacking from all directions.
I agree with Carlos Miguel who said about the defence being one who fought for everything. Koeman was awesome. Pundits always complained that he lacked pace but his reading of the game was so astute, meant it didn't really matter and his passing was second to none. Zubizarreta was one of the best keepers around at the time and a Barca player through and through. We still haven't replaced him properly and he was definetly sold before he should've been.
As the team evolved with Guardiola, Romario, Ferrer, Sergi, Nadal and the rest they became more of a force playing wonderful football with real fight and heart, something Van Gaal failed to achieve even when his team did play great football.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts