Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run on the treadmill for 90 minutes each weekday, but my soccer competition will be starting soon, and we'll have training on Tuesdays and matches on Saturdays.

1) Since I'm running at an average consistent pace on the treadmill, would it be more beneficial for my soccer game to do more in the way of sprint training? I know that overall fitness is important, but I'm worried that I won't have nearly as much stamina when it comes to the short bursts of speed that are required in a match. Is 90 minutes of regular consistent pace not the best kind of preparation?

2) Should I do such vigorous exercise on Fridays before the match, or rest a little and conserve my energy for the match the next day?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Running at a steady pace will help your general fitness which is vital for football, but may not be the best sort of training for match fitness. I'd say the best training for match fitness is interval training. Basically sprint for a period then drop back to a steady jog, then sprint again etc... You can do this any way you like, setting out cones sprinting from one cone to another then jogging back or even on the treadmill. That way you're sort of simulating a football match.

As for vigorous exercise before a match it all depends on how you feel. Personally I like to conserve, if I run the day before a match I usually feel fatigue in my legs when playing. As long as you remember you have to allow time for recovery you should be alright.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
As a long distance runner I find jogging useful in match situations but you can't rely solely on that. I found that with the aid of endurance, your game will benefited a lot more so your body can deal with starty-stop motion of the game.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Training

Bang on the nose, Interval training is the way to go. Simulating you enviornment is a key way to train. If your really serious and can afford the time, I'd suggest weight training too. I train 4 days a week, upper and lower body routines to increase strength and endurance. I also add plyometrics each day, it's a way to train explosivly. I notice that it greatly improves my foot speed as well as my overall speed. But hey, this is only comming from a Kineisiology Student ;)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Inteval training would probably be better. But if you're running 90 minutes a day I'm sure you will be plenty fit enough anyway unless you're playing to a very high standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts