Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe old news, but your thoughts on this?

Company run by Jorge Mendes and Peter Kenyon which has half the transfer rights of 7 Sporting players and also Hugo Almeida

Most Portuguese clubs have 3rd party ownership of players too and it's common practice in South America as we've seen with Kia J and Tevez & co.

It's banned in England though.

In any case, is it a practice you support or a thing out of pure necessity to compete with the richer leagues?

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Maybe old news, but your thoughts on this?

Company run by Jorge Mendes and Peter Kenyon which has half the transfer rights of 7 Sporting players and also Hugo Almeida

Most Portuguese clubs have 3rd party ownership of players too and it's common practice in South America as we've seen with Kia J and Tevez & co.

It's banned in England though.

In any case, is it a practice you support or a thing out of pure necessity to compete with the richer leagues?
I mistrust this type of "financial engineering" as much as I disagree with the simple fact of the existence of football agents. I think they should be rubbed off as they are nothing less than pimps.

Sporting is using this but so are our two rivals in other shapes and forms. It was the only way this recently elected board found to have enough money to guarantee us with a decent squad that could fight for the different competitions where we are involved.

I am not happy with the fact that we are using it but between this and what was happening in the last two years in our club (buying decaying old farts or mid-table mediocre players) I think it is not difficult to guess what I prefer.

·
Registered
58,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mistrust this type of "financial engineering" as much as I disagree with the simple fact of the existence of football agents. I think they should be rubbed off as they are nothing less than pimps.

Sporting is using this but so are our two rivals in other shapes and forms. It was the only way this recently elected board found to have enough money to guarantee us with a decent squad that could fight for the different competitions where we are involved.

I am not happy with the fact that we are using it but between this and what was happening in the last two years in our club (buying decaying old farts or mid-table mediocre players) I think it is not difficult to guess what I prefer.
:howler:

How is it when it comes to Sporting's talents at the moment btw?

any youngsters on their way to becoming any good?

I just hope you won't go the Benfica or Porto route of buying who are no different to Shakhtar or Metalist Kharkiv at the moment

Feyenoord, Sporting and 020 = masters in producing homegrown talent :proud:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
:howler:

How is it when it comes to Sporting's talents at the moment btw?

any youngsters on their way to becoming any good?
Things are looking very good in that aspect right now. In the first squad we have been giving playing time to André Martins who is a very talented central midfielder that I can very well see as filling Moutinho's shoes, and hopefully not being an ungrateful whore.

Besides him our current U19 side is one of the strongest ever and I am almost sure that from it will come at least 2 or 3 future gems. Tiago Ilori and Edgar Ié (both CBs), Ricardo Esgaio and Michael (both full backs), João Mário (DM), João Carlos, Iuri Medeiros and Chaby (all attacking midfielders), Gael Etock and Betinho (both forwards) are all class players who I'm sure are already on the wish lists of all the European sharks.

Today against Lazio some of them might have some playing time but if you want to watch them in action I suggest you check the knockout fixtures of the Next Gen Series which are usually broadcasted live. They were the best side of all 16 in the group stage and serious contenders to win the tournament.

I just hope you won't go the Benfica or Porto route of buying who are no different to Shakhtar or Metalist Kharkiv at the moment
We did buy a lot of foreign players in the summer but the overall rule is that they have quality and are not older than 25-26. It's great to be a club that produces an unstoppable quantity of quality footballers but basing your main team line-up on young players is not an option. We did that in the last 5-10 years and the lack of trophies was a proof of it. We need a balance between young talented home players and experienced players and I think we have found a very good one right now.

Feyenoord, Sporting and 020 = masters in producing homegrown talent :proud:
:proud::thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts