Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mourinho plays down quadruple

Jose Mourinho watched his side go seven points clear at the top of the Premiership but then wrote off their chances of winning all four trophies available to them this season.
Mourinho's men tightened their grip at the top of the table with a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge last night.

Two first-half goals inside three minutes from deadly Didier Drogba set the seal on another impressive Chelsea performance and stretched their unbeaten run to 13 games.

There was more cause for celebration when title rivals Arsenal and Manchester United could only manage home draws against Manchester City and Tottenham respectively.

Chelsea are already in the knockout phase of the Champions League as well as the Carling Cup semi-finals and begin their FA Cup campaign against League Two side Scunthorpe on Saturday.

Mourinho says it is impossible to complete a clean sweep despite the growing belief among his players that such a feat can be achieved this season.

However, although he places more importance on success in the Champions League and the Premiership, Mourinho clearly takes every competition so seriously that he's even run the rule over the promotion chasing minnows.

'We want to win something, but I think it is impossible to win all four trophies,' said the Chelsea boss.

'You only have to look at the demands of the battle against Portsmouth to see why, but we have a good squad and we are trying.

'We have the FA Cup on Saturday and the Carling Cup semi-final next week. We have watched Scunthorpe like we watch any other team.

'We may change a few players for the game, if we can find any to change, but we will play to win the FA Cup. We will play to win the Carling Cup.

'Winning the Premiership or the Champions League is more important but we will not turn any trophy down.'

Mourinho's side finished the Christmas and New Year campaign with maximum points from four games and not a single goal conceded.

They have now chalked up a phenomenal 16 clean sheets on their way to the Premiership summit and Mourinho believes that the close-knit camaraderie among his players is responsible for them having the best chance of winning their first top-flight title for 50 years.

He added: 'I am happy so far. I came to Chelsea because of ambition, to manage a big club with the chance to win major trophies on a regular basis. I have to say I already feel like a Londoner, but where I am really happy is with Chelsea.

'What we have is a group of people so close in spirit, so strong and united in ambition, that tiredness, little injuries and occasional setbacks cannot knock us from our path.'

Mourinho has managed to emerge unbeaten from the festive period even though he was down to his last 16 fit players in the last week.

However, he is about to increase his squad size with the signing of CSKA Moscow midfielder Jiri Jarosik on loan for the rest of the season.

The player's agent claims the deal is almost done while Mourinho's assistant, Steve Clarke, refused to say whether the Czech player would be joining the club after last night's win over Boro.

Jarosik was alleged to have undergone a medical and held talks with Mourinho yesterday, but Clarke said: 'There's no news. I don't even know if he was at the game because we have been so focused on the match only.

'As far as I am concerned, he hasn't signed. The manager has said we are not going to sign anybody in this period but if somebody becomes available that we think can help us in the short term, then we will bring him in. But at the moment there's no news.'

However, Jarosik's agent, Victor Kolar, countered: 'Chelsea wanted Jiri immediately but CSKA were against it, so the loan was agreed at first.'

Now Kolar is hoping to get the necessary registration documents completed in time for the player to make his debut against Scunthorpe.

He added: 'Hopefully, we will get his clearance from Russia through in time.'

Jarosik will not be eligible for Chelsea's Champions League campaign as the 27-year-old has already played in the competition for the Moscow side.

www.soccernet.com
-------------------------------
would be happy with the double :p league and champions league :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
thanx for another shitty post! :)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
With Mourinho... you cant say NO.

He won all.. except the cup against benfica.. if i m not wrong.

And he isnt leaving anything to chance... as seen.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who votes to have serge banned from the chelsea section!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The key to that long interview was winning something. First get a trophy on your empty cabinet and then start dreaming about trebles and quadruples. For the moment the Premiership and League Cup looks highly likely to end up at Stamford Bridge.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
first win 3 trophise and wait till your in the final of the other then maybe talk about the quad.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
offcourse, no one is saying they will win all for, even he is saying it wont be possible. although he is saying that they will try to do whatever they can and that is admirable and who knows he may get 3 this year

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
With Mourinho... you cant say NO.

He won all.. except the cup against benfica.. if i m not wrong.

And he isnt leaving anything to chance... as seen.
QUOTE]

You are right on the money. The strongest indication that Mourinho is hungry for all four trophies, is his current dismissal of the possibility. The man says nothing that isn't calculated. He is telling the truth as far as his comments about team spirit go. He knows that's the key, and his pronouncements are not for the media, but to foster that spirit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts