Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Norway beat Qatar 5-0 in the first match in the tournament today. Morten Gamst Pedersen scored a hattrick, while Trond F. Ludvigsen scored the other two.

New coach Hallvar Thoresen had promised an offensive team, and Norway started with a 4-4-2-formation.

Since the Qatar-tournament is for U23-teams and not U21 teams, the Norwegian squad also includes Håkon Opdal, André Muri, Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen, Morten Gamst Pedersen and Kristian Ystaas.

According to assistant coach Geir Lunde, Viking's Jone Samuelsen and Ham-Kam's Petter Vaagan Moen were the best Norwegian players today.

Norge will play their next game against Japan on thursday 16.00 Norwegian time.

Qatar - Norge 0-5 (0-3)

Al Etehad Stadium in Qatar: 1000 spectators
Referee: Carlos Torres Nunez, Paraguay
Goals: 1-0 Morten Gamst Pedersen in the 9th minute, 2-0 Gamst Pedersen in the 26th minute, 3-0 Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen in the 38th minute, 4-0 Fredrik Ludvigsen on a penalty in the 53rd minute, 5-0 Gamst Pedersen in the 61st minute.
Yellow card for Norway: Morten Gamst Pedersen
Red card for Norway: Lars Martin Engedal in the 90th minute

Norway's team: (4-4-2): Jan Kjell Larsen - Morten M. Skjønsberg, Kristian Flittie Onstad, Lars Martin Engedal, Trond E. Berthelsen ( - Trond F. Ludvigsen, Jone Samuelsen, Petter V. Moen, Morten Gamst Pedersen - Christian Grindheim, Kristian Ystaas.

For those interested: AaFK's Joakim Austnes is part of the U23 squad, and played 15 minutes today. I hope that he will get to play from start later in the tournament.

Competing nations in the Qatar-tournament:

Group A: Japan, Qatar, Denmark & Norway

Group B: South Korea, Morocco, Switzerland & Paraguay

Norway's matches:

Tuesday 13/1, kl. 20.00: Qatar - Norway (18.00 Norwegian time)

Thursday 15/1, kl. 18.00: Japan - Norway (16.00 Norwegian time)

Saturday 17/1, kl. 20.00: Denmark - Norway (18.00 Norwegian time)

Playoff:

Wednesday 21/1, Semifinals

Friday 23/1, Final & broncefinal

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Orange said:
New coach Hallvar Thoresen had promised an offensive team, and Norway started with a 4-4-2-formation.
:dielaugh:

I guess that's offensive to you, considering your previous and infamous NT-tactics. :tongue: :D

Denmark (the U-20 NT :confused: ) btw won 1-0 against Japan - Jonas Kamper (Brøndby) scored the only goal.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll easily admit that sentence was a bit strange. The match wasn't on TV, so I based large parts of my post on what I could read about it on VG.no. Sometimes when I translate certain sentences in a hurry, they end up a little weird.

I think the point was that Thoresen used an offensive team, and the the formation the team used was 4-4-2. To some degree, two different things, but also linked together. Winning 5-0 should show that we played a good match, although I don't know how good Qatar was.

I didn't know the substitutes until a few minutes ago, and I now found out that Austnes did play, contrary to what I first thought.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
A 4-4-2 can of course also be more offensive than a 4-3-3 - it's how you play it that's the decisive part. ;)

Another thing. Denmark play with their U-20 and you with your U-23 ... :confused: Well, I guess it's pretty trivial. :)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's a U23 tournament, then it's natural to go there with the U23 team. Although we have gone there with a strengthened U21 team, not really a full U23 team. If we had, I am sure we would have had more players aged 22 and 23. :)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Japan scored two goals on deadballs as they beat Norway 2-1 today. It was a very tight match, and either of the teams could have won. Lyn-player Kristian Flittie Onstad scored Norway's goal.

Midfielders Jone Samuelsen from Viking and Ham-Kam's Petter Vaagan Moen were Norway's best players.

Now Denmark got a better start than us, so I hope that we will strike back with a vengeance come saturday. :)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Denmark won their second match 1-0 against hosts Qatar 1-0 - Esbjerg's Nicolai Høgh was the goalscorer.

Denmark now have maximum points from the two first matches of the group and a draw with Norway in the last match will be enough to secure a semifinal spot.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Norway beat Denmark 3-2 today, after goals from Tarjei Dale, Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen and Kristian Ystaas.

Norway (4-4-2): Jan Kjell Larsen - Espen Ruud, Kristian Flittie Onstad, Lars Martin Engedal, Trond E. Bertelsen - Joakim Austnes, Tarjei Dale (Jone Samuelsen i 71. minutt), Morten M. Skjønsberg, Lars Iver Strand (Christian Grindheim i 81. minutt) - Morten Gamst Pedersen (Olav Tuelo Johannesen in the 17th minute- Johannesen then swapped out with Kristian Ystaas in the 81st minute), Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen (Lars Kristian Eriksen in the 90th minute).

Joakim Austnes of Aalesund FK played the whole match, and had an assist on the second goal. :)

Norway 2 0 1 9-4 6 points
Japan 2 0 1 4-2 6 points
Denmark 2 0 1 4-3 6 points
Qatar 0 0 3 0-8 0 points

Qatar - Norway 0-5
Japan - Denmark 0-1
Norway - Japan 1-2
Qatar - Denmark 0-1
Qatar - Japan 0-2
Norway - Denmark 3-2

Norway will probably meet Switzerland in the semifinal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts