Xtratime Community banner

Who will win this Qatar Tournament Match?

• Draw with goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switzerland by 1 goal

• Switzerland by 2+ goals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vs.

March 26th 2020 - 7:30PM AST (5:30 CET, 12:30 EDT?)

The Qatar capital will host the 4-team international tournament which features teams which are all ranked inside the Top 12 in the world.

Along with World Cup runners-up Croatia, the tournament features world No. 1 Belgium, current Euro champions Portugal (ranked 7th) and Switzerland (ranked 12th). All four teams are also taking part in Euro 2020 in the summer.

Croatia will face Switzerland in the first match of the tournament on 26 March (7:30 pm local time). The next match for Zlatko Dalic’s side will be on 30 March when they take on Portugal (8:30 pm local time).

It will be the first time Croatia has played in Qatar, the country that will host the FIFA World Cup at the end of 2022, and both matches will be played at the spectacular Education City Stadium.

“I am proud that we were able to reach an agreement for Croatia’s participation in such a prestigious tournament. On the sports side, we assured top opponents for the national team which was the desire of coach Dalic and the professional staff, and on the other hand, we negotiated significant financial resources that can be invested in further development of Croatian football,” said HNS president Davor Suker.

(Photo: HNS)

“It is a well-known wish for Croatia to play strong friendly matches before the big competition, to see where we are and what we need to work on, so I am very pleased that Croatia’s participation in such a strong tournament has been confirmed. Switzerland and Portugal are great teams that we respect very much. The trip to Doha will also be a great opportunity to further bond and to have a good time after almost five months away from national team gatherings, which we certainly are all very much looking forward to,” said Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic.

Squad TBD

Betting odds:
TBD

·
Registered
69,126 Posts
It appears the squad will be named sometime this week, think I read somewhere Friday. Looks like there is a U-turn about Brekalo and he will join the 'A' squad rather than the U21s. Perisic is out injured

·
Registered
69,126 Posts
Squad will be named Monday, index reports Serie A based players probably won’t be called up as they won’t be allowed to go to Qatar

·
Registered
394 Posts
Where is Petkovic? Injured?
Don't understand either the skoric melnjak calls.

Katic? Pongracic ? Bradaric (good game against Lyon yesterday)??

·
Registered
501 Posts

Petkovic is there just can't see his name as it's cut out from that picture. Katic is back on the bench for Rangers and Progancic did not start well at Wolfsburg then got a red card and has not played since. Bradaric should be there but he did get a call on the extended squad. Melnjak is not good so not sure why he keeps getting called. The team Dalic called is most likely the team you will see at Euros. Maybe Bradaric gets in over Melnjak. Nothing really to surprising.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

sorry the forum cuts off the picture from the HNS tweet, if you click on it you will see the whole squad including a lot of guys that are on the bubble in case they need to be called up

·
Registered
394 Posts
So now it is clear that Budimir won't be in the plans unless a player is injured. With Bradaric having a decent time of play and aiming for top 3 in French league at 20 y o I hope he will be in the group.

·
Registered
69,126 Posts
So Škorić is going to the Euros...LOL
Don't get it really, when the entire CB pair was suspended, he who was essentially the 4th CB the entire qualifying cycle didn't even play, they had to bring a sub-par Peric to start ahead of him :rolleyes: I guess he is no different than the likes of Vejic or Buljat who made squads in the past but the difference is back in the Bilic days the CB depth was ultra thin so any breathing body made the squad. Skoric is a solid defender on a team who's currently 5th in the HNL, probably will finish 4th, and he isn't even a guy for the future in his late-20s, the fact he couldn't get sold abroad even with courtesy caps says it all. If he makes the squad I actually hope Dalic gets burned and has to use him at a match at Euro (if it goes ahead)

·
dinamo67
9,278 Posts
Yeah so Budimir out of the picture it seems. Colak is ahead of him which probably shouldn't be the case but whatever. Colak is having a good season but we're comparing La Liga to the HNL.

I agree with the Skoric call ups. Pretty frustrating. Bradaric should be in front of Melnjak in the pecking order.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
After Slovakia in Rijeka I'm pretty sure Dalić said he was planning to call up Katić for that game but he ended up getting injured...now he's behind some guys in the HNL and Championship...obviously some of the lower spots on these squads have to be filled by HNL players and one or two others...no other explanation why Čolak and Marić (especially) are ahead of Budimir.

Benković is coming off the bench for Bristol City but he's in...another guy who has done nothing in two years.

Melnjak at least plays regularly and in a decent league, too.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Looks like some of the bigger national federations are going to force UEFA's hand and have the Euros will be postponed for 12 months.

If it does happen, and it likely will, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle the WC qualifiers. As frustrating as it is waiting an year it's going to be great having all those NT games packed into 9-10 months. Just hoping Modrić and the other older guys don't decline too quickly.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts