Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in your opinion, who is the better defender, i know they both have different characteristics and are equally good at their own game, but i just think that there is no other defender like Carles Puyol, just the best in the world, but i am concious as to what other peoples opinions are

Opinions please

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Here We Go Again

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I really think that Rio is overrated! I know I might get hanged for this, but I don't think he's quite as good as people make him out to be. Not near the absolute best defenders, like Nesta, Samuel(Roma Samuel), Puyol and so on.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Ferdinand, easily, haven't seen anything from Puyol to justify him being a rated centerback. He isn't exactly keeping cleansheets galore, when I see kids brush him aside I feel affirmed in my opinion. I'd take a fit Woodgate over Puyol. Terry is better than both.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Rio is one of the most talented centre backs on Earth, in terms of passing and skill. I'm not sure he is amongst the very best in terms of being a pure defender. He is excellent however.

Having said all that, I wouldn't drop Puyol from our team for ANYBODY.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,204 Posts
In my opinion it's a draw. It is very hard to find a reason why to prefer one to the other. They are both among the top centre backs in the world. Puyol's strong points are his superior speed and workrate, while Ferdinand is better in the air (and maybe a slightly better tackler too).

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
LE21 forever!!! said:
i i just think that there is no other defender like Carles Puyol, just the best in the world, but i am concious as to what other peoples opinions are

Opinions please
The Italians, Spanish and all the other anti-england whiners will vote Puyol, the English and EPL-fans will vote Ferdidand.
Here's your answer, I believe this thread can be closed. :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
The Italians, Spanish and all the other anti-england whiners will vote Puyol, the English and EPL-fans will vote Ferdidand.
Here's your answer, I believe this thread can be closed. :eek: :rolleyes:
Campbell is in a different league. Terry is the world's most prolific goalscoring defender in the world and one of the best in the air. There.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Haroon said:
Campbell is in a different league. Terry is the world's most prolific goalscoring defender in the world and one of the best in the air. There.
C'mon give me a break, I know you're not that ignorant.
You know as well as I do this is another "my country is the greatest" + England-bashing-thread.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Puyol... obviously. Faster, nearly impossible to beat one on one, better positioning, more consistant, shines as the only real quality defender in an ultra attacking team. Pure class :star: . Definately one of the top 5 defenders on the planet.

Rio might be the third best England has to offer, although that's not really a put down with Sol and Terry ahead of him. But as good as Puyol.... meh.

NB: Marc is becomming my fave aversion for his untamed bias :).

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
You know as well as I do this is another "my country is the greatest" + England-bashing-thread.

To some. Then there are those who have no affinity to either Spain, England, Barca or Man.U.... and yet others who are simply able to stay clear of value judgements based entirely on bias.

:kiss:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All i wanted was ur opinion Kampfschwein, take it ezee pal, and no its not about country vs country, i genuinley want to know who people think is better overall, because of the two totally different styles they have, if u dont like it, dont give ur opinion

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
It won't become that type of thread. I'll try to keep things in check if this thread does the hippy hippy shake! :D Happy now? :) The question was raised by the thread starter because Ferdinand has been enjoying a purple patch recently. If people are objective enough then it is quite clear that Puyol is quite an awesome central defender. Ferdinand is good but not awesome.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Glen said:
To some. Then there are those who have no affinity to either Spain, England, Barca or Man.U.... and yet others who are simply able to stay clear of value judgements based entirely on bias.

:kiss:
Yeah, sorry guys. ;)
My apologies, indeed some of the users (like you and probably some others) still try to throw there unbiased view on the situation and try to make it a good discussion. :star:
But sometimes I can get a bit tickled off by a big part of the users that dont even care about the subject and just create those threads to express their chauvinisme and hatred for other countries/clubs. :neutral:

I'll try to keep it down. :D

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Glen said:
Puyol... obviously. Faster, nearly impossible to beat one on one, better positioning, more consistant, shines as the only real quality defender in an ultra attacking team. Pure class :star: . Definately one of the top 5 defenders on the planet.

Rio might be the third best England has to offer, although that's not really a put down with Sol and Terry ahead of him. But as good as Puyol.... meh.

Faster? Prove it. Are you joking? Like I said, seeing a kid brush aside Puyol with zero effort proves he has no physical presence. I'd take Toure over that. Better positioning? Prove it. Especially since Barca have conceeded so many goals compared to some. Ferdinand coming in later with that bum next to him and a useless goalkeeper has managed a goal difference with only four goals different to Barca. More games played sure, but then he hasn't played all those games. :D

As opposed to your bias? Everyone has a bias, the italian fans are some of the more obvious of all the fans. When I backup my opinion with facts I am a stats whore, if I don't I am biased. Useless logic. :pp

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Glen said:
Its almost up there with Dagoods and ronnie:googly: :howler:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Marc said:
Faster? Prove it. Are you joking? Like I said, seeing a kid brush aside Puyol with zero effort proves he has no physical presence. I'd take Toure over that. Better positioning? Prove it. Especially since Barca have conceeded so many goals compared to some. Ferdinand coming in later with that bum next to him and a useless goalkeeper has managed a goal difference with only four goals different to Barca. More games played sure, but then he hasn't played all those games. :D

As opposed to your bias? Everyone has a bias, the italian fans are some of the more obvious of all the fans. When I backup my opinion with facts I am a stats whore, if I don't I am biased. Useless logic. :pp
You only have to go to Matchday 3 and Matchday 4 vs. Milan when Puyol did one hell of a job trying to neutralize Shevchenko and the two times he wasn't there, the Stealth Bomber punished Barcelona not that it was Puyol's fault. The culprits being Belletti and Oleguer.

That's the pace, physical and awareness argument for you packed, stacked and racked. :cap:

Seems to me you are a Chelsea fan and obviously have this special spot for Puyol since he will be facing up to the Blues come February. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
barça said:
Its almost up there with Dagoods and ronnie:googly: :howler:
Yeah, I support England and have a bias to those players. And oh look, every other thread from every other user is about the bias they have for their club and players. Pathetic. Grow up, look up the word hypocrisy... then come back with an actual argument for ONCE... just to shake things up a little. Ya know, use some facts if you can. I know that is asking a lot, looking for an actual debate with logic as opposed to "mY taeM an plya's tha best the reatst suxxors!" but it'd make a nice change. :eek:

I mean ffs this thread is made from a barca fan about puyol, with an obvious anti-english bias from quite a few people here leaving obvious opinions with no facts. And AMAZINGLY enough you, a person who actually refers to himself as the friggin team he supports (should I change my username to England to help justify your crap) excludes the guy who doesn't go for the barca player. But yes, your right, my bias compared to yours is obviously worth comment. Btw, you don't happent o spend time talking about barca players, and a lot of time in the barca forum by any chance? :rollani:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts