Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have to make som new changes in the seleccion, one is to change the whole spirit in the game and the team.

The trouble we have to face, and have faced, is that the media in Spain has a huge advantage when it comes to choice teams, choice players and the general feeling is that they have the last word in every aspects of the game. I think it is a pity, pity considering that we in the last championship (Euro 2004) played with at least three Madridplayers (Raul Bravo, Helguera and Raúl) who were far off the game. Ok, Raul Bravo shouldn´t be anywhere near the Seleccion, but he were (he is a friend of Saéz), Helguera isn´t a truly central defender (but he was) and last of all, Raúl.

Well, Raúl has been of his game for a long while now. Like the whole Madrid, last summer, he was under the ice during the Euro and that´s destructing when you are a captain for the team. And that´s Raúls general problem, he ain´t that kind of leader who bring fire to his squad when he self are down and out. The picture of Raúl in that moment is of a guy who has his head hanging rather than yelling and screaming to his guys "to the bitter end" like, for example, Puyol does.
And the Barcelonista were, i think, the only one who truly fought on the late Euro in Portugal.

La Seleccion needs that kind of leader, that kind of fighter, that kind of inspiration who never gives up. We needs that kind of picture, the spanish fans desperately search for the picture were we don´t lacking the inspiration. WTF is that of a picture when the goalscorer of all time, Raúl, even Raúl (even tough he was horrific in Portugal) are hanging his heads? What then to do?

So bench Raúl and give the bandana to Puyol as i would like, having it, on a regular basis. He is the true captain with the cojones everyone lacking when things are difficult. After all, it couldn´t get much worse...
But, since i am a man of honest, i know this wouldn´t happen. Most clearly cause he is the frontfigure in Barcelona!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But i think he has the guts that Raúl sometimes lacks. The message he sends therefrom are obvious.

And, as i said, it couldn´t get any worse. When we had Hierro as a spanish capitán, it went pretty good, cause he´s a fighter (He is "Hierro" :strong:. But with Puyol, well, he is "guts" personified.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Barcawinner said:
I don't think Puyol should be the captain, because he is not a real leader.
I think you're on crack. I've never seen him play a bad match for Spain or you beloved cules and if it wasn't for his passion and leadership when things were going horribly at the begining of last season, god only knows where you would have finished in the league.

I have to agree, this would be a great choice. Especially because the majority of the players are from the same generation(Vicente, Reyes, Xavi, Joaquin, Puyol etc) that make up the core of the team and he seems to me to be the best candidate.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Barcawinner said:
:wth:

If Puyol isn't a leader, who is a leader?

The question about who should be the captain is also in Madrid. I don't think that Raul is the kind of player who can be a good captain, I don't think that Raul has the real leadership in his club.

In the Spanish NT, Raul is the captain because he's the one that has played more matches and the one that has more international recognition... although more for what he did some years ago than for his real form. In this case, Carles Puyol is an unquestionable figure among the Spanish fans, players and press. He shows that he's along with Ronaldinho the leader of Barça on the pitch, he always pushes his teammates and he gets the attention of the fans.

On the other hand, Raul has always been involved in strange cases. Hierro and Raul were the ones that destroyed the cellebrations of the last Liga title. Raul also showed his bad face, when Madrid's mayor didn't let them jump over the statue of Cibeles in Madrid (how can they ever be allowed to jump over a monument???), when he dismissed a police man saying: "Who are you tell me what we have to do? Give me the Mayor's phone number".

IMO, Raul should not be even on the bench because his form is poor and it has been this way for already 2 years, so I don't expect anything from Raul sometime soon.

I'm not a fan of Clemente, but he was brave enough to finish with the "Quinta del Buitre", a great collection of players, who gave some good moments to the Spanish football, but it seemed that they played in the NT just for bieng called Butragueño, Michel, Martin Vazquez and Sanchis. Now, Raul plays in the NT, because his name. There is no other reason... and we're all paying for this. For me Raul should not even be in the NT.

In this case, Puyol is the one who has all the abilities to be the captain, even with Raul on the pitch, but it won't happen, because Raul is untouchable for Luis and for the Spanish press.

·
40,147 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
Other reason? Maybe because he is Spain's top scorer?
So what... yes, and he won 3 CLs, he was "pichichi" long ago, etc. But I'm talking about today, about now. If Raul were at his 100%, he's the best striker in Spain... the problem is that he's far from his best form. IMO, nowdays, Raul is more a problem for the NT than a solution.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Barcawinner said:
:mad: :devil:

WTF are saying here?

Puyol not a leader???? :frustrat:

i've never seen a player playing with such passion and fighting spirit,he's the soul of barca(can u just imagine the team without him?? :mad: ) and his outstanding performances allowed barca to concede few goals this season(of course the whole team is behind this success) he always motivates the players and give them confidence he never give up and he's an example for all his team-mates:he's just exceptionnal:star:

Puyol would the perfect captain for Spain,Raul's time is gone he's finished the captain armband should be given to a player who would help the team to improve and get better and better and if there's a person who can do that it's Puyol. :hopefull: :stuckup:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I always found this captain thing to be overrated anyway. Wether its Raul, Puyol, Casillas or whatever, it wont make a difference :eek: Wearing that armband doesnt make you superman.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
being a leader is a quality of character, I know Raul has it as well as Puyol.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I agree the NT always have more Madrid players. But I couldn't link terrible performance of Euro 04 to the three you mentioned even Bravo.
Again no doubt Raul should not appear among the starters for the time being for his poor form. The armband is always in Madrid I think partly due to the overemphasis on Madrid by 'the past tradition'.
Raul is just not tough to push his colleagues. For toughness and strongminded, defenders always do the job. Puyol, even Albelda and Salgado can do it better, other factors being constant.
The armband doesn't make man stronger. It still makes it more convincing when claiming to the referees. In fact, only the captain has the right to do that when in some cases.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
To me, Raul will always be the captain, so long as he is still playing for Espana.

There's no removing of his captaincy. He is the inspirational captain, scoring or not.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I actually always thought that Raul is a good captain, he has that never say die attitude in his game and you always see him trying to rally his teammates. A perfect example of this was last year's CL game in Monaco, Raul was like a monster, he was doing everything from scoring to cheering on the team.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
And the match against AS Roma, when we were 2 goals down.

That left such an indention in my mind. *sighs*

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The captain should get his job done first as to lead his teammates. If the captain himself can't do his own job, he could not lead his teammates well. More capable teammates would not 'be convinced and motivated' by a less capable captain. However we should place stability on captaincy to make it sound. My reason to captain Puyol is Raul appears to look bad in the foreseeable future, but not his past two poor seasons. I don't know when will Raul come back... :lazy:

·
40,147 Posts
I only want to ask one thing: Why do everyone except the madridistas want to see Raul out of the NT?

Raul means a lot for the madridismo, but not for the rest. If he's not fit, I don't know why he should be over players who are doing better than him.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I only want to ask one thing: Why do everyone except the madridistas want to see Raul out of the NT?

Raul means a lot for the madridismo, but not for the rest. If he's not fit, I don't know why he should be over players who are doing better than him.
Too true. Also in regards to Madrid, they would be better if Raul wasn't starting for them as well. Raul is a burnt out player. He is like Hierro in his last days for Madrid except without Hierro's leadership.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Juanele1973 said:
Raul is a burnt out player. He is like Hierro in his last days for Madrid except without Hierro's leadership.
The only difference is that Raul is much younger than Hierro was.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts