Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bbc.co.uk - 606 debate said:
Some interesting chat from you lot that perhaps Martin Taylor should be banned for as long as Eduardo doesn't play. I have now seen a replay of the incident. I think it's fair to say it is badly-timed rather than malicious, the type of bad tackle you see all the time. Thankfully, it doesn't always end up with a player's career being threatened.
I guess most of you already saw or will see the pictures of Martin Taylor's tackle on Eduardo.

What do you think of the above idea ? I mean, should players commiting horrible & intentional tackles be suspended for the period their victim is injured ?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Intentional for sure, especially when it is guys like Brown and whats his name who played for city. People who go in two footed and high without regard for the player, constantly.

But that looked like a fairly normal poor tackle, just bad timing. And it really is unfortunate that Eduardo's foot was firmly planted and the ground didn't give any freedom. Terrible thing to happen but it happens, it gets silly when you try to react to isolated incidents like these with ridiculous rules. Its like mums who want games banned for two incidents surrounding game violence, when thousands are killed from drink driving but no one tries to ban alcohol/cars.

Would be interesting to know whether he had studs or blades on, thats the only thing I think you could look into banning.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Tackles like that intend to end peoples career's, if you look to tackle someone in that sort of manner, you don't deserve to play football, you belong somewhere else.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
So you think the guy in the first few minutes figured he really hates that Eduardo and wants to end his career? Or that it was early into the game and he had a mistimed tackle that ended horribly.

I've seen Scholes do far worse tackles, and most forwards when they can be bothered to try. They have been fortunate never to get that kind of injury to occur. I wouldn't say they're trying to end careers though. Certainly seen guys like Fabregas and RVP pull worse two footed high tackles, but they were young and inexperienced.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If he hadn't have broken his leg no one would be talking about the tackle. It wasn't that bad, there have been much worse tackles this season. I mean, just last week in the EPL there was worse.

It's horrible for Eduardo and I wish him a speedy return, but talk of banning is ridiculous, it's just one of those unfortunate things.

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
It's a shame that this tackle wasn't that bad and that there are many worse in the EPL, since these tackles can always end up like today.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Taylor'll get his ban. It won't nearly be long enough, but he'll get it all the same. The problem I have with incidents like this is that the FA will predictably put up some bravado, like they did with Thatcher, but they won't actually do anything about it.

What I want to see them do is start punishing the really bad ones that don't result in injury. I don't care if it's a contact sport. It's a matter of inches between a player walking away from it, or ending up with a broken leg like Eduardo. Michael Brown should've got ten games for his near assault on Giggs instead of a yellow card the other year. If they start coming down hard on them these sorts of things, however accidental or deliberate, will hopefully lessen. Players know they're largely going to get away with it because the FA's are so damn weak.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
For the fans out there who are calling for a life time ban or whatever. How do you compare this to the yellow card Fabregas got for his 'tackle' on Montgomery? Waaaaay more intent and danger in the tackle than this one, where it doesn't seem like there was any intent whatsoever.

And I guess that picture shows it is studs... really disgusting to see, perhaps that should be a link instead Barca?

Ref - Sliding tackles outlawed? They are usally the best timed and accurate tackles. They tend to be quite considered and nick the ball away. Relying on momentum to go into a tackle rather than jumping into the tackle.

·
Banned
3,390 Posts
Marc said:
Ref - Sliding tackles outlawed? They are usally the best timed and accurate tackles. They tend to be quite considered and nick the ball away. Relying on momentum to go into a tackle rather than jumping into the tackle.
I disagree. I get sick when i see a shoulderblock penalised whereas the most dangerous sliding tackles even if they end good go unpunished.
I mean where's more possible harm?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Marc said:
Ref - Sliding tackles outlawed? They are usally the best time and accurate tackles. They tend to be quite considered and nick the ball away. Relying on momentum to go into a tackle rather than jumping into the tackle.
Yes, it's the jumping ones that are the worst because of all the downward momentum and pressure landing on a leg or an ankle. They should be outlawed - even if there's no injury and a player gets the ball ala Henry on Weir in 2001 - completely because they're just plain dangerous.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Referee said:
I disagree. I get sick when i see a shoulderblock penalised whereas the most dangerous sliding tackles even if they end good go unpunished.
I mean where's more possible harm?
I disagree, look at the best tackles and they are either stepping in with good timing to steal the ball without going to ground or sliding tackles with precision and timing. Thinking of Woody and King for example, they will slide in with 'intent' to nick the ball and the sliding allows them to time it correctly as they are side by side with the running player. But of course on the ground so able to correctly put their foot to the ball and divert it. So all the energy is coming from the side, worst they do is maybe trip a player.

Onree - Agreed, the jumping in tackles have a lot less finesse about them and are usually more of a gamble in whether you'll get ball or player. Still, I'd be concerned about banning them as if you ban that then why not all types of tackles. And football as we know it really would go down hill. Just watch futsal if people don't want to see that side of the game. I think these incidents are rare enough that you can do it case by case. Its the same thing when Cech was injured there was all kind of reactionary talk about this or that rule to 'save' goalkeepers.

And guys, do we really need the pictures posted? Just post links, that way people who don't want to see it but discuss the issue can debate the thread. Its pretty graphic, and if there are younger members or older members with children around then its a little shocking.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Shocking injury; but honestly those kind of tackles are commen place. When Zakora got the ball against Man City with a two footed tackle and got a red-there was an outcry as to why he was red carded-when a player get's injured there is an outcry why more reds arent shown after dangerous tackles.

Knee jerk reactions.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
It happens, crap donkeys lunge in and it happens.

Banning people for as long as the other guy is out injured... well it adds some more justice to it doesn't it.

It's unlucky for the guy that's fouled he's out for however long so why not ban the guy that committed it too?

1 - 20 of 289 Posts