Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The largest of which most be the latest pulled off by Berlusconi :)yuck:) in the Kaka-City saga since it seems to be fooling almost everybody while you can see from a mile it is nothing but a puublicity stunt by the shady italian PM.

There was an article published few days ago (also see article quoted below) which predicted the exact same scinario that happened with Berlusconi first acting like if the deal will go theough then pulling off the plug at the last minute to look like a hero for Milan fans.

Seriously people (especially milan fans) get your act together and stop the drama, Berlusconi is playing with you like your puppets. :thmbdown:

Kaka hype a publicity stunt, says City source

17/1/2009
LONDON: The will-he-won’t he transfer saga of Brazilian star Kaka’s potential move to Manchester City for a record fee is “ridiculous” hype engineered by his club AC Milan, according to a source close to City’s Arab owners.

“The reports are absolutely ridiculous and so far wide of the mark it’s unreal,” the unnamed source told Sunday’s The Observer.
The media has been awash all week with reports that the 26-year-old former world player of the year might join City for upwards of 100mn pounds (110mn euros), and Milan have given the Brazilian star and his representatives permission to talk to the English Premiership also-rans.

On Saturday, Milan club president and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi claimed that with the figures allegedly on the table they could not stand in Kaka’s way if he wants to leave.
According to The Observer, the unnamed adviser to City’s billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, revealed from Abu Dhabi that the media coverage of a megabucks transfer and reported wages of up to half a million pounds a week were a fantasy.

That, The Observer suggested, gave “credence to growing rumours in Italy that the story has been hyped up by Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi, in an attempt to earn good publicity when no move materialises and Kaka stays at the San Siro.”

Zinedine Zidane’s 67mn euro move from Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001 is the current world record for a transfer.
“A 100mn, in pounds or euros, is ridiculous,” the source continued.
“It doubles the previous record for a transfer and, in the current economic climate, how could there possibly be a return on that or a salary of 500,000 pounds a week? You could do so much else with that amount of money.” (AFP)

·
Administrator
52,980 Posts
You would have to VERY naive to not know Berlusconi milked this like a hell. He is your typical sly politician, he doesnt venture into something without having two exit strageties he can spin as something positive. If he sold him for 100m, you can betcha he would find some way to spin it as the best possible news (he was going on about how it would be unfair to kaka to not make this happen, financial reward for him is too great etc). But also planned in advance that in case he found that selling him was too much of an obstacle, PR nightmare and most importantly the player not wanting to move whatsoever, then yeah, that he would milk ze cow for every drop, the reward for this being bigger then selling him PR wise.

I mean, there is hardly any doubt about it, just look how he announced Kaka would stay in LAST second, just minutes before it was announced Kaka would LEAVE, like it was official. Everything announced since day one was from his networks and papers, he strings people along quite expertly to say the least. Look at the Kaka thread in the Milan forum if you want to see the exact effects he was seeking for in making the transistion so quick. Becuase there is no way the deal just switched from sale to stay in that brief time (but consistently clear all along Kaka didnt want to go and jepordize his career like that, even if he was quite pressured to move), but it was in his absolute interest to prolong the "he will go" scenario as long as possible, to build up for the big finale of him giving everyone the relief they wanted. I mean, seriously just look at the video of him phoning in to announce the news. That strong reaction of one of the studio guests is exactly the kind of Golden reaction a manipulative politician like him THRIVES on.

A

·
0 Posts
If that figure of +150million€ was "ridiculous" why didn't say so before :rollani:
looks like some pathetic dog licking his wounds.

btw, i'm not denying/claiming that silvio didn't use this media spectacle for his own good, but we all know that it was kakà who stopped this circus, and not silvio/or mancity.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that figure of +150million€ was "ridiculous" why didn't say so before
looks like some pathetic dog licking his wounds.
That article was actually before the offer was declined. So thank you for proving the point.

A

·
0 Posts
That article was actually before the offer was declined. So thank you for proving the point.
I didn't see that. So you mean because of Berlusconis huge influence of Italian Media, English Media copied the Italian news 99%?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Either way... he'd use it to his advantage.

Had the deal been through, he already prepared the fans to blame kaka's greedy father, agent etc.... and how wonderful money can do to Football in this economic climate. Like he saved Football and probably wenger's ass for buying adebayor.

If the deal does not go through, as seen, he'd be the first one to Save Football too. (minutes after his own channel declare SOLD. nicely staged)

And money in this case is the ENEMY. He did it brilliantly.. and now fans are on Faith, Gospel etc. :D

Got to say... he is vgood in using the media., using Manchester City., to 'HERO' himself.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't see that. So you mean because of Berlusconis huge influence of Italian Media, English Media copied the Italian news 99%?
Everybody knows that the simplest thing can generate endless chain of rumours in football. How about when a club owner, director and coach come out and say publically "it is hard to resist this offer.. we are considering the sale"

That or Kaka prayers were answered finally and led him to right path? Umm.. Two hard choices.. I am lost! I better pay a visit to the Milan forum gospel, may god show me the light too.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The largest of which most be the latest pulled off by Berlusconi :)yuck:) in the Kaka-City saga since it seems to be fooling almost everybody while you can see from a mile it is nothing but a puublicity stunt by the shady italian PM.

There was an article published few days ago (also see article quoted below) which predicted the exact same scinario that happened with Berlusconi first acting like if the deal will go theough then pulling off the plug at the last minute to look like a hero for Milan fans.

Seriously people (especially milan fans) get your act together and stop the drama, Berlusconi is playing with you like your puppets. :thmbdown:
Why didn't you post this yesterday or the day before?:confused:
Why does it matter to you now? Do you ever do anything besides bitching?

A

·
0 Posts
Everybody knows that the simplest thing can generate endless chain of rumours in football. How about when a club owner, director and coach come out and say publically "it is hard to resist this offer.. we are considering the sale"

That or Kaka prayers were answered finally and led him to right path? Umm.. Two hard choices.. I am lost! I better pay a visit to the Milan forum gospel, may god show me the light too.
Whatever... wouldn't have it been a much better impact/media scandel if ManCity would tell DailyMail: "Berlusconi, the liar he is, lies constantly: we did no such thing as offer 100mill€, let alone 150mill€." If that would have happened, headlines would have appeared for sure.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
I can't wait until this guy signs for Real Madrid already...

- GOD BLESS AMERICA

·
1st Tier Poster
49,996 Posts
You would have to VERY naive to not know Berlusconi milked this like a hell. He is your typical sly politician, he doesnt venture into something without having two exit strageties he can spin as something positive. If he sold him for 100m, you can betcha he would find some way to spin it as the best possible news (he was going on about how it would be unfair to kaka to not make this happen, financial reward for him is too great etc). But also planned in advance that in case he found that selling him was too much of an obstacle, PR nightmare and most importantly the player not wanting to move whatsoever, then yeah, that he would milk ze cow for every drop, the reward for this being bigger then selling him PR wise.

I mean, there is hardly any doubt about it, just look how he announced Kaka would stay in LAST second, just minutes before it was announced Kaka would LEAVE, like it was official. Everything announced since day one was from his networks and papers, he strings people along quite expertly to say the least. Look at the Kaka thread in the Milan forum if you want to see the exact effects he was seeking for in making the transistion so quick. Becuase there is no way the deal just switched from sale to stay in that brief time (but consistently clear all along Kaka didnt want to go and jepordize his career like that, even if he was quite pressured to move), but it was in his absolute interest to prolong the "he will go" scenario as long as possible, to build up for the big finale of him giving everyone the relief they wanted. I mean, seriously just look at the video of him phoning in to announce the news. That strong reaction of one of the studio guests is exactly the kind of Golden reaction a manipulative politician like him THRIVES on.
and it worked like a charm, just read the threads in Milan forum. :undecide: Berlu's a hero now

personally I've never been much of a fan of TV reality shows because I know they're all for the most part staged and intended to bring out very predictable responses from the audience.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
To be fair, even if this is a publicity stunt by City themselves, its worked. We've become the most talked about side in Europe at the moment. Now if we bid for a top player, they may think "Well I could be joined by someone like Kaka here, they mean business". We've announced ourselves as potential major players without spending a penny.

Then again we still signed Bellamy for 14m

·
Administrator
52,980 Posts
But how did this PR move end up? Because at the end, thats what matters, you didnt get Kaka and ended up overpaying for average players like Bellamy and De Jong. Didnt exactly win plus points in prestige did you? Doesnt make it more likely to get top players.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why didn't you post this yesterday or the day before?:confused:

Becuase I have a life. I was on call at work for 34 straight hours. Stupid me I got busy treating sick children instead of writing about Milan just to prove a point for you. :moan:

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
But how did this PR move end up? Because at the end, thats what matters, you didnt get Kaka and ended up overpaying for average players like Bellamy and De Jong. Didnt exactly win plus points in prestige did you? Doesnt make it more likely to get top players.
I think it shows our level of ambition. It doesn't matter how much we paid for Bellamy and De Jong as we can afford it.

I think it shows we can tempt clubs to sell their stars and move for the big guns.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Think it's shown that City need to slow down. Trying to run before they can walk. City can get very good players but not superstars from top clubs atm. Let's remember that Robinho is only at City by default. Madrid wanted him out and wouldn't sell to Chelsea. This whole thing looks like a stunt by Milan. Man.City were naive enough to be a participant in it.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
3 parties . KaKa was also very good in 'stunting'

He made people believe that he was in Tears, where all the time, he knew that he was in CONTROL and a Decision maker. If he doesnt want to go No one could force him to.

An Cross Continent airticket for his Father and a glum face were just about the cost for his mega succesful save-footie PR campaign/advertising.

Now ACM can sell Billions of 'I believe in KaKa' T-shirts to the believerz.

Shrewd

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
01-21-2009

Berlusconi manipulates win-win Kaka football saga

As the world record Kaka transfer saga came to an abrupt end late on Monday with club and player claiming the Brazilian would stay in Italy, there was a palpable feeling that this had all played nicely into Silvio Berlusconi's hands.

The AC Milan president is a media mogul and his country's second-longest serving Prime Minister having held the position on four separate occasions.

He is a controversial figure who has an extensive record of criminal allegations being levied against him, so much so that last year he joked at a G8 summit: 'I'm the universal record-holder for the number of trials in the entire history of man - and also of other creatures who live on other planets.'

What has always been abundantly clear is his skill and cunning as a politician and he seems to have demonstrated his full repertoire in the Kaka transfer saga.

On Monday night, Berlusconi positioned himself as Milan's hero, the man who saved the club from the evil jaws of mega-rich Manchester City, who were trying to snatch Milan's prized asset.

'Both I and he (Kaka) have intervened,' said Berlusconi in an interview with TV station '7 Gold'.

'When I heard him say that he prefers to stay, that he doesn't feel like he has lost the opportunity to earn a higher salary and that he feels privileged to wear the shirt, he values the closeness and the friendships, the heat and affection that all the fans have shown him even in these last two days, I said 'hallelujah' and we hugged.'

Since then Kaka described Berlusconi as an 'incredible' man while Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani was also keen to present his superior as the hero of the hour.

'Once more the fans should thank president Berlusconi for his economic strength,' he said.

The whole affair has left a bitter taste in City's mouth with their executive chairman Garry Cook believing they had been played by Milan.

'If you want my personal opinion they bottled it. He clearly was for sale but we never got to meet with the player, the behaviour of AC Milan got in the way,' he told the BBC.

'We met with the football club and they made it quite clear that Kaka was for sale and we made it quite clear that we wanted to bring him to Manchester City Football Club.'

With the level of funds reportedly on the table - a 100 million euros fee for Milan and 15 million euros a season for Kaka - Milan were clearly tempted to sell.

The proof of that was the comments coming out of the club. Unlike the past when Berlusconi had claimed he would never sell Kaka, this time he said he could not stand in the player's way if he wanted to leave.

That essentially absolved Milan of responsibility if Kaka did leave, meaning that it would have been the player's choice.

Milan went to great lengths to demonstrate that they could not match City's salary offer while also never actually accepting the bid.

What then emerged was that Kaka never wanted to leave Milan, and certainly not for a team struggling in the bottom half of their league and without Champions League football to look forward to either this season or next.

Kaka, possibly feeling pushed into a departure by his club, certainly considered City's offer, but with the passionate fans response pleading with him to stay it seems that both club and player felt it would be a big PR own goal to let him go.

So Berlusconi, who undoubtedly would have splashed the Kaka cash on some big name signings while trumpeting his role in strengthening the team, instead announced his rejection of the colossal bid, taking the moral high ground and humorously for a multi-millionaire, claiming that there were things in life more important than money.

Had Kaka gone, Berlusconi would have won financially, now that he's stayed, the club president's popularity is set to soar instead.

ROME (AFP) © 2009 AFP

1 - 20 of 36 Posts