Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you suffering from PTWCD?? Do you find yourselves getting up at 2:30 am and turning on the TV hoping to find a game on Univision or ESPN, only to find a Spanish Soap Opera and Fly Fishing on these chanels??? Do you find yourself humming "Ole, ole, ole, ole....." or the theme to the "Great Escape" followed by the words "England"??? Or how about...."OHHHHHH Kolea...Ohhhhh Kolea..."

Well then you are suffering from Post Traumatic World Cup Disorder....it affects soccer fans world wide this time every four years...

Actually it happend to me just the other day...I went to sleep and for some reason woke up at 3 am, jumped out of bed wondering why I didn't set the alarm, cursing myself, turning on the TV and finding that X Games Classics were on ESPN and some Spanish Movie on Univision....and then I realized, the WC is over....so I had it..PTWCD....:D

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Bwahahaha!!! :D

No, so far I haven't woken up in the middle of the night thinking I might be missing a WC match. But sometimes, when it's past midnight and I can't get to sleep, I wish there would be a WC match to watch instead of just the usual cheap B horror flicks. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
My name is Austin and I suffer from PTWCD. Can you guys please help me ??

sounds like an Adidas Footballitus promo, I think will contact them right now maybe we can all get on a tv commercial !!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Didn't you guys tape the matches? When you suffer a PTWCD episode, just fire up the VCR, pop in a tape of Italy v. S. Korea and your symptoms will disappear!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I managed to have the day Off work today, and I found myself Up at the crack of dawn. Knowing there was nothing on I put on the tape of US vs Portugal, (I can never get tired of watching) After the game ended for the 19th time I felt lifted ready to take on the world, so I went outside and managed to finish the shed I started 2 years and 6 months ago. Two amazing feelings in one day it just doesnt manage to get any better than that.;) Herns right there is no PTWCD with the matches on tape.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not me guys. I satisfied my Jones last week with a trip to the Schwan's USA Cup. 1100 teams, 16,000 players, 52 fields, and 600 refs. I will give you a few highlights. Held in Blaine, Minn. it was my 3rd trip there.

Opening ceremonies: Sunday July 14: The teams march into the NSC Stadium Olympic style. Some teams had already started playing and were missing, but there were still enough to cover the entire field. There was an F-16 flyover, torch lighting done by some boys from Nigeria, and speeches by the President of Schwan's. I had the center of a game with the Nigerian boys on Wednesday.

My very first game I had the center with a FIFA ref for an AR. Neil Morgan from Canada. Great guy. Put up with my slow ass.

Monday July 15: I had 3 games scheduled with a gap at noon. Landon Donovan was at the stadium signing autographs at that hour, but I picked up a game because some refs hadn't made it in by then. I drew a Boys U 17 Cup Flight match between a team from Chicago v a team from Staten Island NY. The Staten Island team had the son of Cosmos player Edson Elcott and a boy whose father was a fireman murdered in the World Trade Center. The coach asked me to hold a moment of silence. We did a walk out and the players gathered around the center circle. I was going to lead them in the Pledge of Allegiance but I could barely blow my whistle. The biggest of many emotional moments for me.

Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday: The heat was gawdawful. Over 90 degrees with 90% humidity. At least the 110 it was in Boise didn't come our way. The weather broke a bit Wednesday night, and everyone was fresher after that. At one time on Wednesday there were 100 players on IV's for dehydration. Knucklehead coaches were more concerned with yakking at their players during mandatory water breaks, than in making them drink water. It was criminal. They were lucky they didn't lose anyone.

Every night there were parties to attend. Some local people hosted a barbeque, a couple of local restaurants had parties, and Friday night was the referee banquet. There was so much to do, it was a wonder I had time to ref. But I did. 23 games over 8 days. I could have done more, but the heat just knocked me out.

It was grueling, brutal work. I wouldn't trade it for a luxury cruise. I can hardly wait until next year.

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Great report, Doc. Too bad about the heat.

Did you get Donovan's autograph? ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I didn't get Landon's autograph but I did get to talk to a Scottish Premiere League ref. I asked him if he knew Hugh Dallas. He knew him but wouldn't relay the message I had for him. It had something to do with Hagis and places where the sun don't shine.:tongue:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Kerry, thats great. Glad you had a great time...I'll be satisfying my Jones as well. Every labor Day weekend since 1964, the Croatians of North America hold a Soccer Tournament. When it first started there were something like 8 teams and now 24 teams attend the torunament. Its a great and well organized tournament. We have our own Federation called the Croatians Soccer Federation fo the United States and Canada. Each team that is there is a legitimate team that plays in different leagues thoughout North America. Each player must be registered with that club..its very official.

There is a World Cup format, 6 groups of 4 teams, full sided games, but since it is over a weekend and all the games must be played including the semi-finals must be played on Saturday, the games are shorter...20 minute halves. The Federation rules state that the Finals must be held in a Stadium that can hold at minumum 3,000 people and beleive me there were years where there were about 10,000 people inside the Stadium...

Teams from Chicago, Cleveland, New York, Florida, Milwaukee, Toronto, Montreal, and other Canadian cites come and participate. The West Coast has their own tournament as well, but sometimes, one West Coast teams enters ours...mostly the Vancouver Croatia team comes but that is once every 3 years or so due to the expence involved.

Last year Milwaukee hosted the Tournament and this year it will be held in Toronto...every team gets a chance to host this tournament in their city.

The tournament was a way for Croatians to get together and show their pride, it was a great moral booster for the people especially before Croatia's independence..it was a way for us to show the non-Croatian's who we are and about our culture and the plight of our people and what better way than through football. My father in fact has a streak going....he came to the US in 1966 so he missed the first two tournaments, but since 1967 he has been to every single Croatian Tournament...so, this year on to Toronto....

As I said, there is some high quality soccer played at this tournament and some great players as well who have played professionally in Europe and even in the not to distant past, some teams had ex-NASL players....

So, if anyone plans on being in the Toronto area over Labor Day...feel free to drop by and enjoy the games...all day Saturday with the Finals on Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
JureM said:
Are any of you suffering from PTWCD?? Do you find yourselves getting up at 2:30 am and turning on the TV hoping to find a game on Univision or ESPN, only to find a Spanish Soap Opera and Fly Fishing on these chanels??? Do you find yourself humming "Ole, ole, ole, ole....." or the theme to the "Great Escape" followed by the words "England"??? Or how about...."OHHHHHH Kolea...Ohhhhh Kolea..."

Well then you are suffering from Post Traumatic World Cup Disorder....it affects soccer fans world wide this time every four years...

Actually it happend to me just the other day...I went to sleep and for some reason woke up at 3 am, jumped out of bed wondering why I didn't set the alarm, cursing myself, turning on the TV and finding that X Games Classics were on ESPN and some Spanish Movie on Univision....and then I realized, the WC is over....so I had it..PTWCD....:D

No, no PTWCD, but I find myself scanning FSW and watching reruns of old EPL and german league matches. Does that count? ;) :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts